Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2023, 12:51 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times

Advertisements

I don't see how the diet of gladiators from thousands of years ago would be important, significant, or relevant. I guess some people are easily swayed by certain stories. What's next... the diet of Mongolian deep-sea divers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 02:39 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post

Do you know the best way to eat for the planet? research the slow food movement. This is where you source your food from the closest possible places. Small farms and ranches where you are not relying on commercial produce being trucked and flown allover the planet.

That's the localvore movement. Slow food can come from anywhere, it just gets prepared with intention.

Old 04-26-2023, 02:43 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,757,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Gladiators were vegetarians.

So, I am supposed to base my diet on people with an average life expectancy of 25.

Gladiators were fed cheaply. Why waste good meat on guys who will be dead in 2 weeks anyway? They loaded them up with high energy carbs and then waved good-bye while they built their coffins.

Meanwhile, I would rather die a year or two younger than give up steak and bacon and hamburgers.

92-year-old billionaire Warren Buffet, who subsists on hamburgers and other fast food, said he would rather give up a couple of years of life than eat what he doesn't like. The man eats at MacDonalds for free.

https://www.mashed.com/240851/this-i...uch-fast-food/
I’ve read that gladiators were highly prized, in the same way that pro athletes are today and were given the best food and medical care.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancien...ators_01.shtml

Old 04-26-2023, 02:56 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,757,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think the biggest health boost for the US population would be to cut out fast food, and eat a whole food/homemade diet rich in variety.
Transfats too they are a killer!

Old 04-26-2023, 03:12 PM

7,268 posts, read 5,147,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Transfats too they are a killer!
Please show us the data to support that statement.

Old 04-26-2023, 03:44 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Please show us the data to support that statement.
Like all the top tier health sites like Mayo Clinic, etc.

Any way.... gladiators...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-27-2023, 06:09 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
It's on Netflix
Then it’s propaganda.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-27-2023, 07:53 AM

7,268 posts, read 5,147,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Like all the top tier health sites like Mayo Clinic, etc.
That's unsubstantiated opinion, not data....If you'd look into it critically, you'd find there is only preciously feeble data to support the opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I don't see how the diet of gladiators from thousands of years ago would be important, significant, or relevant. I guess some people are easily swayed by certain stories. What's next... the diet of Mongolian deep-sea divers?
Exactly-- Considering the life expectancy of a prisoner turned gladiator was less than three yrs, they could go on an All Twinky Diet and it wouldn't change anything....Why do sky-divers wear helmets? If the shute doesn't open, will it make a difference?

Old 04-27-2023, 08:39 AM

310 posts, read 323,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
That's the localvore movement. Slow food can come from anywhere, it just gets prepared with intention.
Localvore and Slow Food are basically the same thing. Slow Food is a movement, while Localvore is a term.

Slow Food is an organization that promotes local food and traditional cooking. It was founded by Carlo Petrini in Italy in 1986 and has since spread worldwide. Promoted as an alternative to fast food, it strives to preserve traditional and regional cuisine and encourages farming of plants, seeds, and livestock characteristic of the local ecosystem. It promotes local small businesses and sustainable foods. It also focuses on food quality, rather than quantity.[2] It was the first established part of the broader slow movement. It speaks out against overproduction and food waste.[3] It sees globalization as a process in which small and local farmers and food producers should be simultaneously protected from and included in the global food system.[4][5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_Food

Old 04-27-2023, 10:14 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
If anyone else has received a PM from the OP, please let me know.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness