Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2021, 08:39 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,923 times

Advertisements

I am a 50 yo male. I have suffered from sinus problems since I was a teenager and severe sinus problems since serving in the fire department 20 years ago.

While I was a firefighter, I would get four to six sinus infections a year. Through in some severe claustrophobia, and that is a recipe for nose spray addition. Since then, I've carried nose spray with me everywhere I go. I cannot tolerate being stuffy. I have struggled with masks during the pandemic. Masks elevate my heart rate and blood pressure. Most of my regular physicians do not require me to wear masks once in the office due to the known issues.

My sinus issues have been lifelong, I just accepted it and rolled with it. Until I was in a recent auto accident. I had to get brain and spinal MRIs. The brain MRI detected a sizable retention cyst in my left maxillary sinus. My primary care physician referred me to an ENT that discovered that most of my left nasal passageways were 80% blocked off due to inflammation and scar tissue. The right side was around 40-50% blocked. So the doc suggested balloon sinuplasty, which was performed today.

The entire procedure took 45 minutes. 30 minutes before the appointment, I took 20 mg of diazepam and acetami/codeine (don't recall the dosage). Prep for the procedure took up most of the appointment. They shoved what looked like small tampons with strings with a numbing agent up my nose and let it marinate for 5 or so minutes. Then repeated. The doc then placed some small decongestant tabs up my nose for about 5 minutes or so. Then, my nasal passageways were coated with a numbing gel. Finally, shots. A bunch of them and they contained adrenaline which gave me a hell of a rush. I was ready to jump out of an airplane or something.

Then the doc got down to business. I don't recall the name of the tool, but it looked like a picker used to remove pecan hulls. He used that to break some of the sinus bones, then followed up with a lighted guide and balloon to open up the pasageways. It was like my nose was getting adjusted by a chiropractor. the cracking was loud and intense. The assistance would say, "oh man, that was a good one" and I would be like, "I know, right" that was so satisfying. The doc was like, "what the hell is wrong with you guys?.

Then, I guess due to the drainage (mucus and blood) and the numb throat, I went into a horrible coughing spell. I spit up a lot of fluid. But it cleared shortly thereafter. I was walking out of the office 50 minutes after walking in.

I bled a lot after getting home. I mean a lot. I was changing gauze every 20-30 minutes for about 5 hours and each was soaked through with blood. Then the drainage became clearer to where it is now, mostly clear. I haven't even had to wear gauze over the last two hours. I was horribly miserable the first few hours. I could not breathe. I could not get comfortable. My nose and sinuses are hurting. It felt like a severe head cold and I couldn't take decongestants or blow my nose. But that has started to clear up and I am feeling substantially better.

So, I hope to get a decent's sleep tonight. I also have tomorrow and Wednesday off so I am looking forward to getting some rest.

So feel free to hit me up with any questions that you may have about my balloon sinuplasty experience or my previous sinus issues.

And please ignore misspelling/grammatical errors. I am still taking acetaminophen and codeine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 05:54 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Wow - that sounds like quite an experience! Interesting that they didn't give you any kind of "twilight" sedation but I guess that part didn't really phase you. I hope you were prepared for the aftermath though because that all sounds really unpleasant...no scheduled appointment with the doctor to be sure all is well?

When I was a kid I kept getting nasal polyps and finally they said I needed to have my sinuses "cleaned" though they did it under general anesthesia - but I was like 12 or so and it was long before they did so much stuff as outpatient or even in a doctor's office. I don't think it was as invasive as your procedure though because I don't remember any of the aftermath you're experiencing. As a kid I had lots of ear infections and also had a tonsillectomy (though that was really common then) - wonder if all that is related to sinus issues?

Good luck with your recovery!

Old 09-29-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Wow - that sounds like quite an experience! Interesting that they didn't give you any kind of "twilight" sedation but I guess that part didn't really phase you. I hope you were prepared for the aftermath though because that all sounds really unpleasant...no scheduled appointment with the doctor to be sure all is well?

When I was a kid I kept getting nasal polyps and finally they said I needed to have my sinuses "cleaned" though they did it under general anesthesia - but I was like 12 or so and it was long before they did so much stuff as outpatient or even in a doctor's office. I don't think it was as invasive as your procedure though because I don't remember any of the aftermath you're experiencing. As a kid I had lots of ear infections and also had a tonsillectomy (though that was really common then) - wonder if all that is related to sinus issues?

Good luck with your recovery!
Yeah, I had a good idea of what was to come. I knew there would be up to two days of bloody nasal discharge. But it only lasted those few hours. Two days later, I am feeling great. I feel like I have a mild cold, but again, that is expected for a week or so.

The staff did a great job of outlining what to expect and they have been responsive to my questions. I have a follow-up in 12 days along with an allergy test.

But I can tell you this, two days after the procedure I feel better off nasal spray than I did most days with nasal spray before the procedure. I wish that I did this years ago.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:07 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,624 times
I had this done a few years ago. It was really "interesting" hearing the cracking during the procedure.

It was fantastic for maybe 6 months and then the problems returned. My Dr. was surprised and said that this was highly unusual; she didn't think trying again would be a good idea, so I am back where I started.

I have talked with a lot of people who have had the procedure and they have all had wonderful results (as I am certain you will). I am happy for you.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:34 AM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
I had the procedure done a few years ago but not all the experience OP had. They put me out, asleep, did their job, packed the nose with tons of cotton material, gave me some heavy duty pain pills and sent me home, then had me come back the next day to have the cotton stuff taken out. No bleeding after the first day and the relief of normal breathing was great. Did have a super headache for a few days that's all.

Old 10-01-2021, 05:41 PM

It has been 5 days since the procedure. I cannot remember EVER breathing as freely as I am at this moment. The novelty of breathing with your mouth closed, or not rushing to chew your food because you cannot breathe - what strange things I have taken for granted over the years.

I was able to sleep lying down last night. Sleeping is not without some nasal congestion, but my wife says that I have not snored at all the last few nights.

That said, unlike the doctor's optimistic expectation of recovery, I still feel some pain and have experienced minor bleeding. Last night during the sinus rinse, there were some incredible things that came out of my nose and sinuses. I felt super sharp my first day back at work (yesterday). Today, I was mostly a zombie. I am not really buying the 24-72 hour recovery time. I feel about 70% there. But before the procedure, I felt about 70% there. It's was just a different 70%.

But thus far, I cannot express how thankful I am to have undergone this procedure.

Oh, and no nose spray. I have squirted breathing juice in my nose in almost a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness