Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 10:16 AM

318 posts, read 179,821 times

Advertisements

1. I think my diet is pretty good overall. I try to eat normal food, veggies, fruits, meats, and I do not like a lot of artificial type foods, but I do have some treats here and there, like ice cream a couple of times a week for example.

2. Exercising on work days is tough, because of time, but I am able to do it on days off and do it then. However, it feels like this may be making my insomnia worse, because it gets my adrenaline pumping more maybe. On my days off, I usually do it in the afternoons when I have more time.

3. My overall health seems pretty good. I'm pretty physically active in my job and social life for example.

4. Yes 37.

5. I weigh 183 lbs.

6. I take ADHD medication, nothing else right now.

7. No I haven't done a sleep study.

8. Not really content with my job, wish I had something better. My job has been causing me anxiety which I think may have been contributing to this because I didn't have sleep disorder issues before the job, but that is just a theory as to what it could be.

9. I don't think I have depression but I have anxiety to a degree, but it's mostly work and career related.

10. I get off work at 6, have dinner around 7 to 730, and have a small snack around 10 sometimes, and then go to bed around 12 for the next day.

11. I usually eat breakfast on work days, but not on my days off. But since I have been having trouble sleeping I will have breakfast if I am hungrier from not sleeping, if that makes sense.

But as for having a cup of coffee every morning I thought it would be bad to take any kind if stimulants if I have insomnia, but I can try.

I can try to not have a small snack four hours before bed like you say, but I get hungry sometimes, or should I just ignore that. But also, on the nights when I hang out with my gf, I get hungry after sex sometimes, unless I should just ignore that too?

I won't be able to get a stand up desk at work but I can try to stand and work on the computer anyway, if that's best.

One thing I have noticed about exercise, though, is it possible for my body to build up a tolerance to exercise? For example, months ago I started exercising more and I was exhausted at the end of the day. But now I am not much anymore, with the same amount of exercise on my days off.

The exercise does not do anything to exhaust me anymore it feels like. So did my body build up a tolerance to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 12:04 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,073,538 times
Co-existing anxiety and ADHD. Both are related to sleep problems.

Anxiety is a response to stress and can continue after the stressful situation has passed.

Even the ADHD medication can contribute to insomnia.

Old 09-23-2021, 12:59 PM

I had insomnia problems long before being put on medication though. But if it's the anxiety from work that is causing it, how do others deal with it? For example, lots of people seem to dislike their jobs and they sleep no problem. How do they do it?

Old 09-23-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhamilton View Post
I had insomnia problems long before being put on medication though.
Insomnia is related to ADHD ... and also to the medications.

ADHD and sleep https://www.sleepfoundation.org/ment...adhd-and-sleep

Quote:
But if it's the anxiety from work that is causing it, how do others deal with it? For example, lots of people seem to dislike their jobs and they sleep no problem. How do they do it?
You can dislike a job but not have anxiety over it.

Anxiety and sleep https://www.sleepfoundation.org/ment...iety-and-sleep

It sounds like you might have a co-existing issue of ADHD and anxiety.

Old 09-23-2021, 01:31 PM

Oh okay then, thanks for the input on that! Will exercise and diet still help though in that case?

Old 09-23-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Oh okay then, thanks for the input on that! Will exercise and diet still help though in that case?
Maybe but it's a mental health issue. You should want a good diet and exercise for general health.

If you don't want to see a mental health professional, there are plenty of online resources to help you navigate it. Books too.

ETA: Make sure your diet covers all vitamins and minerals, especially B complex (for both sleep regulation and anxiety).

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 09-23-2021 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-23-2021, 02:15 PM

It's been tough to see a mental health professional because of my job. Where I live the professionals are open from about 9-4, maybe no later because of covid, since everything closes early, now, but that's also when I work, so it makes it tricky to see one. I can see what I can do though.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
I had insomnia problems long before being put on medication though. But if it's the anxiety from work that is causing it, how do others deal with it? For example, lots of people seem to dislike their jobs and they sleep no problem. How do they do it?
Maybe they tell themselves that if they quit their job, they will have to deal with a lot more stress of different kinds. Because that's the truth.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
It's been tough to see a mental health professional because of my job. Where I live the professionals are open from about 9-4, maybe no later because of covid, since everything closes early, now, but that's also when I work, so it makes it tricky to see one. I can see what I can do though.
You may have to go on your lunch break. Or maybe not at all - maybe just research it or do something via Zoom or something like that.

Here's the thing - I think you suffer from anxiety (but I'm not a health care professional - let THEM make a diagnosis, not me!). I say that because I am very familiar with it, suffering from it myself. I have shared what I have done to help myself fall back to sleep or even go to sleep. But let me offer something else:

Another thing I do is self comfort. What that is, is this: I make it a point to sit in a rocking chair and close my eyes, and hug myself with my opposite hands on the upper forearm of each arm (envision that). I breathe deeply in through my nose and out through my mouth, slowly. I rock slowly and I firmly pat my upper arms, one at a time, while rocking and breathing consciously. The first few times I did this after my husband died, all I did was cry and cry. Now I can do it without crying and I find it really relaxes me.

Maybe you can do that an hour or so before bedtime. It has really helped me. Then the night time routine has helped me a lot too - I still use both techniques specifically for anxiety nearly every single day. Very, very helpful.

The self comfort thing in the rocking chair is a universal self comfort measure.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:48 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Oh well the doctor didn't mention sleep apnea as a possibility but I can ask him about it. Thanks.

As for the idea before to make sure I sleep at the same time everyday, because of my job situation right now, I have to change sleep times here there, on certain days though. I don't think I can avoid this for now though unfortunately.
That's not what you said on page 1 :
Quote:
I go to bed around the same time every night because of work
If you have a variable schedule, that could be part of the problem. Also, having screen time before going to bed can make it hard to get to sleep, but that's not your problem, you say. The problem is, staying asleep.

It's actually pretty common for adults over 40 to wake up after several hours of sleep, around 3:00 a.m. or so. It's due to hormonal change. I don't know how old you are. Hormonal change also causes sleep apnea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness