Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 12:29 PM

1,133 posts, read 610,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
^^^Same thing my brother said, died after 30 days in hospital from COVID-19; plus his wife and kids got covid also. Fortunately they survived but are not the same mentally now. So sad for ignorance.
Sorry for your loss.

I agree about ignorance. The anti-vac crowd would easily pop all the pills that big pharma shoots out, but for some reason think that there is a big conspiracy concerning a vaccine just because of what they heard on the interweb from some dude who has a degree in something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 08:22 AM

4,208 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Apply that logic to other things:

You are ignorant to blindly stop at a red light as much as you are ignorant for not stopping at the red light simply because you don't want to be told to do so.

You are ignorant to blindly pay your rent on time as much as you are ignorant for not paying the rent on time simply because you don't want to be told to do so.

And so on and so forth.

With some things, you have to just accept on face value and continue from there, and not obsess about "researching" or digging deep into the abyss of the internet to find the outliers that prove the point you aren't capable of making otherwise.

Like wearing protective face coverings during a pandemic to REDUCE THE RISK of spreading the disease.

Like getting vaccinated to REDUCE THE RISK of death if you end up getting sick.

Stopping at a red light is the law to avoid a collision and allow the flow of traffic. That said, if the placement of the stop sign did not make sense, I would question it.

Paying rent on time is because that is when the land lord requested it. If that date did not work for me, I may negotiate a different one.

No one has to accept anything at face value if it doesnt pass the smell test and I personally have never searched to find outliers to prove my points. I rely on personal experience. The Govt on the other hand loves people that blindly accept things at face value because that means they are in control.

Individuals should be held accountable for their own personal protection in my opinion and when I look at the statistical data for Covid, I was perfectly happy with accepting that risk. If others are not, they can take whatever precautions they feel necessary.

Vaccination should be based on individual needs because again, I find the level of risk associated with Covid to be acceptable. But from personal experience, I have seen more side effects from the vaccine than anyone I knew who had Covid. What works for one person doesnt mean it will work for the next.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:28 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,401,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Stopping at a red light is the law to avoid a collision and allow the flow of traffic. That said, if the placement of the stop sign did not make sense, I would question it.

Paying rent on time is because that is when the land lord requested it. If that date did not work for me, I may negotiate a different one.

No one has to accept anything at face value if it doesnt pass the smell test and I personally have never searched to find outliers to prove my points. I rely on personal experience. The Govt on the other hand loves people that blindly accept things at face value because that means they are in control.

Individuals should be held accountable for their own personal protection in my opinion and when I look at the statistical data for Covid, I was perfectly happy with accepting that risk. If others are not, they can take whatever precautions they feel necessary.

Vaccination should be based on individual needs because again, I find the level of risk associated with Covid to be acceptable. But from personal experience, I have seen more side effects from the vaccine than anyone I knew who had Covid. What works for one person doesnt mean it will work for the next.
You would question it - but you'd still stop. Nothing is forcing you to stop. You can zoom right on through. But you have to ACCEPT that you might get a ticket for violating the rule, no matter how senseless you personally think that it might be.

If the date the landlord says the rent is due, isn't working for you, then the landlord can say "no negotiations. Pay on time, or I'll start eviction proceedings."

This is called being a responsible adult. You can CHOOSE not to be one, but then you might discover some consequences you seem to be unprepared to accept.

Old 09-25-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
You would question it - but you'd still stop. Nothing is forcing you to stop. You can zoom right on through. But you have to ACCEPT that you might get a ticket for violating the rule, no matter how senseless you personally think that it might be.

If the date the landlord says the rent is due, isn't working for you, then the landlord can say "no negotiations. Pay on time, or I'll start eviction proceedings."

This is called being a responsible adult. You can CHOOSE not to be one, but then you might discover some consequences you seem to be unprepared to accept.
Your theory is based on the assumption that we are all equally concerned about Covid and that it impacts us all the same. Being a responsible adult requires due diligence in assuring what we do to our bodies is in our best interest. Your acceptable level of risk may be different than mine and thats ok, but we need to respect each others confort levels. If one needs vaccines and face masks to feel comfy, thats fine but they should not expect me to do the same.

Old 09-25-2023, 03:41 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,205,691 times
You run red lights/stop signs here you gonna have a short life when you get whacked by another car. . .

Old 09-26-2023, 07:20 AM

3,433 posts, read 2,401,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
You run red lights/stop signs here you gonna have a short life when you get whacked by another car. . .
Yup. Just like when you work in a hospital where there are lots of sick people, and you CHOOSE not to wear a mask or vaccinate, or wash your hands, or take other reasonable precautions against those sicknesses, you're gonna have a short life when you catch their illness and die of the sickness all those patients are in there for.

Can you imagine the black plague, when doctors wore those crazy-looking bird masks, and the doctors said "y'know what - these things aren't comfortable and they infringe on my rights and freedoms. I'm not gonna wear them."

I mean you do you but if you die, oh well. Maybe someone else can offer thoughts and prayers. I used all mine up on people who wanted to do the right thing, but were unable.

Old 09-26-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Yup. Just like when you work in a hospital where there are lots of sick people, and you CHOOSE not to wear a mask or vaccinate, or wash your hands, or take other reasonable precautions against those sicknesses, you're gonna have a short life when you catch their illness and die of the sickness all those patients are in there for.

Can you imagine the black plague, when doctors wore those crazy-looking bird masks, and the doctors said "y'know what - these things aren't comfortable and they infringe on my rights and freedoms. I'm not gonna wear them."

I mean you do you but if you die, oh well. Maybe someone else can offer thoughts and prayers. I used all mine up on people who wanted to do the right thing, but were unable.
Its all about risk. The odds are pretty high that if you run a red light you are going to get into an accident. In fact, you dont even need to look at statistics to know that your risk of death is quite high for doing so, is that level of risk acceptable? Not for me.

Speaking of Covid though, I interpret the statistical data to show that there is really no need for me to be concerned. Personal experiences of friends and family who have had COvid have shown that there is no concern. What does concern me though are friends and family that have had side effects from the Covid shot. I am perfectly comfortable with the level of risk associated with Covid, whereas I am not with the shot.

All that said, you may very well have had different personal experiences that have influenced your opinion on Covid. Just goes to show one shoe doesnt fit all.

Old 09-26-2023, 02:24 PM

1,133 posts, read 610,985 times
Quote:
Its all about risk. The odds are pretty high that if you run a red light you are going to get into an accident. In fact, you dont even need to look at statistics to know that your risk of death is quite high for doing so, is that level of risk acceptable? Not for me.

Speaking of Covid though, I interpret the statistical data to show that there is really no need for me to be concerned. Personal experiences of friends and family who have had COvid have shown that there is no concern. What does concern me though are friends and family that have had side effects from the Covid shot. I am perfectly comfortable with the level of risk associated with Covid, whereas I am not with the shot.

All that said, you may very well have had different personal experiences that have influenced your opinion on Covid. Just goes to show one shoe doesnt fit all.
The Covid vaccine is definitely a personal choice. As are all vaccines / medications that we take into our bodies.

The thing is this... early during the pandemic, the vaccine was meant to slow the spread and thus ease the immense burden on the health system treating the very sick.

Therefore the vaccine was for the "common good" of society. Same goes for wearing proper face masks.

Nobody wanted to wear them or take in a vaccine. But the situation pretty much dictated that as many ppl as possible do "their part" to stop this crazy pandemic.

BTW, for all the paranoia about the big bad government "telling us" what to do... guess what? That's their job isn't it? Part of the infrastructure is having the best medical experts chime in and advise the general public on how to keep us safe and healthy.

Old 09-26-2023, 05:14 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:

The experiences of you and your friends and family do not provide a large enough sample size for you to draw a statistically significant conclusion about the vaccine.

About three fourths of the perceived adverse effects from vaccines may be due to the nocebo effect.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...-nocebo-effect

"When placebos elicit adverse events, these are often called nocebo responses.
A study finds that a third of people who received placebos during COVID-19 vaccine clinical trials reported unpleasant systemic side effects such as headache and fatigue.
The authors of the study find that 76% of side effects reported by actual vaccine recipients are likely the same effects and attributable to nocebo responses."

Statistics apply to groups, not individuals. They may help you evaluate risk, but they cannot guarantee you will not be one of the small number who get seriously ill from the infection.

Old 09-27-2023, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
The Covid vaccine is definitely a personal choice. As are all vaccines / medications that we take into our bodies.

The thing is this... early during the pandemic, the vaccine was meant to slow the spread and thus ease the immense burden on the health system treating the very sick.

Therefore the vaccine was for the "common good" of society. Same goes for wearing proper face masks.

Nobody wanted to wear them or take in a vaccine. But the situation pretty much dictated that as many ppl as possible do "their part" to stop this crazy pandemic.

BTW, for all the paranoia about the big bad government "telling us" what to do... guess what? That's their job isn't it? Part of the infrastructure is having the best medical experts chime in and advise the general public on how to keep us safe and healthy.
In your opinion, all vaccines/medications that we take into our bodies should be a personal choice, however, you also feel its the Govt's job to tell us what to do?

I think a lot of people wanted to wear masks and get the vaccine, unfortunately it was the result of the media spreading fear through bias reporting tactics and because of this it became politicized and created a divide. The crazy pandemic situation in my opinin was created by the media. If one were to have had relied on the news for their information instead of looking out the window, they would have thought it was a war zone outside. Statistics on the other hand did not dictate the need for the chaos.

As for the Govt, its run on corruption and anyone who believes they have our best interest in mind is living in a dream world unfortunately. As for them having the best medical experts, I have no proof, but I am guessing that is not the case. Anyone can be bought as can the desired results of science. The best way to keep us healthy and safe is to look out for ourselves and not rely on anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness