Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 12:38 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,424,199 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I have a food allergy or sensitivity, or maybe it has nothing to do with food. I've had what I guess is irritable bowel syndrome for several months. I thought it was coffee or tea, but I stopped drinking them for 3 days and there was no difference. I tried no gluten, no dairy, etc.

How many days should you avoid something when trying to figure out if it's a trigger? Is 3 days probably enough? Or does it have to be much longer?

I didn't eat anything for 3 days, but I drank coffee and tea, and I was fine. But not fine as soon as I started eating again.

Old 11-10-2022, 01:36 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Sounds as if it's past time to talk to a professional. They have access to diagnostic tools to help rule out some possibilities. It might not be the food itself or it could be more complex than one single ingredient.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-10-2022 at 02:07 PM..

Old 11-10-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Sounds as if it's past time to talk to a professional. They have access to diagnostic tools to help rule out some possibilities. It might not be the food itself or it could be more complex than one single ingredient.
I knew I would get that answer. So why have a health forum? It makes sense, to me, to figure out as much as possible BEFORE seeing an MD. Why not find out if there is a specific trigger that I can just avoid?

If I can't figure it out, eventually I would probably get tests. I am pretty sure it's autoimmune, since it started after covid vaccines, and I never had it before. (But I won't say any more about that, since this is not a forum for debating vaccines).

MDs are not good for treating autoimmune disorders, unless you want to be on prednisone for life. So my hope is that I can at least improve it by avoiding something.

But I am at a loss right now. Unless it takes more than 3 days, typically, to rule out a substance. But let's say the trigger were coffee -- after 3 days there should be no more coffee in me. Or would there? This is something I do not know, so I figured it would make sense to see if anyone here knows.

Sure you can always answer every question with "Go see a professional." That goes without saying, so we don't need to say it here.

Old 11-10-2022, 05:21 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,294,072 times
Coffee may be out of your system in x hours, but that doesn't mean the irritation (if any) will be. I would think you'd need to stop one food at a time for at least a couple weeks, but that amount of time is not based on anything except what seems reasonable.IOW, it could be quite wrong.

Old 11-10-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Coffee may be out of your system in x hours, but that doesn't mean the irritation (if any) will be. I would think you'd need to stop one food at a time for at least a couple weeks, but that amount of time is not based on anything except what seems reasonable.IOW, it could be quite wrong.
Oh, ok. I would like to hear more opinions on this. I do not know how I could search for this answer in google.

So you think 3 days was much too short a time, and that's why I still had the IBS?

I didn't realize the irritation could stay long after the substance was gone. That sure makes it hard to do the experiments. If I did one at a time it could easily take a year.

How about cutting out all suspects at the same time? That's what I did with coffee, tea and carbonated water. Those are the things I really like, and usually have them every day.

Old 11-10-2022, 05:43 PM

61,737 posts, read 87,172,581 times
You could start with those three. They are most common, then proceed
https://drruscio.com/common-food-intolerances/

Here how it could be done
https://realhealingnutrition.com/how...home-for-free/

https://riordanclinic.org/2021/04/th...diet-protocol/

Probably not super reliable but might give you some clues.

Good luck!

Old 11-10-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You could start with those three. They are most common, then proceed
https://drruscio.com/common-food-intolerances/

Here how it could be done
https://realhealingnutrition.com/how...home-for-free/

https://riordanclinic.org/2021/04/th...diet-protocol/

Probably not super reliable but might give you some clues.

Good luck!
Thank you.

I wonder if it's possible to have IBS without any actual triggers? And I wonder if probiotics would help. I have taken a lot of prebiotics (fiber pills), and some probiotic drinks. But none of those helped.

I wonder exactly how the vaccines screwed up my intestines, but I guess there won't be any way to find that out.

I did have a lot of antibiotics in the past because of lyme disease. But my digestive system was ok anyway. It is only since the vaccines that my stomach and intestines went haywire.

Old 11-10-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post

How about cutting out all suspects at the same time? That's what I did with coffee, tea and carbonated water. Those are the things I really like, and usually have them every day.
No, you can't do it! How else would you know which is the culprit?
But you can group them by:
dairy, corn, soy, peanuts, eggs, etc... as stated on my links.

Old 11-10-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
No, you can't do it! How else would you know which is the culprit?
But you can group them by:
dairy, corn, soy, peanuts, eggs, etc... as stated on my links.
If you cut out all suspects, and then feel better, that's good. Problem solved. If you want to know which ones specifically are the problem, then bring back one at a time. I think that is the fastest easiest way. Otherwise, it would take forever, and you keep suffering the whole time.

But as I said in the OP, I need to know for how long you have to cut them out. I thought 3 days would be plenty, but maybe not. I don't know how or where to find the answer to that specific question.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Thank you.

I wonder if it's possible to have IBS without any actual triggers? And I wonder if probiotics would help. I have taken a lot of prebiotics (fiber pills), and some probiotic drinks. But none of those helped.
While we don't know what causes IBS, we do know that flare-ups are often triggered by food, caffeine, stress, carbonated drinks, artificial sugars, or infectious diarrhea. The more IBS episodes you have, the more sensitive your gut becomes to triggers.

But who said that you have food allergy or IBS?
It could be stomach ulcer, strictures, GERD, side effects of medications, anxiety, wrong diet (too much caffeine, fatty stuff, spices)...
Did you try OTC antacids? Ginger, chamomile or peppermint tea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness