Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 04:37 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The experiences of you and your friends and family do not provide a large enough sample size for you to draw a statistically significant conclusion about the vaccine.

About three fourths of the perceived adverse effects from vaccines may be due to the nocebo effect.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...-nocebo-effect

"When placebos elicit adverse events, these are often called nocebo responses.
A study finds that a third of people who received placebos during COVID-19 vaccine clinical trials reported unpleasant systemic side effects such as headache and fatigue.
The authors of the study find that 76% of side effects reported by actual vaccine recipients are likely the same effects and attributable to nocebo responses."

Statistics apply to groups, not individuals. They may help you evaluate risk, but they cannot guarantee you will not be one of the small number who get seriously ill from the infection.
My interpretation of the statistics was different than many others, however, seemed to be more in line with my personal experiences.

As for the side effects from the vaccine;
- One began having her period twice a month
- Three started having heart issues and one had to be rushed to the hospital. They all had the vaccine around the same time and all started having heart issues around the same time as well. None of them knew each other and two of them were gung ho about getting the vaccine and never even considered the vaccine could have been the cause.
- Another one started having breathing problems after getting the vaccine

I agree that statistics apply to groups, but as an individual, we fit into those statistics somewhere. They do help evaluate risk and not guaranteeing that I wouldnt get sick from it, is simply part of the risk involved. I just find it comical that for instance, a 1% chance of death from Covid is unacceptable, yet a 1% chance of a side effect from the vaccine is completely acceptable to some. I dont feel that those worried about a 1% chance of death from COvid should comment on those who are concerned of the 1% chance of having a side effect from the vaccine. We all have different concerns and we should all be able to understand this and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2023, 05:19 AM

732 posts, read 601,693 times
I got the flu vaccine and the COVID booster last fall, one in each arm. Will do the same again next week. Also got both my shingles vaccines in the same arm, 4 months apart. Interesting little study. I usually go with the left arm. Being right handed, I'd rather have the sore arm on my non-dominant side. However, getting two at once, I'll split them.

Old 09-27-2023, 12:33 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
In your opinion, all vaccines/medications that we take into our bodies should be a personal choice, however, you also feel its the Govt's job to tell us what to do?

I think a lot of people wanted to wear masks and get the vaccine, unfortunately it was the result of the media spreading fear through bias reporting tactics and because of this it became politicized and created a divide. The crazy pandemic situation in my opinin was created by the media. If one were to have had relied on the news for their information instead of looking out the window, they would have thought it was a war zone outside. Statistics on the other hand did not dictate the need for the chaos.

As for the Govt, its run on corruption and anyone who believes they have our best interest in mind is living in a dream world unfortunately. As for them having the best medical experts, I have no proof, but I am guessing that is not the case. Anyone can be bought as can the desired results of science. The best way to keep us healthy and safe is to look out for ourselves and not rely on anyone else.
If you broke your arm would you set it yourself?

Old 09-27-2023, 02:14 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
I alternate arms.

That way, when I start picking up satellite radio from all the chips people say i'm getting injected with.. I'll be able to listen in stereo!

Old 09-27-2023, 02:38 PM

1,139 posts, read 615,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I alternate arms.

That way, when I start picking up satellite radio from all the chips people say i'm getting injected with.. I'll be able to listen in stereo!
Please stop spreading the obvious lies about the Covid vaccine... everybody knows it's nanobots with the new AI that Billy Gates programmed to make us buy the new Windows 12.

Old 09-27-2023, 03:07 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Please stop spreading the obvious lies about the Covid vaccine... everybody knows it's nanobots with the new AI that Billy Gates programmed to make us buy the new Windows 12.

I figured there were chronitron particles in there as well.. The damndest thing, tho.. It's not the people who get the shot that go back to the stone age, but the people who don't.

Maybe it is anti-chronitron particles?

Old 09-27-2023, 03:56 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
My interpretation of the statistics was different than many others, however, seemed to be more in line with my personal experiences.

As for the side effects from the vaccine;
- One began having her period twice a month
- Three started having heart issues and one had to be rushed to the hospital. They all had the vaccine around the same time and all started having heart issues around the same time as well. None of them knew each other and two of them were gung ho about getting the vaccine and never even considered the vaccine could have been the cause.
- Another one started having breathing problems after getting the vaccine

I agree that statistics apply to groups, but as an individual, we fit into those statistics somewhere. They do help evaluate risk and not guaranteeing that I wouldnt get sick from it, is simply part of the risk involved. I just find it comical that for instance, a 1% chance of death from Covid is unacceptable, yet a 1% chance of a side effect from the vaccine is completely acceptable to some. I dont feel that those worried about a 1% chance of death from COvid should comment on those who are concerned of the 1% chance of having a side effect from the vaccine. We all have different concerns and we should all be able to understand this and move on.
Side effects and serious adverse events are different categories. Side effects are common and due to the activation of the immune system: sore arms, muscle aches, slight fever, fatigue. They go away in a few days with no treatment at all.

Serious adverse events happen at much lower rates than 1%. You are underestimating the risk of the disease by refusing to consider that many survivors are not getting completely well, and you are overestimating the risk of the vaccines by assuming that every health condition experienced by someone who is vaccinated is due to the vaccine.

Do you have any idea how many women who are unvaccinated have menstrual irregularities? How many who are unvaccinated have "heart issues"? How many who are unvaccinated have "breathing problems"?

Looking at large groups tells us those problems do not happen at higher rates after vaccination than with it.

Statistics can tell us about the risk of a serious adverse event. They cannot tell us which individuals in a group will experience that event.

Old 09-28-2023, 06:32 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
The Covid vaccine is definitely a personal choice. As are all vaccines / medications that we take into our bodies.

The thing is this... early during the pandemic, the vaccine was meant to slow the spread and thus ease the immense burden on the health system treating the very sick.

Therefore the vaccine was for the "common good" of society. Same goes for wearing proper face masks.

Nobody wanted to wear them or take in a vaccine. But the situation pretty much dictated that as many ppl as possible do "their part" to stop this crazy pandemic.

BTW, for all the paranoia about the big bad government "telling us" what to do... guess what? That's their job isn't it? Part of the infrastructure is having the best medical experts chime in and advise the general public on how to keep us safe and healthy.
For heaven's sake, no. People who work in the government work for us. Are they always the best and brightest with the only answers? Well, no. There are medical experts and researchers here and around the world who do not work for our government.

Old 09-28-2023, 02:04 PM

1,139 posts, read 615,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
For heaven's sake, no. People who work in the government work for us. Are they always the best and brightest with the only answers? Well, no. There are medical experts and researchers here and around the world who do not work for our government.
The reason why we have a democracy is to vote in leaders that we have faith in leading our nation / Provinces / cities.

The working theory is that these leaders then hire the leading experts to guide them in providing policies that best for society. They are not going to rely on some dude who worked as a GP for 3 yrs for answers. They will talk with the Head of virology @ a leading University, etc and other experts for their opinion and guidance.

All these conspiracy type nonsense makes the government seem like some evil big brother "forcing" us good people to do things. Evil things like wearing seat belts, following the speed limits... etc.

Old 09-28-2023, 05:33 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
Quote:
The reason why we have a democracy is to vote in leaders that we have faith in leading our nation / Provinces / cities.

The working theory is that these leaders then hire the leading experts to guide them in providing policies that best for society. They are not going to rely on some dude who worked as a GP for 3 yrs for answers. They will talk with the Head of virology @ a leading University, etc and other experts for their opinion and guidance.

All these conspiracy type nonsense makes the government seem like some evil big brother "forcing" us good people to do things. Evil things like wearing seat belts, following the speed limits... etc.
If you think the Govt cares about our well being because they implement laws such as seatbelts, speed limits, etc...its not because they care about us, its because it generates revenue when we fail to comply. If safety was paramount, there wpuld be so many things that would would be outlawed but they arent, why is that if they care about our well being? Our political system runs off of corruption and they all lie and they all do the same evil things.its all about doing just enough to appear they care and hope people take the bait to gain their support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness