Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2023, 06:37 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
i do too, except it's 500 mg twice a day. My dermatologist told me to take it since studies have shown that it can reduce the probability of skin cancer by around 25%.

I had a blood draw last week for my physical coming up next week. It'll be interesting to see if the niacin had a good effect on cholesterol and/or A1C.
let us know if your numbers changed. it would be good to,know of other solutions besides the pills drs want to hand out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2023, 05:00 AM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
let us know if your numbers changed. it would be good to,know of other solutions besides the pills drs want to hand out.

on blood sugar - there are published studies/trials on pubmed that show berberine supplement results similar to metformin results

Old 03-18-2023, 06:48 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
i do too, except it's 500 mg twice a day. My dermatologist told me to take it since studies have shown that it can reduce the probability of skin cancer by around 25%.

I had a blood draw last week for my physical coming up next week. It'll be interesting to see if the niacin had a good effect on cholesterol and/or A1C.
Following.....as my doctor also suggested niacin.

Old 03-18-2023, 08:13 AM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:

Cholesterol is ideal, but that's with taking Lipitor. It's been good for several years, ever since I've been taking Lipitor so the niacin had no measurable effect in that regard

A1C didn't change so apparently the niacin had no effect - still 6.1. Been taking it for several months.

I believe the brand is Niacinimide.

Old 03-18-2023, 12:39 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
^Do you get hot burning flash soon after Niacin?
Didn't do much for me and the niacin flash was highly irritating.
YMMV

Old 03-21-2023, 06:18 AM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
^Do you get hot burning flash soon after Niacin?
Didn't do much for me and the niacin flash was highly irritating.
YMMV
No, not at all.

Old 03-22-2023, 01:45 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
How much does genetics play a role with cholesterol? My LDL was better when I wasn’t in my 40s.

I will look into the calcium test. Why hasn’t my doctor ordered it yet?

Trans fat is the bad one.

I don’t eat processed sugar nor junk food. I mean I will have my cheat meals once a week. I get my sugar from fruits and vegetables.
Chol levels are determined almost completely by genetics. Diet and exercise have only a small effect, rarely enough to move you from one risk level to the next...Very low HDL levels (HDL< 25 regardless of LDL levels) are the only parameter that has any practical predictive value.

The CT Ca score test adds little. It's not ready for prime time for technical reasons. Very occasionally it will find a case of severe disease not expected by the other risk factors, but just as often will force a cardiac cath that didn't need to be done. (high rate of false negatives and false positives)

Evidence about "trans-fat" is shaky at best. It probably has little impact in practical terms. Total cal intake way more important than fat contentin diet.

Do your Islet cells know if that sugar came from an orange or a Twinky? Would it make any difference if you gnawed on a fresh sugar beet (unprocessed sucrose) vs a teaspoon of sugar from the sugar bowl (processed sucrose)?

Old 03-30-2023, 06:56 PM

1,555 posts, read 776,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Chol levels are determined almost completely by genetics. Diet and exercise have only a small effect, rarely enough to move you from one risk level to the next...Very low HDL levels (HDL< 25 regardless of LDL levels) are the only parameter that has any practical predictive value.

The CT Ca score test adds little. It's not ready for prime time for technical reasons. Very occasionally it will find a case of severe disease not expected by the other risk factors, but just as often will force a cardiac cath that didn't need to be done. (high rate of false negatives and false positives)

Evidence about "trans-fat" is shaky at best. It probably has little impact in practical terms. Total cal intake way more important than fat contentin diet.

Do your Islet cells know if that sugar came from an orange or a Twinky? Would it make any difference if you gnawed on a fresh sugar beet (unprocessed sucrose) vs a teaspoon of sugar from the sugar bowl (processed sucrose)?
100% Genetics? My doctor does not think so but of course that is just his opinion and/or based on what he learned in school.

Fruit sugar is Fructose and does not effect it like processed sugar does. That is what learned from Dr. Berg on YT.

Old 03-31-2023, 07:38 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
100% Genetics? My doctor does not think so but of course that is just his opinion and/or based on what he learned in school.

Fruit sugar is Fructose and does not effect it like processed sugar does. That is what learned from Dr. Berg on YT.
1. He said "almost completely." That phrase is somewhat other than "100%." The word "almost" is a dead giveaway.

2. You didn't learn anything from Dr. Berg on YouTube. You saw a supplement salesman push their agenda in an attempt to sell you supplements and their book and/or keto diet, on YouTube.

Old 04-01-2023, 03:24 PM

1,555 posts, read 776,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
1. He said "almost completely." That phrase is somewhat other than "100%." The word "almost" is a dead giveaway.

2. You didn't learn anything from Dr. Berg on YouTube. You saw a supplement salesman push their agenda in an attempt to sell you supplements and their book and/or keto diet, on YouTube.
Berg is one of the top docs in the world. He isn’t a pill pusher like most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness