Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 11:56 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times

Advertisements

For a relatively inexpensive "slipper" with a really hard sole, take a look at:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/George-Me...p&from=/search

I've had mine for 2 years now, with no sign of wear like a previous thinner/softer-soled version.
Sole is very hard, to the point they can be noisy on a hardwood floor, with nonskid tread pattern. I go out in rain or light snow with them.

It is moccasin-style, and I wear socks to reduce any effect of fake fur lining

No medical need, just prefer around the house vs. any tie-type shoe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2023, 12:32 PM

619 posts, read 310,782 times
Myself, I mostly go barefoot in the house, excellent (Chippewa) work shoes sold with "orthotics" outside, but I seem to have standard American feet well served with the best shoes.

However, discussing open shoes, I cannot forget my excellent experience with Birkenstocks. Again, standard American feet (although slightly "flat"). Excellent support, and plenty of air.

YMMV.

Old 08-27-2023, 12:37 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
You meant house or street slippers, OP?
Open or closed toe?

Old 08-27-2023, 04:12 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
My doctor recommended me that.
I bought OrthoFeet slippers. They seem to work but are very warm (artificial fur inside) and not comfortable.
Are there any other slippers, please?
Haflingers boiled wool slippers. They have a heart and soul that you can walk outside in, it is non-slip, it has arch support and deep hill cups, extremely comfortable, warm in the winter, cool in the summer… it’s not cheap. But it is some thing that I have purchased again because they are wonderful and they work really well for a long time. I always wear slippers because I have diabetes and I don’t want anything in my feet.

Old 08-27-2023, 04:13 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times
I've always worn house slippers with non-slip soles because I don't wear shoes in the house for cleanliness reasons & as a lifelong apt dweller, I'm sure my underneath neighbor appreciates not listening to my heels clickity-clacking on the floors... socks alone can be slippery... & I need a slight lift in 1 shoe/slipper as I have a curved spine & one leg is slightly shorter than the other. For that reason, to accommodate the lift, I wear slippers that fit like an actual shoe & can't use slides.

I've purchased $60 ones from Land's End & even pricier ones at other stores & my fave for decades are from Target. That was a surprise. They're always between $14-20. Men & women's sizes, varying colors & even though there's a bit of "fluff" on the inside, it's not real fur, presses down quickly & is not overly hot. In fact, my feet are always cold, even in the summer, so I need to wear crew socks with them so I'm not freezing.

They are well made & in my experience, better made than Land's End. They wash well in the washing machine & have never fallen apart. I always air dry them & in summer, leave them outside on the balcony, if I have one, or a windowsill for a couple of days to dry completely. I always have 2-pairs & they last years... like more than 5. I dispose of them when the bottom gets uneven, but again, as someone with scoliosis, that's an issue for me with every shoe/slipper/boot/sneaker as I have an uneven walk... it might not be for others.

Sometimes I'll find similar models on-sale in discount stores or in the discount aisles of dept stores & buy those & they don't last as long. At first, I didn't like the ties on the front as they do loosen up & need to be knotted to be secure, but when I bought ones that didn't have ties, I found that the threading on each side loosens, like Land's End... really disappointing when you pay upwards of $60 for house slippers.

Target fits true to size. They don't come in half sizes, but most of these slippers, no matter which brand, are only whole sizes. I buy size 7 women's when I've lived in SoCal or FL, cuz I don't need socks with them. I buy 8 in colder environments so I can easily wear socks & they're not too tight.

You can test them in the store & once you know your size, buy online, where they're often $5 less... $14.99 instead of $19.99.

Good luck!

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-cha...53#lnk=sametab

Old 08-27-2023, 04:21 PM

8,408 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
My doctor recommended me that.
I bought OrthoFeet slippers. They seem to work but are very warm (artificial fur inside) and not comfortable.
Are there any other slippers, please?
LL Bean mountain slippers. I have the suede model with faux fur lining, so I know the sole is solid. There are models without lining, made of canvas.

Old 08-27-2023, 05:13 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Quote:
The regular slippers from shoe store/Amazon have a thin sole, which bends easily. The hard sole does not bend much, so the movement range for the toe is shorter. This feature helps with arthritic pain.
You question tells me you do not have arthritis yet!
OMG I have what feels like arthritis pain in my toe joints especially when it rains or snows. My Podiatrist has never confirmed this and has never said anything about what kind of slippers to wear. He did however give me an injection in my ankle for the exact same pain in my ankle when it rains or snows.

You must have good podiatrist to recognize you need better slippers with support that doesn't hurt your toes.

Thank you for answering Parhassia's good question.

Old 08-27-2023, 05:36 PM

1,352 posts, read 787,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You meant house or street slippers, OP?
Open or closed toe?
Home slippers, closed toe classics.

Old 08-27-2023, 05:41 PM

1,352 posts, read 787,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Haflingers boiled wool slippers. They have a heart and soul that you can walk outside in, it is non-slip, it has arch support and deep hill cups, extremely comfortable, warm in the winter, cool in the summer… it’s not cheap. But it is some thing that I have purchased again because they are wonderful and they work really well for a long time. I always wear slippers because I have diabetes and I don’t want anything in my feet.
They are sold out...

Old 08-28-2023, 12:14 AM

843 posts, read 562,857 times
I gave up wearing slippers. I've worn Birkenstock sandals indoors for probably 20 years, ever since I had Plantar Fasciitis. I need the arch support and Birkenstocks have that in spades. It has so much arch support that it takes a while to get used to at first. And the cork footbed does mold to your foot after a while.

I also have a Bunion - a deformed, arthritic big toe joint with bone spurs, and when I wear Birks I don't feel any pain, really. They improve my quality of life tremendously.

However, they do cost about $100 a pair, but they last for 2-3 years. MSRP is about $130 but you can usually find them a little cheaper on Amazon. They have many styles.

I don't wear them outside normally like to go to the store, etc. Some people do. I keep 1-2 pairs for indoor use only.

But I do use my old pairs to go outside. I keep an old pair inside by each door of the house and switch to them when I go outside in the yard or driveway, to get the mail, etc.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 08-28-2023 at 12:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness