Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2021, 12:20 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
So, if vaccinations are effective, then get your vaccinations and quit worrying about what other people do or don't do. If vaccinations are NOT effective, then why should people who don't want them be forced to get them just to please you? There are plenty of incidents starting to come to light in recent days about SEVERE adverse effects from getting the Covid vaccine. Some of these adverse effects were DEATH. I'd say that's pretty severe!
Easier said than done. The last administration screwed up the implementation of the vaccine so badly that most people will not be vaccinated until summer or beyond.

I worry about people who flaunt the guidelines and help the virus spread more. It would be great if we could all be in compliance with mask wearing and social distancing. Just imagine how fast we would get over this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 01:01 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,239,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The 1918 pandemic did just that. For whatever reason experts seem to think that is not happening this time.
The Spanish Flu is not "extinct". It is currently known as H1N1.

However, the Spanish Flu has mutated to be less deadly and in a sense, does not exist as it did in 1918/1919.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:16 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The bolded does not appear to be correct, as of a announcement made a couple of hours ago. Not with respect to Moderna which although it may be less effective appears to remain above an acceptable efficacy threshold.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ts/6698624002/

Both Pfizer and Moderna appear to work with full efficacy against B.1.1.7. Pfizer has not yet released data on its efficacy estimate about the South African variant. Adjustments to the mRNA vaccines can be made quickly and should be approved without extensive new trials. Its possible booster shots may be required in any case in about a year that could easily incorporate needed adjustments.
They came out with a cryptic news release about their vaccine. They said that there was a sharp drop in the amount of antibodies that were created in response to the strain. That means the protection is either less effective now and the protection will be gone much sooner than the 5 months currently projected after the second shot. They're now working on a 2nd booster shot so you may need 3 shots of vaccine over time.

There was a similar announcement from J&J on a trial for their vaccine that announced only 71 days of antibodies when given the shot.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:36 PM

6,005 posts, read 3,739,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Easier said than done. The last administration screwed up the implementation of the vaccine so badly that most people will not be vaccinated until summer or beyond.

I worry about people who flaunt the guidelines and help the virus spread more. It would be great if we could all be in compliance with mask wearing and social distancing. Just imagine how fast we would get over this!
That's just a pipe dream. It's totally impossible, but many people like to think (dream) that it would. I prefer to live in the real world and make decisions based on reality, not on some pipe dream.

It's also just another way of trying to shift blame to other people instead of taking responsibility for your own actions. It's your choice what actions you take and how you live.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:44 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,294,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande View Post
So many are masked to the 9's, social distanced like crazy, shields added, wash hands 20 times daily and yet so many believe these are the answers to all this madness.

They are part of the answer, and anyone who doesn't see that has their head in the sand or couldn't pass a 3rd grade science test.

The days of fake news and alternative facts are over.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:54 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
The virus is behaving as these type of viruses do. They evolve. In a way, that's a good thing.

The virus, like all living things, wants to live. Killing its host is a 'fail' for the virus. If the host dies, the virus dies. Soooo, it mutates into a less deadly virus, that won't kill its host.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:59 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,876,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I've had Covid and it seemed to come in waves.
That's what happened to me. I thought I was better then it came back. I'm going on day 9 now. Lasts so much longer then the flu.

Old 01-25-2021, 02:18 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,064,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
It is more likely to mutate into a form the vaccine is no longer effective against, and in any case I am sure it will now become an annual seasonal outbreak like the flu, as long as one person has it they will infect others again...
That line of reasoning discounts the immunity established by those who've been infected & those who've been (& will be) vaccinated.
It may wind up being "always out there", like MERS & Ebola, but it will eventually be (in a pragmatic sense) eradicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The 1918 pandemic did just that. For whatever reason experts seem to think that is not happening this time.
Which "experts" think that ?

Old 01-25-2021, 02:55 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,239,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
That's what happened to me. I thought I was better then it came back. I'm going on day 9 now. Lasts so much longer then the flu.
I had mild waves of symptoms over 12 days. Days 0-3 were sore throat only. I only scheduled a COVID test as a request from the doctor's office. Days 4-5, low-grade fever and extreme fatigue. I slept most of both those days. Days 6-12 were not bad at all. I walked outside on the warmer days to breathe in the fresh air. I would tend to run a low-grade fever every afternoon for an hour or so. I lost my smell and taste on day 8 but it returned exactly one week later. That was probably the toughest part. Losing my senses of smell and taste made it difficult to eat much of anything without getting nauseated.

I returned to work on day 15 (telework). I was a little tired for a couple of days but I've felt great since.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:57 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
That's just a pipe dream. It's totally impossible, but many people like to think (dream) that it would. I prefer to live in the real world and make decisions based on reality, not on some pipe dream.

It's also just another way of trying to shift blame to other people instead of taking responsibility for your own actions. It's your choice what actions you take and how you live.
I am only blaming the former administration. We can lessen the spread of the virus if e follow the proper precautions. We know that Thanksgiving and Christmas spread the virus more because people took chances. Once we get vaccinated we can at least lessen the spread by a significant number so we can all get back to normal.
I am responsible for how I live. I think people who go maskless are ass holes that don't care about others since wearing a mask is about protecting those around you. That is living in the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness