Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 11:25 PM

62 posts, read 259,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannyof2 View Post
Hey everyone,

It is so great to hear how well everyone is progressing. Cristina, sounds like your spirits are really up, that is great! To stand in a take a long shower, ahhhhhh. I am not quite there yet, but very very close. I am still afraid of slipping, I did just buy a cushy shower mat and I think it will help. That is great that you can go back to work so soon too.

Kek, congrats on the shower milestone too....yea!

simms, so glad you are doing good too, maybe the swine flu will be gone by June and you won't have to change your honeymoon plans!

I conquered a milestone today! I can wear a normal pair of tennis shoes now!! woo hoo! I wore them at PT today and it felt great! I have tried to wear my tennis shoes before, but they have just been too tight up till now. I also went to the grocery store just to pick up a couple of things and I did not use one of the electric carts, I walked and pushed a cart through the store, I was slow and wearing my air boot, but it was great!! People probably thought I was crazy, I was just smiling and limping, but I was walking so I was happy. I have an appt. with my OS on Thursday and I am hoping she will tell me I can ditch the air boot, I am so ready! Oh, and my husband bought me an exercise bike, I told him how much I liked using the one at PT and he got me one yesterday, so now I can burn off this excess energy and maybe a few pounds I have gained from sitting on my butt so long!

For those of you still NWB are starting to WB, there is light at the end of the tunnel! I know it is so tough, but try to have faith, be patient and stay positive and take each day as it comes, it does get better with time!

You are all in my prayers!

Much love,
Nanny
Nanny,

Thats great news gee you did not cry like me now I really feel like a baby!!! Your husbands a good man!! Have fun on your bike!!!!

Mike

Old 04-29-2009, 05:08 AM

189 posts, read 795,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms View Post
Nanny,

Thats great news gee you did not cry like me now I really feel like a baby!!! Your husbands a good man!! Have fun on your bike!!!!

Mike

Awwwww, please don't feel like a baby! I have had many days where I would just sit and cry in frustration wondering if/when I would be able to get up and do the things I want to do.

The shoe transition has been a little gradual for me, I have been able to wear my crocs for a few weeks now, it is just the past couple days I can wear my tennis shoes.

I am hoping and praying that my OS appt. goes well tomorrow and I can begin walking without my air boot. I have been able to do it around the house a little and it feels pretty good. I could not have done that 2 weeks ago, especially barefoot and that feels pretty good now too. I am off pain meds, and I really feel I am ready to move forward.

You are right about my husband, he is a good man. He is truly the love of my life and my best friend. I don't know how I would have gotten through this without him, he is so supportive and has taken care of me with much love and patience, I am truly blessed! (And a little spoiled too!)

And I love the exercise bike, I rode 5.5 miles yesterday, will do it again today (maybe more). I also love the pool, I go to a water aerobics class 2 times a week. I get there early and swim some laps before the class starts and I have to modify some of the movements, but my ankle is loosening up and I think being in the water helps alot! I am looking into a water yoga class too, I think it would help to balance out my body, my right leg needs to get stronger, my left leg still likes to take over.

I have never been through anything like this in my life, and as many others have said on here, we will be much stronger after getting through such an experience. I have had the opportunity to re-evaluate many things in my life and truly appreciate all the things I took for granted. I came across a quote yesterday that really hit home with me and had to share it here..

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

This just says it all.

Much love to you all,

Nanny

Old 04-29-2009, 06:58 AM

175 posts, read 741,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhosler877 View Post
Hi everyone, it so wonderful to hear how everyone is progressing. I am 16 weeks post op since internal fixator was put in my shattered ankle and now because of all the swelling, discomfort, fluid they said today it has to come out. So I am scheduled for 4/30/09 to have all the hardware removed from my ankle. Wish me luck everyone. Congrats on how everyone is doing. Bev
Bev, good luck with your surgery. I had half of my hardware removed last week, and already I am seeing big improvements with pain and swelling. I hope this does it for you, too.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:04 AM

175 posts, read 741,440 times
Nanny, congratulations on the tennis shoes and the bike! I hope your appointment today goes well and you'll be able to get rid of the aircast. It certainly sounds like the probability of that is high. Walking through the grocery store is also a huge milestone. Little things that we take for granted mean so much more today.

I'm so glad that your husband is so supportive. I know I wouldn't have been able to get this far without my husband. He's been wonderful through all of this. Sometimes I think it might be harder on the ones caring for us. My husband had to take over driving the kids to school, cooking dinner, housekeeping, caring for me, plus working full time. Maybe we need a new thread - "My SO is healing from a tib/fib fracture" and let them support each other! LOL

Mike - thanks for the well wishes. I hope that you hit the shower milestone soon.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:44 AM

69 posts, read 334,305 times
Hi all, Went to the os today and was released set free no more visits, no more xrays. I also walked up stairs normal last night for the first time.

Nanny congrats on the shoe, that is great !!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 02:35 PM

51 posts, read 186,828 times
Yay|! Milestone after milestone! Nanny, great to have shoes on and be able to do some shopping without a cart. Cristina sounds like things are really improving for you too. Simms, hope this swine flu thing clears up - do you have a back-up plan? A lot of places are refunding all money for Mexico.

Went to physio again today and worked really hard - funny thing is that it is my good leg that is really hurting -I think I pulled a muscle. I tried to make a go at 1 crutching it this morning so maybe it was too soon and I put too much stress on the other side? Yikes!! Physio thinks he can have me walking enough with one crutch by next Wednesday so that my OS will let me go back to work. I will have to get used to getting out of bed again in the morning... will be much easier when I have something to get up for besides the recliner!

Old 04-29-2009, 02:44 PM

51 posts, read 186,828 times
Greeneyez - that is great news!!!

I had a treat today - I had Merry Maids come in to do a spring cleaning, washed all my floors, cleaned my kitchen and all my bathrooms. As much as people around here try (with coaxing from me) things just have not been getting done to the same standard... don't think my floors had been washed in 8 weeks and the vaccuuming was usually a path down the middle of the floor, never into the corners or behind the furniture. Nice to be sitting in a (relatively) clean house - clean but still cluttered with pillows, books, laundry folded and ready to be moved...

Old 04-29-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannyof2 View Post
Awwwww, please don't feel like a baby! I have had many days where I would just sit and cry in frustration wondering if/when I would be able to get up and do the things I want to do.

The shoe transition has been a little gradual for me, I have been able to wear my crocs for a few weeks now, it is just the past couple days I can wear my tennis shoes.

I am hoping and praying that my OS appt. goes well tomorrow and I can begin walking without my air boot. I have been able to do it around the house a little and it feels pretty good. I could not have done that 2 weeks ago, especially barefoot and that feels pretty good now too. I am off pain meds, and I really feel I am ready to move forward.

You are right about my husband, he is a good man. He is truly the love of my life and my best friend. I don't know how I would have gotten through this without him, he is so supportive and has taken care of me with much love and patience, I am truly blessed! (And a little spoiled too!)

And I love the exercise bike, I rode 5.5 miles yesterday, will do it again today (maybe more). I also love the pool, I go to a water aerobics class 2 times a week. I get there early and swim some laps before the class starts and I have to modify some of the movements, but my ankle is loosening up and I think being in the water helps alot! I am looking into a water yoga class too, I think it would help to balance out my body, my right leg needs to get stronger, my left leg still likes to take over.

I have never been through anything like this in my life, and as many others have said on here, we will be much stronger after getting through such an experience. I have had the opportunity to re-evaluate many things in my life and truly appreciate all the things I took for granted. I came across a quote yesterday that really hit home with me and had to share it here..

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

This just says it all.

Much love to you all,

Nanny
Nanny,

I am marrying the love of my life on June 7. If it were not for Pam I do not know how I would have done with this injury. Pam quit her jobs and took care of me full time in the beginning and she has been there for me through everything. She is a very special girl.

That quote from Emerson is perfect!!!

Mike

Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyes42 View Post
Hi all, Went to the os today and was released set free no more visits, no more xrays. I also walked up stairs normal last night for the first time.

Nanny congrats on the shoe, that is great !!!!
Greenyes42,

YOUR FREE!!!!!!! Go do something really cool that you have not been able to do!!!!!!! I am happy for you!!

Mike

Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kek411 View Post
Yay|! Milestone after milestone! Nanny, great to have shoes on and be able to do some shopping without a cart. Cristina sounds like things are really improving for you too. Simms, hope this swine flu thing clears up - do you have a back-up plan? A lot of places are refunding all money for Mexico.

Went to physio again today and worked really hard - funny thing is that it is my good leg that is really hurting -I think I pulled a muscle. I tried to make a go at 1 crutching it this morning so maybe it was too soon and I put too much stress on the other side? Yikes!! Physio thinks he can have me walking enough with one crutch by next Wednesday so that my OS will let me go back to work. I will have to get used to getting out of bed again in the morning... will be much easier when I have something to get up for besides the recliner!
Kek,

If you can get some Potassium do it. the reason is in case you start cramping. This happens once you start exersizing and drink lots of water. If you dont want to take potassium for cramps that may happen then eat dill pickles they work great!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness