Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 07:00 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Both my Father and FIL (both in their late 70s) have been able to schedule their shots with a large health system here in Houston and will be getting theirs in the next week or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Depends on where you are. Texas has given the go ahead to start vaccinating group 1B, but no one here in Austin is actually doing that because they haven't even gotten through all of group 1A yet, and they don't have enough vaccine.

My in-laws are in Houston and they were able to get an appointment for next week through one of the large hospital systems, but they are having to travel about an hour out of the city for it.
I have a "This Week with George Stephanopoulos." transcript in front of me from this morning, and a reporter told Martha Raddatz, "To give you an idea how this is going, the city of Houston opened up a phone line to book vaccination appointments. They were offering 750 shots, and they received 250,000 phone calls."

Remember how we were supposed to vaccinate 20 million people in the U.S. before the end of 2020?
It was not even close. I know that here in the SF Bay Area, our frontline healthcare workers have not all been vaccinated yet, let alone other doctors and nurses (so that elective and important procedures like colonoscopies, etc. can proceed) and then we have a variety of different workers before elderly 65+ next and everyone else.
We begin 2021 very far behind in protecting the most vulnerable and everyone else, and we aren't even close to putting this disease in the rear-view mirror.

I would love to see a spreadsheet online which compares how state is doing vaccinating the elderly, in what order, and how successful they are keeping to their vaccination schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 08:50 PM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Saw a notification for my current state/local area that they were giving vacciations for those over 80.
Heard from a relative up in NE that their mother in one of those assisted living places was recently diagnosed with Covid19 but they did not have the vaccinations up there. Maybe they do now.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:35 AM

469 posts, read 466,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL at the idea of getting appointments for covid vaccination via Ticketmaster. But whatever works, I guess, and IMO making appointments should be better than having to wait in long long lines with no assurance they won't run out before you get to the front spot.

It sounds as though they make appointments when they know the exact number of vaccine doses they will be getting, and that number may not be known to them much in advance.

It's a work in progress, I'm sure it will get better.
Eventbrite is the ticketing agency running it. I agree with you. Supply is very limited right now so I do believe things will improve as time passes. Even though Florida has opened this up to 65 and older I don't expect to get it until it becomes available at CVS and Walgreens in late March at the earliest. Even then lines will be long. I'm hoping to get it by early summer.

Old 01-04-2021, 05:05 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
I was able to get him vaccinated today. It was a walk-in process which was a mess. We had to wait for 4 hours in line, but it was finally done. I don't recommend doing this. Go with the scheduled appointment or invitation from your local hospital system instead. This walk-in should only be done if you are unable to schedule or didn't receive any invite from your local hospital system. Good luck and thanks!

Old 01-05-2021, 10:49 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
I received my first vaccination this morning. I'm very grateful that my county is doing this by appointment only, and that I was able to get registered and get an appointment online before they closed the appointment window. It was very easy today: about an hour and a half from arrival to departure, and that includes the 15-minute post-vaccination observation period.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:17 PM

469 posts, read 466,177 times
Our county in Florida has been swamped with registration attempts. They get maxed out within one minute. You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning than getting registered here. I've been trying neighboring counties but haven't had any luck there either. Our tri-county region is the Old People capital of the world, though so I'm thinking we may have to get mobile and try elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness