Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 10:47 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times

Advertisements

I know, weird question, but I'm curious.

I seem to be on "hip precautions" for the rest of my life, so no reaching down to the ground. I have one of those picker-things but I like to try and deal with it with my own body, and not call on DH all the time.

So I open the lower drawers and try to lift lighter items with my toes, so I'm not bending so far. Of course I don't want to lose my balance---that would be worse---but it's interesting to see what can be done.

Arm amputees deal with this all the time, so it's nothing new, but most of us aren't using our toes much, I'd guess.

Doesn't work for anything too heavy of course. But it does help for small stuff. Now I just need some sturdy loafers so I can get into shoes without bending down when I'm not wearing flip-flops.

It's a bummer because I CAN easily put my hands flat on the ground, bending at the waist. But not allowed now.

It reminds me of the African women carrying stuff on their heads. We never learned that either, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 12:03 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,238,771 times
I can pick up most anything up to a few lbs with my toes. I credit my dad for passing on to me his monkey feet. He used to hang upside down from my swingset by hooking the top of his feet over the bar.

When I take off my shorts, I like to grab them with my toes, toss them into the air, and catch them with my hands. It greatly entertains the wife.

I also have very flexible hip joints. I can drop to the lotus position without a second thought.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2021, 12:05 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
I can pick up most anything up to a few lbs with my toes. I credit my dad for passing on to me his monkey feet. He used to hang upside down from my swingset by hooking the top of his feet over the bar.

When I take off my shorts, I like to grab them with my toes, toss them into the air, and catch them with my hands. It greatly entertains the wife.

I also have very flexible hip joints. I can drop to the lotus position without a second thought.

Good luck!
Hip flexibility is especially unusual for men - the few I see in yoga classes usually have their knees practically up by their ears when they try to sit cross-legged, much less lotus!

Old 01-27-2021, 02:14 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times
My father, sister and I could do this. I did up until I landed in a wheelchair; it used to creep my DH out, but it really came in handy when I had two kids under two.

I was also double jointed and was a gymnast (until I got too tall) and was a cheerleader. When I was in Army basic training I wasn't so great with push-ups or the two mile run, but I actually stunned every Drill Sgt by doing full out tumbling on the blacktop whenever I got the chance. My DH just reminded me of this last night (he was in my Company).

Old 01-27-2021, 02:19 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times
Ever since childhood, I've used my toes to pick up things. It's convenient and feels natural to me to do so. I'm pretty flexible and have always had fairly good balance, so that might also factor into why I tend to pick up things with my feet. Other family members can do this (including my 77-year-old mother), so perhaps it's genetic.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:42 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Sure, always did when younger but now only with one foot. Pins in toes on the other prevent them from curling enough.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:31 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
I never tried to used my toes joe.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:40 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Absolutely.

When I had little kids, sometimes one was on my hip and a diaper bag over the other shoulder. If I wanted to pick up a sock on the floor, it was with my toes with a handoff to my free hand, or I could toss it onto the washer with my foot.

My husband was so tickled by how deft I was, and thought it was hilarious that my niece did that, too, when she had a baby. Sometimes, two hands aren't enough. ;D

Old 01-27-2021, 05:46 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Whilst in physical therapy, they had me pick up marbles with my toes. (I was holding on to a barre.)

Old 01-27-2021, 05:53 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
What you need for your shoes is a long-handled shoehorn, to hold the back of the shoe open. You can also use it to hold the shoe steady while you take it off.

I used to be able to pick things up with my toes, but not anymore. I've got a lot of hardware in my right ankle and my toes cramp up and get stuck when I try to pick things up with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness