Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 05:57 AM

88,616 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Grandfather dies at 48. Dad died at 54. I just turned 54.
My grandfather died at 59 of a heart attack. Never knew him. When my dad turned 60, he said, "Well, I made it!" All but one of his father's brothers died of heart attacks in their 50s, as did most of his male cousins on his father's side. My dad lived to 78, dying of a heart attack on the kitchen floor.

Then five years ago, my brother, 51, noticed swelling in his legs. Turned out he has a weak heart muscle, and they said it was probably genetic. He takes meds to keep the heart pumping better. Now we wonder if that's what killed all those other males on Dad's side.

Old 05-05-2023, 05:59 AM

88,616 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Guido, that is funny. And below is what really happened in my family.

My great aunt was in her 70's, no health issues, she died in the exam room at the doctor's office. My grandpa was in the waiting room and the doctor brought out her purse and told him she passed away. Shocked all of us because her twin sister was the one who had a ton of health issues.

And years later her other sister, my grandma, died at 89 of a heart attack in the doctor's waiting room before she went in. Just there for a check up. My poor mom was right next to her and no one could save her.

Honestly, I think sharing these stories is good, it may encourage readers to go see the doctor or get rid of some unhealthy habits.
Gee, all these stories of people dying AT the doctors' offices does not make me want to go there at all!

Old 05-05-2023, 07:50 AM

17,402 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Gee, all these stories of people dying AT the doctors' offices does not make me want to go there at all!
There are even more stories of people dropping dead at work. Walked in the office, hung their coat up, said "good morning", went to their desk, fired up their PC, picked up the phone and...dropped dead at their desk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 07:52 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,691,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Marathon runner Jim Fixx, started running in 1967 at age 35, lost about 60 lbs doing so, wrote the 1977 best selling book The Complete Guide to Running.

Died at age 52 in 1984, heart attack while doing his morning run.

Read the rest from Wikipedia.

In summary, Fixx wasn't perfect, had put weight back on at age 52, had a stressful job, just went through a second divorce, his father had a history of heart disease and died young from a second heart attack as well.

Also, I believe that statin drugs hit the market until the late 1980's and weren't widely prescribed until the 1990's.
It's also well known that Fixx believed his running protected him from the effects of a high-saturated-fat diet. It didn't.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:24 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,772,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
It's also well known that Fixx believed his running protected him from the effects of a high-saturated-fat diet. It didn't.
What was he eating?

I've heard running regularly reduces the chances of heart disease by 30 to 50%.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:47 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,890,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Blame your parents, not yourself....Of the five problems you list, only the COPD is your fault (and even that has a genetic component to it.

BTW- psoriatic arthrits is basically Rheumatoid Arthritis with a skin component (or is RA basically Psoriatic Arthritis without the skin component?)...Both are associated with a high risk of early arteriosclerosis. Even many docs tend to forget that...With five risk factors for CAD, you deserve a stress test now, before you develop symptoms.

Yea, I left that one out. Im a walking time bomb, but hey Im trying...........

Old 05-05-2023, 09:12 AM

7,141 posts, read 12,675,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Oh boy where to start - Psoriatic arthritis, TYpe 2 diabetic, COPD, High Blood Pressure, High cholesterol, AVNRT, Bad knees, hands dont work great due to arthritis, overweight, I can go on.............all my fault! Got lazy, fat, smoked too much, and just in general abused myself to get this way.

Stopped smoking 2 years ago, been on diet for the last 2 years, dropped 25 pounds, but I cant exercize due to joint pain and bad knees, and going to the doc Monday for check up. Getting better, except for my pain...

Oh I forgot, two knee surgeries, carpal tunnel surgery, and may have back surgery in a couple of months.
Geez..that's a lot to deal with. So glad to hear you're on a journey to improve your health.

Wondering if water exercises in a pool might be possible for your aching joints. Water supports your body weight so it eases the pain.

Chair yoga is something else to explore...

Me, I'd ask your Doc what he/she thinks...

Best of luck! Don't give up the ship...

Old 05-05-2023, 09:21 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I know it sounds counterintuitive, but I also have psoriatic RA, and exercise will make it better in the long run. I cried when exercising the first year, but got back to normal. That probably won't help you knee issue though. Water exercise is a fabulous option.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-05-2023, 09:55 AM

739 posts, read 412,923 times
It's based on diet, exercise and luck. You can do all the right things but then you still have a heart attack. I had a TIA in my 40s (over 10 years ago).

Old 05-05-2023, 10:01 AM

17,402 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Diet and exercise are absolutely key players in your quality of life. I don't know that we can expect to cheat death, but we can certainly do our best to make our years on this planet as enjoyable as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness