Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 07:20 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Since you guys are so big on screening tests I wanted to mention one you should look at - yesterday I had a Transnasal Esophagoscopy. This is a small scope done in the doctor's office that examines your throat and esophagus. You are fully awake and it took about 5 minutes. It is very safe. Since it goes through your nose you won't have gag reflex.

I had no idea this exam was out there but indeed it is recommended as a test to watch for Esophageal Cancer and in my case it ruled out EC and Gerd and LPR. Which the gastro probably would have found evidence of but an ENT doctor doesn't stand to gain from those conditions so didn't find any evidence of that.

If you go to a gastro to check these things out they will want you to do the dreaded endoscopy which will require sedation. And that is a major cash cow and has more risks.

See now this is the kind of screening test that people *should* be getting but I ended up having to fight for it. No radiation, great safety profile, cheap and quick, no sedation.

There is also a smaller scope that the ENT doctor uses that is even less invasive and safe that just goes to your voice box... but how many times have you ever gone to an ENT? Even my own doctor referred me to the gastro for my symptoms. I wonder how many other better screening options are available but aren't used because they don't maximize profit.
One more time...... take a look at Medicare and other health insurance reimbursement rates, compared to what's billed, and you will see what providers are actually paid for these screening tests you decry, hardly cash cows.

I doubt transnasal esophagoscopy would have caught my colon cancer, or the breast cancers of the numbers of individuals who posted about it in this thread.

And if I have GERD, I'll probably know about it from the symptoms and wouldn't be needing an invasive test to find it.

Ridicule and turn a blind eye to the value of screening tests for colon cancer and other GI cancers, breast cancer, and other cancers all you want, but there is more than adequate evidence ( both anecdotal and statistical- shown even in the linked article in your OP) that these screening tests can save lives, by detecting cancers at an early stage before they have spread,
can save a lot of the pain and suffering ( and yes, $$$$$ too) involved in treating cancers detected when the symptoms caused by their metastasis and large sizes become too unbearable to ignore.

But you do you, as is your right. Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 05:26 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
As the expression goes, "watch what I do, not what I say." I get the exams, despite my misgivings. I am told the scope only sees one half of the colon, That concerns me. Also of concern is that when an actual malignant polyp is visible the "horse may be out of the barn." On the other hand, get them "too early" and the polyps are not caught.

Having lost my father to colorectal (probably rectal) cancer when he was 47, I was 15, I have read the field of literature. But, I still get them.
Well you have misread that literature then.

A colonoscopy checks the entire length of the colon (large intestine). It doesn't check the small intestine. But the small intestine is not the colon. So no - the scope doesn't see "one half of the colon."

Polyps /become/ malignant. That means if you see a polyp in a colonoscopy, you remove it - and check it for abnormal cells. If it's not abnormal, then that's good news. It means you no longer have polyps in your colon that could become malignant.

It also means - that they found polyps, so you probably should get another colonoscopy sooner than the usual 10 years. So you have to deal with that nasty prep sooner rather than later. It could be 2-3 years, or 5 years, instead of 10. That's the bad news.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:27 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

A colonoscopy checks the entire length of the colon (large intestine). It doesn't check the small intestine. But the small intestine is not the colon. So no - the scope doesn't see "one half of the colon."

Polyps /become/ malignant. That means if you see a polyp in a colonoscopy, you remove it - and check it for abnormal cells. If it's not abnormal, then that's good news. It means you no longer have polyps in your colon that could become malignant.

It also means - that they found polyps, so you probably should get another colonoscopy sooner than the usual 10 years. So you have to deal with that nasty prep sooner rather than later. It could be 2-3 years, or 5 years, instead of 10. That's the bad news.
Actually the literature says "one side" of the colon.

Old 12-29-2022, 09:27 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Actually the literature says "one side" of the colon.
If it is a true colonoscopy, the entire colon is being examined. A procedure called flexible sigmoidoscopy used to be commonly used, and that only viewed the left side of the colon. But a few people are doing flexible sigmoidoscopy these days, as obviously you can miss polyps on the right side of the colon which will grow into cancers if not removed. Since right sided colon cancers can be asymptomatic until they are very late stage, it is important not to miss them.

Old 12-30-2022, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Since right sided colon cancers can be asymptomatic until they are very late stage, it is important not to miss them.
Ya think?

Old 12-30-2022, 01:19 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Colonoscopies have their risks.
That's only one screening, and there are now much less risky and invasive screenings for colon cancer. It still doesn't negate the fact that MOST cancer screenings pose no or very little risk.

Someone sees that only 14% of cancers are found by screening, but that is misleading because there are no routine screenings for most cancers. But for the ones there are, that number is much different. How many breast cancers are found from routine mammograms? How many cases or prostate cancer are found with blood tests/screenings? I guarantee, it's more than 14%.

Old 01-02-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
That's only one screening, and there are now much less risky and invasive screenings for colon cancer. It still doesn't negate the fact that MOST cancer screenings pose no or very little risk.

Someone sees that only 14% of cancers are found by screening, but that is misleading because there are no routine screenings for most cancers. But for the ones there are, that number is much different. How many breast cancers are found from routine mammograms? How many cases or prostate cancer are found with blood tests/screenings? I guarantee, it's more than 14%.
Obviously you have a point. I guess colon screenings are what apply to me.

Old 01-02-2023, 03:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

I had polyps, and they were all clear, and I was told to come back for another colonoscopy in ten years.

Old 01-05-2023, 09:54 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I had polyps, and they were all clear, and I was told to come back for another colonoscopy in ten years.
I had 3, and they told me 7 years.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-05-2023, 09:59 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
There are a lot of risks with those screenings... has anyone done the benefit vrs. risk analysis?
Like this?

When people explode during colonoscopies

https://gizmodo.com/when-people-expl...copies-5945897
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness