U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2022, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast
6,585 posts, read 11,726,457 times
Reputation: 14246

Advertisements

So I just took my blood pressure, right after standing at the sink doing the dishes. It was 141/78.

Then I sat for a minute or two longer and did some deep breathing. Took BP again. Its was 108/54.

I find this confusing.

Is BP totally related to relaxation? Breathing?

What about hardening of the arteries?

If I do have hardening of the arteries (??) then how could my BP go so low?

I do take meds to control my usually high BP.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2022, 02:18 PM
 
Location: on the wind
19,387 posts, read 12,993,660 times
Reputation: 63241
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
So I just took my blood pressure, right after standing at the sink doing the dishes. It was 141/78.

Then I sat for a minute or two longer and did some deep breathing. Took BP again. Its was 108/54.

I find this confusing.

Is BP totally related to relaxation? Breathing?

What about hardening of the arteries?

If I do have hardening of the arteries (??) then how could my BP go so low?

I do take meds to control my usually high BP.
It wouldn't be unusual for your BP to be higher while standing. Your circulatory system needs to work a bit harder to supply blood and its oxygen to the brain while you're vertical. Obviously, it needs to work less hard when you're sitting or lying down. Sure, relaxing tends to lower resting BP but there's a lot more to it than that. Suggest reading a primer about how your circulatory system works:

https://www.texasheart.org/heart-hea...-hypertension/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2022, 06:06 AM
 
6,871 posts, read 3,676,273 times
Reputation: 10723
You should never take you BP standing and you should take 4 or 5 per day to get an average.

Sit with feet on the floor -- MAKE SURE -- you arm is at heart level (if it is too high you get a lower reading -- too low higher) and take one deep breath in through the nose and out through the mouth.

Take a reading. And take several more during the day to get an average.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2022, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Juneau, AK + Puna, HI
9,134 posts, read 5,719,064 times
Reputation: 13148
I think folks above are making incorrect assumption OP took BP while standing, but it could take a couple minutes to drop after being on your feet.

Anyway, wide fluctuations of BP not associated with exercise or stress are potentially problematic.

Perhaps the medication can contribute to this phenomena, I don't know.

Are you off the hook for hardening of the arteries with a lower reading? Not necessarily
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2022, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast
6,585 posts, read 11,726,457 times
Reputation: 14246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I think folks above are making incorrect assumption OP took BP while standing, but it could take a couple minutes to drop after being on your feet.

Anyway, wide fluctuations of BP not associated with exercise or stress are potentially problematic.

Perhaps the medication can contribute to this phenomena, I don't know.

Are you off the hook for hardening of the arteries with a lower reading? Not necessarily
Good questions...who knows, maybe I do have hardening of the arteries? But if I do, is it even possible to have a BP reading like my lowest reading if my "pipes" are clogged??

Anyhow my latest check-up and blood work came out tip top and I am mostly a vegetarian, at a healthy weight, and do lotsa exercise so I'm not overly worried.

I am a "hot reactor" at times to stress. Working on that with deep breathing...

Just curious, actually, at the two divergent readings.

Thanks for your perspectives...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2022, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
5,406 posts, read 15,324,034 times
Reputation: 8073
You are supposed to sit quietly for 5 mins. PRIOR to taking your blood pressure. It's totally moving around as you move! Sounds like you have good pressures
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2022, 04:44 AM
 
Location: Florida
23,002 posts, read 24,610,579 times
Reputation: 27592
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
You are supposed to sit quietly for 5 mins. PRIOR to taking your blood pressure. It's totally moving around as you move! Sounds like you have good pressures
One reason why it's always seems to be higher at the doctors office.
You trot behind the nurse, sit in the chair and the cuff is immediately wrapped around your arm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2022, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Juneau, AK + Puna, HI
9,134 posts, read 5,719,064 times
Reputation: 13148
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Good questions...who knows, maybe I do have hardening of the arteries? But if I do, is it even possible to have a BP reading like my lowest reading if my "pipes" are clogged??
..
It seems unlikely. If you're curious or concerned, perhaps look into a calcium scan?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2022, 10:14 AM
 
2,546 posts, read 1,090,503 times
Reputation: 2399
Talking while you are measuring will also raise your pressure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2022, 05:22 AM
 
7,604 posts, read 3,138,275 times
Reputation: 8635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
You should never take you BP standing and you should take 4 or 5 per day to get an average.

Sit with feet on the floor -- MAKE SURE -- you arm is at heart level (if it is too high you get a lower reading -- too low higher) and take one deep breath in through the nose and out through the mouth.

Take a reading. And take several more during the day to get an average.
It's amazing how many nurses do not take blood pressure properly in the office. They always take my blood pressure with my feet dangling off a chair and arm slumped at my side... So instead of arguing about technique I just tell them I have White coat, show them my home readings and mention my excellent cardiac stress test results and ignore any further comments about it.

Yet my wife seems to not have the same issue but she's much slimmer. I did not have this false reading problem as much when I had lower muscle mass. A smart nurse told me the cuff can also be a problem when it's the loose type and inappropriately applied as well.

I have learned through the years that individual blood pressure readings are almost worthless and should be used in concert with other symptoms or lab work.

It's the same thing with high cholesterol. Forget about that, what's your CAC score? My grandparents and father took blood pressure medication "just as a preventative", and likely were too lazy to take home readings and change lifestyle. I have the latest Omron at home the best BP monitor brand which they use in offices.

The rare times that they actually have me in a chair feet touching the ground and arm at heart level with a manual reader, the highest was 130/80. With the automated wall monitors it's ridiculous numbers like 170/110.

I was in the ER a few years ago after some kind of food poisoning. Initial BP upon entry was 170/110, but this time it actually WAS that number (i took it at home) and I actually FELT it. But they just kept me under observation and did not give me any hypertension meds after conducting blood work because there was no evidence of heart damage. Eventually after 4 hours BP stabilized to 135/85 on its own. The Doctor told me explicitly they don't use blood pressure readings alone to diagnose acute problems and that hypertensive crisis with no other symptoms is extremely rare.

So if blood pressure is not used exclusively in acute problems then why is it treated independently for chronic issues? But I digress. Either way long story short, one high blood pressure reading in a bright loud chaotic environment taken within 5 minutes of sitting down with your arm flapping in the wind is hardly a sign that you have a problem. But multiple readings taken on a calm Sunday morning before coffee above 135/85 may warrant discussing with your PCP and cardiologist. This is the exact guidance I was given by reputable Doctors and not urgent care textbook fresh grads.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top