Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 10:38 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I believe ones health is dictated by genes rather than actions in most cases. Its the very reason why some people can smoke their entire life, be completely healthy and die old whereas other smoke for 10 years and die of cancer at 35. I always think of the dad in grumpy old men..."just goes to show you", lol.

I personally dont want to live to a ripe old age and I feel my family is cursed by living to their late 90's. I know I am one of the few with this mindset but I just dont want to live that long and therefore I dont go out of my way to see the doctor. In fact, in 2019 I had to go for something VA related and they took my blood and said I had high cholesterol...here it is 2023 and I havent been back since. Just dont want to know and would rather suddenly die one day than worry about it. When its my time, its my time.
That's not an uncommon health viewpoint. As long as you enjoy your life and don't get any painful health issues, more power to ya!

Me, I enjoy life so much. I'd like to continue on as long as I still feel that way and am not suffering any awful pain.

So I do all the things I've read can prevent the common diseases. Diet, exercise, stress reduction.

No guarantees, of course...last month, my friend's brother was struck and killed by lightening--a one in a million chance. He was on a family vacation on a lake. Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 11:03 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
That's not an uncommon health viewpoint. As long as you enjoy your life and don't get any painful health issues, more power to ya!

Me, I enjoy life so much. I'd like to continue on as long as I still feel that way and am not suffering any awful pain.

So I do all the things I've read can prevent the common diseases. Diet, exercise, stress reduction.

No guarantees, of course...last month, my friend's brother was struck and killed by lightening--a one in a million chance. He was on a family vacation on a lake. Sad.
I enjoy life as well, but for me I want to check out before I ever get to a point where I have to depend on anyone else for help. I also have a difficult time getting older and regardless if I am still able bodied, I dont want to look in the mirror and see an old man looking back at me. I also exercise and wouldnt consider myself to have a bad diet, however, I do it purely for looks rather than health.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:28 AM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
I enjoy life as well, but for me I want to check out before I ever get to a point where I have to depend on anyone else for help. I also have a difficult time getting older and regardless if I am still able bodied, I dont want to look in the mirror and see an old man looking back at me. I also exercise and wouldnt consider myself to have a bad diet, however, I do it purely for looks rather than health.
If only more people were this honest.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I have a friend who is nearly perfect and done everything right. Whatever they did wrong they are in total denial over. However, now at 70 with back surgery and now thinking they need hip surgery. This person is kind of losing it. It's like some bargain they had that if they did everything right they would never age or grow old. They still see themselves as 25 physically while everyone else sees 70.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
My younger brother died 10 years ago at the age of 56. He had started smoking in his early teens, then later added pot and alcohol to the mix. While his weight was in the normal range, AFAIK he never made an effort to engage in healthy eating. My SIL used to make healthy meals which he ate but he also ate a lot of junk food.

It concerned my SIL that he wouldn't go to the doctor. So, she would make an appt. for him, which he always ended up cancelling claiming he didn't have time because he was busy at work. Finally, he told her to not make any more appts. for him and that he would do it when he was ready...which was never.

When he got to the point where he was constantly out of breath and his lips were turning blue, she told him that she would divorce him if he didn't go to the doctor. He finally did go. Not only did he have advanced emphysema but he also had lung cancer. Tests showed that he had the cancer for about a year before it was detected. They let him know that due to his emphysema, he couldn't have surgery. In the end, he had in-home hospice care before the cancer claimed him.

Our mother had been an alcoholic and a chain smoker. She quit smoking 10 years before she died but it was too little too late. In the end, she had lung and liver cancer that spread to her bones. She also had Alzheimer's. Like my brother, she rarely went to the doctor. I suspect she didn't want to hear what the doctor would say to her. She was 75 when she died. My brother saw how it was for her in the end but it didn't motivate him to make any positive changes, sad to say.

I have heard stories about men who died in their 50s. My parents had a friend who was also 56 that died. He had had heart surgery and was a smoker. One day while he was recuperating at home, he took a nap and his wife found him dead in bed.
I personally don't think it's right to second guess dead people. Let them rest in peace. I mean for God's sake.

They might not have been that wrong. I went through $100k in diagnostics; they actually killed me and resuscitated me. They put me through so much just to get an accurate diagnosis. Then, they don't treat the lymphoma (I'm "watch and wait"). I've had accidents/injuries requiring surgeries and other issues requiring procedures and surgeries. I'm done!!! They are not cutting into me any longer. They will really need to explain and coordinate between the various doctors to even get me to do more MRI's/CT Scans/PET Scans.

You really have no idea the entire thought processes, emotions, and physical and psychological implications with your family members. So, give it a rest. Focus on your own life and apply your principles to yourself. Lead by example (because talk is cheap). Attacking the dead is beyond morose. Life really is for the living.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I enjoy life as well, but for me I want to check out before I ever get to a point where I have to depend on anyone else for help.
Oh, I definitely agree wholeheartedly with this statement!

Old 05-04-2023, 12:32 PM

22,449 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I personally don't think it's right to second guess dead people. Let them rest in peace. I mean for God's sake.

They might not have been that wrong. I went through $100k in diagnostics; they actually killed me and resuscitated me. They put me through so much just to get an accurate diagnosis. Then, they don't treat the lymphoma (I'm "watch and wait"). I've had accidents/injuries requiring surgeries and other issues requiring procedures and surgeries. I'm done!!! They are not cutting into me any longer. They will really need to explain and coordinate between the various doctors to even get me to do more MRI's/CT Scans/PET Scans.

You really have no idea the entire thought processes, emotions, and physical and psychological implications with your family members. So, give it a rest. Focus on your own life and apply your principles to yourself. Lead by example (because talk is cheap). Attacking the dead is beyond morose. Life really is for the living.
Not attacking the dead. Just explaining what happened to them. When they were alive, I never said anything to them about their lifestyles.

In fact, I took lessons from them on what not to do. Plus, I do know I can do all I can to stay healthy but realize that genetics also plays a part in all of this.

I'm sorry to hear of your experiences and don't blame you for not wanting them to cut into you any longer.

Old 05-04-2023, 02:19 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,383 times
About 10 years ago my FIL was saying that sp many friends that went on the Atkins diet had died of a heart attack. The people he knew were 55-65 years old and they were on that diet because they were overweight, albeit some of them not very. Sometimes it is easy to see one type of correlation and not realize that it is actually due to a different one. The Macarena didn't cause people to get married, it was just the big thing that was around when all my friends were in our mid-20s so it was on at every wedding.

Old 05-04-2023, 02:20 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times
It’s alarming when genetics contributes to the matter at hand. I knew of a college professor who died at 42 in the shower while getting ready for school. He was fit, had an ideal weight, ran marathons, and lifted weights. His father died in his 50’s.

Old 05-04-2023, 02:55 PM

37,101 posts, read 41,226,282 times
An Atlanta newspaper ran an article once about men whose wives saved their lives because they nagged them into going to the doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness