Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 04:27 AM

82 posts, read 82,919 times

Advertisements

I medication caused this. I used it for less than 2 weeks. It's called diclofenac sodium 1 gel. In order to use it I have to use more than what is recommended because of the area I am using it on. I stopped a few days ago but I still have ear ringing mostly on the right ear. It's not listed as a negative side effect but there are others who experience the same exact symptom. It's not a coincidence that the first time I use this then I have ear ringing when I never had it before using the medication.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads...cal-gel.46531/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2023, 08:39 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,032,420 times
I've used this gel on my knee and didn't notice that side effect, even though I already have tinnitus. I've been seen by ENT's and nothing can be done. That's my case.

Old 06-25-2023, 12:58 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Many medications (including the NSAID you're using) include ear ringing as a potential side effect, but it's usually one of the rarer ones. If your ear ringing actually was caused by the drug, it may be temporary. Stop the medication, the ringing may stop too. If it doesn't, the medication may have had little to nothing to do with it.

Developing tinnitus while using that medication certainly could be coincidence. Tinnitus is extremely common, and it becomes more common with age. Quite a few health conditions contribute to your risk of developing it. It can also come on gradually. You may have had tinnitus for longer than you realize (like before you ever took that NSAID) but some other change made it more apparent. I have tinnitus but couldn't begin to tell you when it first started. I've experienced some of the risk factors in the past. It probably got triggered longer ago than I realize. It's noticeable but doesn't really bother me.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20350156

Despite all sorts of quack claims, there is no cure for tinnitus, but there are ways to cope with it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-25-2023 at 01:32 PM..

Old 06-25-2023, 06:41 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Many medications (including the NSAID you're using) include ear ringing as a potential side effect, but it's usually one of the rarer ones. If your ear ringing actually was caused by the drug, it may be temporary. Stop the medication, the ringing may stop too. If it doesn't, the medication may have had little to nothing to do with it.

Developing tinnitus while using that medication certainly could be coincidence. Tinnitus is extremely common, and it becomes more common with age. Quite a few health conditions contribute to your risk of developing it. It can also come on gradually. You may have had tinnitus for longer than you realize (like before you ever took that NSAID) but some other change made it more apparent. I have tinnitus but couldn't begin to tell you when it first started. I've experienced some of the risk factors in the past. It probably got triggered longer ago than I realize. It's noticeable but doesn't really bother me.

Despite all sorts of quack claims, there is no cure for tinnitus, but there are ways to cope with it.
There is a treatment for tinnitus caused by hearing impairment, and that is - hearing aids. They can reduce and even eliminate the ringing over time, if you wear them every day from morning til bedtime. If you stop wearing the hearing aids for more than a couple days in a row, the tinnitus is likely to return.

Old 06-25-2023, 06:52 PM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Check on your ear wax.
Blockage of the ear canal by earwax or by fluid from an ear infection can trigger tinnitus.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:34 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,289,046 times
I had luck with meclizine helping to terminate a recent weeks-long bout of tinnitus brought on by using a power tool without hearing protection (on top of damage caused by a friend firing a 357 magnum when my hearing protection wasn't on many years ago).

However I don't think taking another medicine to counteract medicine side effects is a great idea.

Old 06-28-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:

I never had ear ringing. It's not a coincidence that the first time I use it I get it. Less than 2 weeks of using it and it happens exactly after I used it and happened to others and it's not the medication? Nonsense.

Old 06-28-2023, 04:17 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojka View Post
I never had ear ringing. It's not a coincidence that the first time I use it I get it. Less than 2 weeks of using it and it happens exactly after I used it and happened to others and it's not the medication? Nonsense.
Read my post again. I did not say that medication couldn't be the cause. I wrote that it can be one of the rarer side effects of many medications, including your NSAID.

I also wrote, and this may be the more important point, that it is often a temporary side effect. Stop the med, the ringing may stop too.

Old 06-28-2023, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Read my post again. I did not say that medication couldn't be the cause. I wrote that it can be one of the rarer side effects of many medications, including your NSAID.

I also wrote, and this may be the more important point, that it is often a temporary side effect. Stop the med, the ringing may stop too.
I don't have it as much now a few days after I stopped it but I still have it. Sometimes it sounds faded. At it's worse I had it on both ears. I don't have it on my left that much anymore. The right one I think sound can trigger it but I need to use my freaking ears to listen to electronics. It's still there.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:53 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Not a cure but a slight relief solution. I wear hearing aids and they come with apps from the manufacturer. One of the apps is for tinnitus. There are a variety of sounds to choose from including nature sounds and various white noise tones. You find the tone that best matches the tone of your ringing. Set the volume to a low level while allowing you to hear what is going on around you. If you don’t wear hearing aids you can do the same with wireless ear buds or spend some time with headphones for temporary relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness