Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 12:25 AM

318 posts, read 179,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
I skimmed through most of the replies, so I may have missed this, but I don't think so. Seems no one has suggested that maybe it's sleep apnea? I would ask my doctor to do a sleep study on me to see if you have sleep apnea. That would be the first and most logical thing that may be causing the tiredness and the less hours of sleep.

That being said, as you get older your sleep patterns do change. Have you tried meditation? Most medicines including natural ones are for putting you to sleep, not keeping you asleep. Some have longer acting affects than others. Actually most of the things people have already suggested are mostly to put you to sleep, not keep you there. My husbands doctor said there's not much they can do about keeping someone asleep. He has the same issue as you do, just not 100% of the time.

Try the sleep study and see what they have to say!

Oh well the doctor didn't mention sleep apnea as a possibility but I can ask him about it. Thanks.

As for the idea before to make sure I sleep at the same time everyday, because of my job situation right now, I have to change sleep times here there, on certain days though. I don't think I can avoid this for now though unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 06:18 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,031,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhamilton View Post
Oh well the doctor didn't mention sleep apnea as a possibility but I can ask him about it. Thanks.

As for the idea before to make sure I sleep at the same time everyday, because of my job situation right now, I have to change sleep times here there, on certain days though. I don't think I can avoid this for now though unfortunately.
Some doctors solution after sleep study is to put the person on CPAP machine at night. I know someone that happened to but he is in 70's not the OP's age.

I'm Medicare age and have trouble sleeping at times.
Valerian tea really works for good sleep but I didn't like something about it so quit, can't remember exactly.
Eating anything sweet after 8 pm is guaranteed to cause insomnia for me.
Delta 8 gummie, just a quarter of the gummy, works well and it's legal here amazingly.
Alcohol is a sleep disruptor so I avoid...mostly

Good luck, all who need help to sleep. It's been a moving target for me but worth it.

Old 09-17-2021, 06:56 PM

7,123 posts, read 12,659,449 times
Exercise, adequate water intake, and taking a magnesium supplement pill (a muscle relaxer) shortly before bed help me to get the adequate sleep that I was missing.

I also get off the computer or TV an hour before I plan to sleep. And black-out curtains in the bedroom as light keeps me awake...

Sometimes, a kind of boring book (with lots of data and details) will help put me under--but an exciting one keeps me reading far too late...

Old 09-17-2021, 07:54 PM

Oh well in my job, I stare at a computer screen for almost all of it, but could this be the problem? I do like my job though overall.

Old 09-18-2021, 12:37 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,282,644 times
Quote:
Oh well in my job, I stare at a computer screen for almost all of it, but could this be the problem? I do like my job though overall.

Sedentary job, sedentary life with no exercise, neither are going to help. Unless the screen time is late in the day the sedentary aspect probably has the greater impact. I'm reading this at 1:30 am after going to bed at 10:30. I couldn't get any exercise yesterday because I had a gout flareup. Normally I don't wake up too soon until about 3:30

Old 09-23-2021, 04:07 AM

1 posts, read 379 times
I feel you need to form a routine. No usage of gadgets in bedroom, eat properly and in time, exercise regularly, drink plenty of water. Things can change when your body responds to it.

Old 09-23-2021, 04:27 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,166 times
Powdered Magnesium. Fizzy drink before bedtime. Well tolerated-no gastric side effects. Also helps keep the body detoxed.

Old 09-23-2021, 08:12 AM

Okay. I've tried some of these herbal things like melatonin and lavender, etc. But it seems to me that they are just not very aggressive if it's herbal, unless I'm wrong?

Old 09-23-2021, 08:55 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,293 times
Quote:
Okay. I've tried some of these herbal things like melatonin and lavender, etc. But it seems to me that they are just not very aggressive if it's herbal, unless I'm wrong?
Remedies for insomnia depend on the cause. You have to match the remedy with the cause.

There are many causes for insomnia, and more than one factor could be contributing to it.

Try to determine the causes(s) for your insomnia. https://www.sleepfoundation.org/inso...auses-insomnia

Old 09-23-2021, 09:25 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,401,655 times
Quote:
Oh okay. I am 37 but is it normal for a 37 year old to sleep for 4-5 hours a night, especially if he still feels tired a lot, like he is not getting enough sleep? Plus I feel look tired a lot too, unless that's normal at my age? I drink alcohol like a beer on my days off, or two. But I don't drink any caffeine and try to avoid that. As for going to bed earlier, it's just difficult because of my schedule and work.
Rather than add a tiny bit of new information after a page of people trying to help with only the limited information you provide up to that point, why not list EVERYTHING you think people might ask, and answer it in one go:

1. what's your diet like?
2. you say you can't exercise because you don't have time.
3. how's your overall health?
4. You say you're a 37 year old male
5. how's your weight?
6. What meds, if any, do you take for any ailment of any kind, on a regular basis?
7. Have you done an actual sleep study with a sleep study center?
8. Are you content with your job?
9. Do you suffer from depression?
10. What time is dinner for you usually, and what time is it when you consume your last snack at night (if any)?
11. Do you eat breakfast?

Here's some responses from me based only one what info you've provided so far:

1. You get two days off every week. You can exercise two days per week. Unless you're confined to a wheelchair, no excuses. And even if you are confined to a wheelchair, if your arms work, you can still exercise.

2. Have a cup of coffee or tea WITH caffeine in it every morning when you get out of bed and start your day. Just one. Make it a habit, part of your morning routine.

3. Don't eat after 7pm, assuming you are in bed by 11pm. Adjust the timing as needed. Minimum 4 hours between last thing you eat and bedtime.

4. See if they'll give you a standing computer desk at work. Some places offer this as an option for employees. If part of your job is being on the phone and listening to people on the other end, you could just stand up every time you answer the phone - and when you need to use the computer again, sit back down. Circulation of the blood is important.

Your body just isn't tired enough to sleep for 8 hours even though your mind is. You NEED to move your body more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness