Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2023, 08:02 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,072,775 times

Advertisements

Few people have genetic causes for high cholesterol. Defects can be identified with genetic testing.

The majority of people with high cholesterol is because of diet and other lifestyle factors that only they can modify.

Even if you are found to have genetic causes, diet and lifestyle factors are a part of managing it but you will need treatments too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2023, 12:04 PM

15,442 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Few people have genetic causes for high cholesterol. Defects can be identified with genetic testing.

The majority of people with high cholesterol is because of diet and other lifestyle factors that only they can modify.

Even if you are found to have genetic causes, diet and lifestyle factors are a part of managing it but you will need treatments too.
I doubt that's entirely true. I had a boss whose cholesterol was 160, but it was almost entirely "bad" cholesterol. Going on a vegetarian diet didn't help much. Without medication, my Mom's cholesterol is around 300, even if she eats a vegetarian diet and lots of exercise, which she did for a year. She's 87 now, so the cholesterol apparently didn't do much damage.

Not all genetic defects have been found, either, so testing is likely to be inconclusive

Old 04-02-2023, 12:51 PM

1,555 posts, read 781,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
You should be taking whatever you, your personal physician, and any other licensed/certified professional in your health care network have determined together to be the most appropriate thing for you to take.

They might not feel you should take anything, but instead, work on your weight and overall fitness level. They might prescribe prescription meds. They might recommend supplements. They might suggest a combination of all three.

But this medical forum is not the replacement of your doctor. We are not qualified to answer your question. Your doctor, however, is.
PCP says to focus on diet so no meds based on my numbers. Do doctors make money off prescribing you meds? Or just the visit as listed in itemized billing for my insurance? Are Doctors always qualified m? I’ve heard horror stories. We are just a # to them.

Old 04-02-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Fish oil works for some people. It didn't help me much at all, so I stopped taking it.

Honestly, you are overworking this. In your situation, I would just accept the numbers as they are and move on.
It maybe working without you knowing.

Old 04-02-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:

True.

Old 04-02-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I doubt that's entirely true. I had a boss whose cholesterol was 160, but it was almost entirely "bad" cholesterol. Going on a vegetarian diet didn't help much. Without medication, my Mom's cholesterol is around 300, even if she eats a vegetarian diet and lots of exercise, which she did for a year. She's 87 now, so the cholesterol apparently didn't do much damage.

Not all genetic defects have been found, either, so testing is likely to be inconclusive
What about adding HDL?

Old 04-02-2023, 03:28 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,072,775 times
Quote:

Diet and exercise are not the only lifestyle factors.

Vegetarian diet? Nope. Need to at least add fish in there to increase bioavailable omega 3, and reduce omega 6 intake, for starters. These two have to be balanced. Quit highly-processed foods/drinks and modify ALL lifestyle factors.

Old 04-02-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Diet and exercise are not the only lifestyle factors.

Vegetarian diet? Nope. Need to at least add fish in there to increase bioavailable omega 3, and reduce omega 6 intake, for starters. These two have to be balanced. Quit highly-processed foods/drinks and modify ALL lifestyle factors.
I take a Omega 3 supplement.

Old 04-02-2023, 05:06 PM

3,088 posts, read 1,549,185 times
Quote:

very true. mine isnt quite as high as your mothers but almost and I refuse to take statins, dangerous drug IMO. but drs dont appear to care if you might be one of those people with severe or permanent muscle pain fromthe drug. only the numbers count. I think if your mother is 87 and doing fairly well, who cares about her cholesterol number. Good for her.

Old 04-02-2023, 05:17 PM

15,442 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
very true. mine isnt quite as high as your mothers but almost and I refuse to take statins, dangerous drug IMO. but drs dont appear to care if you might be one of those people with severe or permanent muscle pain fromthe drug. only the numbers count. I think if your mother is 87 and doing fairly well, who cares about her cholesterol number. Good for her.
She found another drug after the old one quit working. This was 20 years ago. These days she jsut tries to eat well, and does some water aerobics.

I can't take statins. They give me heartburn 20 hours a day, every day. I refuse to live like that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness