Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 10:26 AM

37,165 posts, read 41,364,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Oh it's a thing allright.

BTW, people keep calling that shot a vaccine. A true vaccine takes 10+ years of lab, trials, more trials, more trials, and more trials...

A shot takes, well, a few weeks and look at the payout.

I was once tempted to get the covid shot. But common sense took hold of me and that temptation went away.
"Shot" is a lay term for injection. You can get a vaccine as a shot. You can get antibiotics as shots. You can be treated for an allergic reaction with a shot.

The mRNA vaccines are vaccines. That is why they are called ... vaccines. The covid vaccines were preceded by decades, not a "few weeks", of research.

Medications that have multiple small trials do so because of financing. The amount of money available for the covid vaccine trials enabled larger trials, rather than a series of smaller ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 10:39 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,609,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/health/which...study-suggests

Not starting a vaccine argument. You're decision to get it, or not. But if you do, this small study is interesting and makes sense
I always get vaccines in the same arm: right. (I'm mixed-handed, but I write left handed, so most care providers have given me shots in the right arm.) I've never heard of people getting vaccines in different arms, but I guess it doesn't matter.

Old 09-06-2023, 12:32 PM

35,239 posts, read 17,123,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Ignorance is getting a shot because you are told to.
With that logic, polio and smallpox would still be a scourge today. Influenza and Covid vaccines, while not perfect, have had sharply ameliorative effects.

Old 09-06-2023, 04:07 PM

4,221 posts, read 3,773,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
With that logic, polio and smallpox would still be a scourge today. Influenza and Covid vaccines, while not perfect, have had sharply ameliorative effects.
Im not looking to get into debate about this just wanted to point out there is ignorance on both sides. You are ignorant to blindly get it as much as you are ignorant for not getting it simply because you dont want to be told to do so. Each person should do their own homework, look at statistics and use personal experiences to form an opinion on whether or not the shot is needed. If i decided it was in my best interest to get it though, personally i could care less what arm regardless of the study.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:34 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,990,492 times
I vote…for somebody else’s arm…… because they’re not putting that stuff in me or my kids.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:44 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,517,975 times
Anything that stimulates an immune response (or is designed to do so, and then does) is technically a vaccine. Many vaccines are not designed to block infection but just severity of disease.

Of course, it's up to everyone here to decide if covid vaccination makes sense for them. I think this thread is designed for those interested in vaccination, and the OP wanted to call attention to a study. Not to debate the benefits of vaccination in general.

Old 09-21-2023, 09:18 PM

829 posts, read 631,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
And how did they come up with an RSV vaccine so quickly?
They've been trying to develop a vaccine for RSV since the 1980's, so "they" didn't come up with an RSV vaccine quickly - it's been a long time coming.

Old 09-22-2023, 09:48 AM

3,463 posts, read 2,448,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Im not looking to get into debate about this just wanted to point out there is ignorance on both sides. You are ignorant to blindly get it as much as you are ignorant for not getting it simply because you dont want to be told to do so. Each person should do their own homework, look at statistics and use personal experiences to form an opinion on whether or not the shot is needed. If i decided it was in my best interest to get it though, personally i could care less what arm regardless of the study.
Apply that logic to other things:

You are ignorant to blindly stop at a red light as much as you are ignorant for not stopping at the red light simply because you don't want to be told to do so.

You are ignorant to blindly pay your rent on time as much as you are ignorant for not paying the rent on time simply because you don't want to be told to do so.

And so on and so forth.

With some things, you have to just accept on face value and continue from there, and not obsess about "researching" or digging deep into the abyss of the internet to find the outliers that prove the point you aren't capable of making otherwise.

Like wearing protective face coverings during a pandemic to REDUCE THE RISK of spreading the disease.

Like getting vaccinated to REDUCE THE RISK of death if you end up getting sick.

Old 09-22-2023, 01:29 PM

17,629 posts, read 13,420,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I always get vaccines in the same arm: right. (I'm mixed-handed, but I write left handed, so most care providers have given me shots in the right arm.) I've never heard of people getting vaccines in different arms, but I guess it doesn't matter.
When the vaccine first came out and we went for dose 2, the clinic RN insisted we use the other arm

I am a left side sleeper and knew that arm would hurt. Tried to change her mind, but no go. Said it was policy based on CDC. (She lied)

All the other injections were in right arm

Old 09-22-2023, 11:45 PM

44,658 posts, read 61,722,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I vote…for somebody else’s arm…… because they’re not putting that stuff in me or my kids.
^^^Same thing my brother said, died after 30 days in hospital from COVID-19; plus his wife and kids got covid also. Fortunately they survived but are not the same mentally now. So sad for ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness