Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 03:45 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
People always seem to forget the story of Marathon-- The Greeks held back the Persians at Marathon and sent a messenger (no doubt named Nick) to warn them at Athens that the Persians got in their boats and were headed to Athens...Nick ran the 26 miles, delivered the message...and promptly DROPPED DEAD.
Well no. Why would we bring up one incident from thousands of years ago?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 03:51 PM

6,095 posts, read 3,336,497 times
I’m a retired military guy in my 50’s. Did 24 years in uniform and now 7 and counting as a contractor.

But it is amazing the number of guys that I served with that have passed away. These guys aren’t old, either. Late 40’s, and into their 50’s.

Being in the military can be incredibly stressful. So maybe that’s it? Guys that have been working hard for decades, then when they retire, you’d think they would relax and get healthy.

Somehow, the lack of stress could be detrimental? I don’t really get it, to be honest.

Because I know all these guys that have passed, I’m constantly going back and forth in my mind if I should keep working or not?

On the one hand, I want to enjoy my life and relax. That would be horrible if I passed away while still on the job and missed out on a leisure life of travel and just having fun.

But on the other hand, I absolutely love my job, love still being able to make a difference, to train the guys still in uniform to be better at their jobs.

It’s a dilemma. Anyway, I wish there was something that could be useful to try and prevent all these guys from dying young.

Old 05-05-2023, 04:01 PM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Elite athletes seem to live longer https://sportsmedicine-open.springer...798-015-0024-x

There is such a thing a "athlete's heart"-- like any other muscle, heart muscles grows thicker when excercsed regularly. Thicker cardiac muscle (cardiac hypertrophy) is more prone to ischemia. But like any other mucscle, it also recedes in thickness when rested for prolinged periods. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...athletes-heart

Old 05-05-2023, 05:39 PM

30,425 posts, read 21,234,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
My father died of a widowmaker on his 47th birthday.
A tree limb got him?

Old 05-05-2023, 05:48 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
A tree limb got him?
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...r-heart-attack

"A widowmaker heart attack happens when you have a blockage in the biggest artery in your heart. That means blood can’t move through your left anterior descending (LAD) artery, which provides 50% of your heart muscle’s blood supply. Immediate treatment is crucial for a chance at survival."

Old 05-05-2023, 05:56 PM

30,425 posts, read 21,234,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...r-heart-attack

"A widowmaker heart attack happens when you have a blockage in the biggest artery in your heart. That means blood can’t move through your left anterior descending (LAD) artery, which provides 50% of your heart muscle’s blood supply. Immediate treatment is crucial for a chance at survival."
Well that is what i want in my sleep. I have been ready to go for a while and see if we really do see all the peeps that left us.

Old 05-05-2023, 06:39 PM

11,461 posts, read 5,980,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I’m a retired military guy in my 50’s. Did 24 years in uniform and now 7 and counting as a contractor.

But it is amazing the number of guys that I served with that have passed away. These guys aren’t old, either. Late 40’s, and into their 50’s.

Being in the military can be incredibly stressful. So maybe that’s it? Guys that have been working hard for decades, then when they retire, you’d think they would relax and get healthy.

Somehow, the lack of stress could be detrimental? I don’t really get it, to be honest.

Because I know all these guys that have passed, I’m constantly going back and forth in my mind if I should keep working or not?

On the one hand, I want to enjoy my life and relax. That would be horrible if I passed away while still on the job and missed out on a leisure life of travel and just having fun.

But on the other hand, I absolutely love my job, love still being able to make a difference, to train the guys still in uniform to be better at their jobs.

It’s a dilemma. Anyway, I wish there was something that could be useful to try and prevent all these guys from dying young.

If you love your job, it is not "work". Count yourself lucky and keep working until you stop loving your job.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:55 PM

565 posts, read 471,177 times
When I got out of the Marine Corps at age 22 in 1987 I thought: "well there goes my chance to die a glorious death in battle." But now I'm not so sure. Be of good cheer brothers! The Valkyries may choose you yet!

Old 05-06-2023, 12:56 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Well that is what i want in my sleep.....
I agree.

I want to die peacefully and quietly in my sleep like my uncle did....not screaming in terror like all his pasengers.

Old 05-06-2023, 05:04 AM

8,414 posts, read 7,407,792 times
Yeah, yeah, yeah...

I want to die at 95, shot by a jealous husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness