Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 09:00 PM

388 posts, read 275,793 times

Advertisements

My friend and mine relations is like 'Tony' with 'Danny' in 'The Shining'! This is my friend's indulgence today:
1) 3 Coors Light and a vodka-pomegranate (1.5 oz) by lunch
2) 2 shots of bourbon on the rocks after 5 PM.
3) Approx. 2 glasses of Pinot Grigio (Bota Box) at about 8-10 oz each.

As indicated previously, during the holiday season, he goes a bit too far.

But last Fall, when his numbers were so high, as indicated in the Nov. 13 screen shot above-- he came back from 'unlimited' booze package cruises spanning weeks and made good use of that.

Not a healthy life, by any measure. However, such gluttonous behavior has been sustained by him without any obvious consequences for almost 3 decades. One of our mutual friends--a highly educated/smart guy with knowledge of physiology thinks my friend has a 'strong constitution' and eats 'a healthy diet'.

An interesting aspect of his drinking is that, while he drinks copiously every day, his indulgence is spread over 8-10 hours with abundant water in between and mixed drinks watered-down. He doesn't drink to get 'drunk'. A slight buzz is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 10:03 PM

857 posts, read 843,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meengla View Post
Attached are results of my friend's liver enzyme.
1) 13 Nov. 2019: Really high after several weeks of extreme indulgence.
2) 14 Jan. 2020: Normal after moderation. (It was January--not March )

Not saying anything For or Against--sharing something related to the original question and my friend's own life.
While high for a normal/healthy person, I have seen numbers 4 times higher (in drinkers of course) that with time and stopping drinking completely, have gone down to the healthy range.

As stated by others already, one has to either continue down that self-destructive path or do a 180 and rethink his/her priorities. Sadly, no amount of education, wealth, etc. will make that decision for you or prevent the inevitable should one continue walking, or should I say stumbling down that path...

Old 12-24-2020, 08:57 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,193 times
Quote:
Not a healthy life, by any measure. However, such gluttonous behavior has been sustained by him without any obvious consequences for almost 3 decades. One of our mutual friends--a highly educated/smart guy with knowledge of physiology thinks my friend has a 'strong constitution' and eats 'a healthy diet'.
It's called getting lucky. Like the hundred year old who has been drinking whiskey and smoking cigars for seventy years and has had no apparent bad effects. Or like the guy who's been driving drunk for twenty years and has never been pulled over. Meengla's "highly educated" friend might want to take a statistics course or two - it's called being on the far end of a normal distribution. Assuming of course that the "friend" exists:

Quote:
My friend and mine relations is like 'Tony' with 'Danny' in 'The Shining'!
Folks, meengla's "prigrossinally successful" friend (see his earlier post) is a figment of his imagination. I suspect we're being jerked around.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:10 AM

388 posts, read 275,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
It's called getting lucky. Like the hundred year old who has been drinking whiskey and smoking cigars for seventy years and has had no apparent bad effects. Or like the guy who's been driving drunk for twenty years and has never been pulled over. Meengla's "highly educated" friend might want to take a statistics course or two - it's called being on the far end of a normal distribution. Assuming of course that the "friend" exists:

Folks, meengla's "prigrossinally successful" friend (see his earlier post) is a figment of his imagination. I suspect we're being jerked around.
You are from my nook of the world!

No, you are not being 'jerked around'; perhaps a weak attempt for anonymity but the rest is all, on Scout's Honor, no exaggeration or even a word of fabrication. What to gain from exaggeration or fabrication? Bragging rights for over-indulgence? Nah.

I think 'luck' has a lot to do with some situations.

Anyway, a new year is around the corner and positive changes coming up...

Old 12-24-2020, 09:55 AM

15,424 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post

The opposite of the lucky 100 year old is Humphrey Bogart, who died at 57 from esophageal cancer after decades of heavy smoking and drinking. It all depends on your genetics, I think.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:09 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The opposite of the lucky 100 year old is Humphrey Bogart, who died at 57 from esophageal cancer after decades of heavy smoking and drinking. It all depends on your genetics, I think.
George Burns comes to mind with the cigars and living past 100

Old 12-24-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
It's a combination of genetics and environment -- same as with developing mental illness. You also have comedian Andy Kaufman who was never a smoker dying of lung cancer. Doing unwise things increases your chances that bad things will happen to you - whether you're talking smoking habits, drinking habits, or driving habits. The most highly trained drivers in the world increase their chances of causing an accident if they run red lights and speed through residential areas -- which is why police are less likely to engage in high-speed chases these days.

Old 12-25-2020, 11:13 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,423,146 times
Quote:
My friend and mine relations is like 'Tony' with 'Danny' in 'The Shining'! This is my friend's indulgence today:
1) 3 Coors Light and a vodka-pomegranate (1.5 oz) by lunch
2) 2 shots of bourbon on the rocks after 5 PM.
3) Approx. 2 glasses of Pinot Grigio (Bota Box) at about 8-10 oz each.

As indicated previously, during the holiday season, he goes a bit too far.

But last Fall, when his numbers were so high, as indicated in the Nov. 13 screen shot above-- he came back from 'unlimited' booze package cruises spanning weeks and made good use of that.

An interesting aspect of his drinking is that, while he drinks copiously every day, his indulgence is spread over 8-10 hours with abundant water in between and mixed drinks watered-down. He doesn't drink to get 'drunk'. A slight buzz is all.
You are relaying these stories like this is a good thing. It's not. I know someone who smoked like a freight train their whole life and lived to be 92. That doesn't mean smoking is a good thing or even not that bad. It is.

The more the medical community studies alcohol and its effects, the more we realize how bad it is. I was never a heavy drinker - maybe a few glasses of wine a week. I quit drinking about 4 years ago. It was just supposed to be a temporary, eating clean thing. But I decided to not drink again. Part of it is that it's just not healthy, and I really didn't miss it. But most of it was being around people who did drink. People may have 2 drinks and think it doesn't affect them. It does. You just don't notice it if you are drinking yourself. But your behavior changes, and people who aren't drinking can tell. That was really off-putting to me.

I have a family member who has been a heavy drinker for decades. He is 78 years old and in relatively good shape considering. Some would say that the drinking has had any ill effects for him. I don't know what his blood tests say, but I do know that it has affected his cognitive abilities. Some of that can be attributed to age, but I would bet money they most of it is due to or at the very least exacerbated by the heavy drinking.

Old 12-25-2020, 11:19 AM

648 posts, read 431,458 times
Imagine how long those very old smoker/drinker people would have lived if they were not excessive?

Old 12-25-2020, 01:09 PM

Summary: live a healthy lifestyle until you're 80, then do whatever the hell you want.

Quote:
Once you’ve made it to about age 80, time has already informed you that you’re part of the longer-lived subgroup of the human family.

The take-home message on the secret to longevity is therefore surprisingly simple. Adopt a healthy lifestyle early to maximise your longevity potential; time will reveal to you whether you belong to a long-lived subgroup of the population; and, by the time you reach the age when you know the answer to this question, you’ll already be old enough to know that most of what you thought you knew about human ageing is probably wrong.
(source)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness