Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 10:32 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Then it’s propaganda.
Propaganda because it's on Netflix? Any documentary is going to have a slant based on the biases of the filmmakers. It's up to viewers to dig a little deeper and check the facts of why any documentary was made, what wasn't included, what their angle might be. While most of us could get behind the idea of a plant-based diet being generally healthy, the OP started this thread with the assumption that anything said in the film is absolutely infallible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 10:50 AM

19,043 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Correct, I wouldn’t trust Netflix in it’s current form to present a balanced viewpoint when it comes to the merits of a plant-based diet.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-27-2023, 03:19 PM

7,256 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
Localvore and Slow Food are basically the same thing. Slow Food is a movement, while Localvore is a term.

Slow Food is an organization that promotes local food and traditional cooking. It was founded by Carlo Petrini in Italy in 1986 and has since spread worldwide. Promoted as an alternative to fast food, it strives to preserve traditional and regional cuisine and encourages farming of plants, seeds, and livestock characteristic of the local ecosystem. It promotes local small businesses and sustainable foods. It also focuses on food quality, rather than quantity.[2] It was the first established part of the broader slow movement. It speaks out against overproduction and food waste.[3] It sees globalization as a process in which small and local farmers and food producers should be simultaneously protected from and included in the global food system.[4][5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_Food
The "eat local food" is one of those bleeding heart, feel-good ideas that usually isn't very practical...I lived most of my life in Chicago, for example-- To "eat local" I'd have had to survive on beef, field corn & soy beans, supplemented by whatever rats & pigeons I could have foraged. Do we need to get into the problem of seasonality?...90% of American produce comes from CA's central valley. (There's an impending crisis with that as the valley is rapidly gettng alkalinized, depending so much on irrigation with mountain water.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Correct, I wouldn’t trust Netflix in it’s current form to present a balanced viewpoint when it comes to the merits of a plant-based diet.
Exactly. A good documentary would present both sides...When only one side is articulated, it's propaganda-- from the Latin--"things that must be spread."

Old 04-27-2023, 03:31 PM

310 posts, read 323,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The "eat local food" is one of those bleeding heart, feel-good ideas that usually isn't very practical...I lived most of my life in Chicago, for example-- To "eat local" I'd have had to survive on beef, field corn & soy beans, supplemented by whatever rats & pigeons I could have foraged. Do we need to get into the problem of seasonality?...90% of American produce comes from CA's central valley. (There's an impending crisis with that as the valley is rapidly gettng alkalinized, depending so much on irrigation with mountain water.)

Exactly. A good documentary would present both sides...When only one side is articulated, it's propaganda-- from the Latin--"things that must be spread."
I live in California so I am keenly aware of our water, fire, earthquake, you name it situations! I am also aware that we live in a produce nirvana. Local farms are everywhere.
I was just responding to the OP who said vegetarianism is best for the planet and my counter was slow food. I did not say it was easy, nor practical, but it is better for the planet.

Old 04-27-2023, 03:56 PM

^^Define "better for the planet?"

H.sapiens is part of the planet too. Our advances in agronomy have allowed a huge increase in the carrying capaqcity of the planet for our species beyond that of the simple hunter-gatherer style that we evolved with...In that style, it takes 2 sq mi of good habitat (forest) to support one life...There's 8 billion of us now-- not enough habitat to suport us all naturally....

The only way our modern ag is "non-sustainable" is if the totalitrians take away fossil fuels...Over half the world's production depends on the energy intensive Haber-Bosch process to make fertilizer...Nobody is more cognizant of sustainability than farmers..It's farmers & duck hunters who are responsible for the vast majority of conservation effectiveness in this country.

In regards eating local produce-- most of that kale, carrots, tomatoes, celery etc is low density nutrition that we could easily do without. From the nutrional standpoint, only peas, beans, grain and potatoes are worth growing (and we could debate the need for grain) for direct human consumption.

Most "organic farms" run by the hippy types go out of busines within a few years-- production is low yield, labor intensive. The value in using "artifical" chemicals in ag is nt to increase yuield, but to help guarantee yield. Without them, one bad year of drought or pestilence and you're wiped out...Ever watch Little House on the Prairie?

Old 04-27-2023, 04:04 PM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
I live in California so I am keenly aware of our water, fire, earthquake, you name it situations! I am also aware that we live in a produce nirvana. Local farms are everywhere.
I was just responding to the OP who said vegetarianism is best for the planet and my counter was slow food. I did not say it was easy, nor practical, but it is better for the planet.
This is one of the reasons I try to eat at restaurants that do local, farm to table stuff. Their menus change with the season.

That and shopping at farmer's markets. Fresh produce has a better taste and nutrition, and it helps your community farmers and ranchers.

I also have a garden.... but I am not especially adept at gardening, so I would starve.

I've had some volunteer plants pop up, sunflowers, millet and I think there is a type of squash popping up right now.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-27-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

That and shopping at farmer's markets. Fresh produce has a better taste and nutrition, and it helps your community farmers and ranchers.
Farmers Markets are expensive...and around here (WI) most of the produce isn't grown by the entrpreneurs--The market in Madison opened this month, but the ground is still frozen here. Where'd that stuff come from?

We can't argue taste, but in general, you're right. When you only eat the home grown, fresh stuff, you forget how much better it is until you go back to the store-bought stuff... I will agree that if the produce is actually grown locally, then you're helping the local farmers.

The difference in nutrional value btween fresh vs commerical produce is real but small and not worth mentioning.

Lest people think I'm some sort of a biased, industrial ideologue, let me state that I'm a homesteader who produces >75% of the food I eat, all by "organic" (not that I think it's important-- I'm not doing it commercially, so no need to maximize profits) methods. It's just that I know more than a little about nutrition, health effects and agriculture.

While I'm happy that I can grow my own, not everybody is so lucky to have the time, skills and land to do so. They must rely on the commerical food supply chain, and there is no reason that they should be falsely led to believe that it is not safe or unhealthy in any way.

Old 04-27-2023, 04:57 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The market in Madison opened this month, but the ground is still frozen here. Where'd that stuff come from?
Greenhouses, a great invention.

Old 04-27-2023, 08:12 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I recently saw a wonderful documentary on the benefits of eating a vegetarian diet. This documentary is scientific by nature and presented facts and stories that were kind of mind blowing. My son, a bonified carnivore, swore to never change his diet, was in fact saying last night that he may in fact be wrong about his dietary choices. This change in his mind is something of a minor miracle, because, according to him, he is never wrong about anything.

I've been a vegetarian since 1973, and an off and on vegan for about 6 years. Vegans and vegetarians are NOT the same.

I have never once had the desire to go off plant based eating.

I would challenge anyone who is truly interested in being healthier to give this documentary a try.

It's called Game Changers. It's on Netflix
Umm....could it be that gladiators....slaves about to perish in an arena for sport....were vegetarian because meat is expensive and it was kindof wasted on people about to die?

Old 04-27-2023, 08:31 PM

25,570 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Roman Gladiators were vegetarians
Yeah, well, I'm not.
I'm 77. I don't think a gladiator ever lived that long. I eat meat. Plenty of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness