Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 02:43 PM

7,270 posts, read 5,150,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Living longer with poor health isn't a good idea. Being kept alive by medically and not naturally is not a good way to live.
But it sure beats the alternative if you're not ready to die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 03:44 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,423,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
NO!!! I can spot rationalization a mile away, be it from me or from others. I did the original post because I would like to give some people a chance to see that a vegetarian diet (hate that word) can be sustainable and provide a healthy, cruelty free way of providing sustenance for our bodies. I'm not here to debate anything or anyone.
Yes a vegetarian diet can absolutely be a healthy option. Vegetarian does not equal vegan. But a vegetarian diet is not "cruelty-free." That is a marketing phrase that doesn't really mean anything. Millions of animals are gruesomely mutilated and killed by carbines on produce farms every season. There is nothing "cruelty-free" about it. Pesticides poison bugs, insects, worms. Various mammals and birds feed on those poisoned bugs, insects, and worms, and suffer from the poison. Weed killer does the same. Even organic pesticides exist to KILL animals - insects and bugs.

If you mean "cruelty-free to bambi, porky-pig, and bessy the cow" then sure. Your choice doesn't harm deer, pigs, or cows. But that is not "cruelty-free." It's "cruelty-selective."

Old 04-26-2023, 03:40 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,231,510 times
Cruelty by design that can be avoided is worth aspiring to. Of course, we can't escape all cruelty and suffering if we are to survive but to make an honest effort to avoid built-in cruelty is a worthy goal. Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:50 AM

708 posts, read 1,297,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Cruelty by design that can be avoided is worth aspiring to. Of course, we can't escape all cruelty and suffering if we are to survive but to make an honest effort to avoid built-in cruelty is a worthy goal. Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.
As I mentioned, I became a vegetarian 50 years ago this past February. I became one for one reason only, and that is that I no longer wanted to be part of eating anything that had a face. Believe me, I've heard just about everything about my no longer eating meat, etc. from friends and relatives. My immediate family thought I wouldn't live longer than a few years. "Lettuce has feelings too." Some of the excuses I've read in this thread take the cake. Again, I don't care what anyone else does, but I don't like animals killed to be eaten when there is a cruelty free option.
Remember this was the early 70s and there wasn't MUCH talk about vegetarianism being healthy and it wasn't until later that the health benefits of being a vegetarian came into play. Still, 50 years later the health benefits are still secondary to me. I emphasized MUCH because I know how picky some of you are.
For those people interested in saying how wrong I am about everything and that vegetarianism started in the 60s, have at it. I was at Woodstock and I didn't see to many vegetarian options, or perhaps it was the lack of food. I never got to the Wavy Gravy stand. I just hope you aren't so rigid about everything, Rigid people are generally not much fun.
Now at 77 I'm quite sure that I have reaped the benefits of my way of eating as I've not had the heart disease that killed the men in my immediate family and I'm sure there are other benefits as my blood tests can confirm, and I'm DAMN sure I've saved an animal or three during my 18,000+ days of being a pacifist plant eater. However, I do like a good donut now and then and I'm sure glad I don't have additional mercury, antibiotics or steroids in my system. It's been checked.
Have a nice day

Last edited by seethelight; 04-26-2023 at 09:08 AM..

Old 04-26-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
As I mentioned, I became a vegetarian 50 years ago this past February. I became one for one reason only, and that is that I no longer wanted to be part of eating anything that had a face. Believe me, I've heard just about everything about my no longer eating meat, etc. from friends and relatives. My immediate family thought I wouldn't live longer than a few years. "Lettuce has feelings too." Some of the excuses I've read in this thread take the cake. Again, I don't care what anyone else does, but I don't like animals killed to be eaten when there is a cruelty free option.
Remember this was the early 70s and there wasn't MUCH talk about vegetarianism being healthy and it wasn't until later that the health benefits of being a vegetarian came into play. Still, 50 years later the health benefits are still secondary to me. I emphasized MUCH because I know how picky some of you are.
For those people interested in saying how wrong I am about everything and that vegetarianism started in the 60s, have at it. I was at Woodstock and I didn't see to many vegetarian options, or perhaps it was the lack of food. I never got to the Wavy Gravy stand. I just hope you aren't so rigid about everything, Rigid people are generally not much fun.
Now at 77 I'm quite sure that I have reaped the benefits of my way of eating as I've not had the heart disease that killed the men in my immediate family and I'm sure there are other benefits as my blood tests can confirm, and I'm DAMN sure I've saved an animal or three during my 18,000+ days of being a pacifist plant eater. However, I do like a good donut now and then and I'm sure glad I don't have additional mercury, antibiotics or steroids in my system. It's been checked.
Have a nice day
I share your sentiments. The bolded line in your post is confusing. What did you mean by that?

Old 04-26-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I share your sentiments. The bolded line in your post is confusing. What did you mean by that?
I didn't mean to have that bolded. Not sure why it was and not sure my sentiment is right. Just a bit puzzled by many of the bizzare (to me) comments on my post.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:33 AM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
On the other side we have this example of what another great conquerer, and his team ate. I saved the below from 2014.

"I’ve been reading a biography of Genghis Khan. Protein helps Genghis Khan conquer the world written by an anthropologist who spent over five years in Mongolia researching his subject. I came across an interesting paragraph that I thought I would share. A little background.
After Genghis Khan had achieved dominion over the entirety of Mongolia he received notice that his submission was required by the Golden Khan, the leader of the Jurched dynasty centered in what is now northern China. Genghis Khan decided to attack rather than submit. He began preparations for a march by his thousands of troops (the so-called Mongol horde) across the Gobi Desert and an attack on the Golden Khan, who resided in what is now Beijing.

The quote:

>>>The Chinese noted with surprise and disgust the ability of the Mongol warriors to survive on little food and water for long periods; according to one, the entire army could camp without a single puff of smoke since they needed no fires to cook. Compared to the Jurched soldiers, the Mongols were much healthier and stronger. The Mongols consumed a steady diet of meat, milk, yogurt, and other diary products, and they fought men who lived on gruel made from various grains. The grain diet of the peasant warriors stunted their bones, rotted their teeth, and left them weak and prone to disease. In contrast, the poorest Mongol soldier ate mostly protein, thereby giving him strong teeth and bones. Unlike the Jurched soldiers, who were dependent on a heavy carbohydrate diet, the Mongols could more easily go a day or two without food.<<<

I’ve always maintained that one can discover more nutritional wisdom from the anthropological data than from the giant mass of current medical papers. This quote proves it."

https://www.amazon.com/Genghis-Khan-...e=UTF8&s=books

"NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • The startling true history of how one extraordinary man from a remote corner of the world created an empire that led the world into the modern age—by the author featured in Echoes of the Empire: Beyond Genghis Khan.

The Mongol army led by Genghis Khan subjugated more lands and people in twenty-five years than the Romans did in four hundred. In nearly every country the Mongols conquered, they brought an unprecedented rise in cultural communication, expanded trade, and a blossoming of civilization. Vastly more progressive than his European or Asian counterparts, Genghis Khan abolished torture, granted universal religious freedom, and smashed feudal systems of aristocratic privilege.

From the story of his rise through the tribal culture to the explosion of civilization that the Mongol Empire unleashed, this brilliant work of revisionist history is nothing less than the epic story of how the modern world was made."

--------------------------------------------
Seems like they may have left out some of his "less than nice" things.

Check out the Dan Carlin Hardcore History "Wrath of the Khans" podcast if you liked the book.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:55 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Before I became a commercial produce grower I went to several short courses put on at different universities. You could always spot the vegetarians. They were the skinny, pale, very unhealthy looking people proudly telling anyone who would listen they are vegetarians.

At the University of Arizona one of the teachers was a vegetarian who was pregnant. When asked about if she was eating like a vegetarian during the pregnancy she said no. The reason was she said it would be very unhealthy for the baby. Weirdly she said after she was done nursing the child she was going back to being a vegetarian.

I could only see doing it if it was for real health reasons.
My ex's OB said the same thing. He said that non meat protein was insufficient during pregnancy.

Old 04-26-2023, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I didn't mean to have that bolded. Not sure why it was and not sure my sentiment is right. Just a bit puzzled by many of the bizzare (to me) comments on my post.
I bolded it so you'd know what I was referring to. I didn't understand you saying you hoped I wasn't so rigid about everything. I thought you must have somehow misunderstood my post about aspiring to less cruel food sources.

Old 04-26-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I bolded it so you'd know what I was referring to. I didn't understand you saying you hoped I wasn't so rigid about everything. I thought you must have somehow misunderstood my post about aspiring to less cruel food sources.
No I didn't and never worry about what other people think about you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness