Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2023, 10:44 AM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post
Talking about the dangers of smoking is a major reason WHY so few U.S. residents smoke. Raising awareness of it led to the laws that ban it from workplaces, bars, and restaurants, as well as to the heavy taxes on it that put it out of reach of a lot of people. I hope people never stop talking about it...
Absolutely.

My father smoked for a few years in the late 40's and 50's, before there were warnings about the health hazards of cigarettes. He figured it out for himself, quit cold turkey before getting married.

It's surprising that the genius J. Robert Oppenheimer didn't figure out smoking was bad for his health. He was reputed to smoke 100 cigarettes a day and died at age 62 of throat cancer.

I was curious about his height and weight since he was obviously a slender fellow. My source said 5'10" and 115 lbs. He probably didn't eat much, just kept his brain cranking along with the nicotine.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2023, 03:40 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Talking about the dangers of smoking is a major reason WHY so few U.S. residents smoke. Raising awareness of it led to the laws that ban it from workplaces, bars, and restaurants, as well as to the heavy taxes on it that put it out of reach of a lot of people. I hope people never stop talking about it.

That said, smoking is absolutely one of the worst things can do to your body. It causes all kinds of inflammatory conditions, puts a strain on your heart by narrowing your blood vessels, and is a known cause of both cancer and heart disease.

To the person who said "heart disease is the number 1 killer," yes, that is true--and a lot of that comes from smoking, in addition to obesity and type 2 diabetes, and, as in my case, crappy genetics (thanks, Dad). And it is a far more avoidable cause of death than obesity. You can choose not to smoke in the first place, so that you can never get addicted to it, and with the proper tools, you can quit so that you don't smoke at all. You cannot forego food entirely, and overweight and obesity are far more complex physically, psychologically, and socially than I can explain here without going off-topic.

Frankly, I think smoking, including vaping, oughta be outlawed entirely. There is absolutely nothing redeeming about smoking from a health perspective, and vaping is even worse, not only because it delivers a bigger hit of nicotine (thus prompting more dependence on it), but because of all the heavy metals and ingredients that are inhaled that are not only not FDA-approved for human exposure that way but downright destructive to your lungs.
I had smoked cigarettes for well over 35 years before switching to vape 13 years ago. I have had several lung cancer scans in the last 4 or 5 years and all have been clear, including the last one last month. I don't vape Juul, or any of the other name brand vapes on the market today. Those did not exist when I switched to vape 13 years ago. I know all 3 ingredients in my vape liquid and with the results of those scans I'm confident vape does not harm the body the same way cigarettes do. Without vapes I would still be smoking cigarettes today, if I were still alive after continuing to do so for another 13 years!

Old 09-21-2023, 04:44 PM

350 posts, read 196,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Our doctor told my late husband the weight would kill him fast and the smoking will kill him slow.

He died at 43. Smoking and carrying too much weight.
OMG so sorry to hear that. I needed to hear it.

My BMI has gone from 19 to 31 after quitting smoking January of the pandemic.

Quitting grazing food to replace cigarettes while home all day is just a ridiculous task.

But I guess I'm not surprised that visceral deadly fat!

Old 09-28-2023, 02:48 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I had smoked cigarettes for well over 35 years before switching to vape 13 years ago. I have had several lung cancer scans in the last 4 or 5 years and all have been clear, including the last one last month. I don't vape Juul, or any of the other name brand vapes on the market today. Those did not exist when I switched to vape 13 years ago. I know all 3 ingredients in my vape liquid and with the results of those scans I'm confident vape does not harm the body the same way cigarettes do. Without vapes I would still be smoking cigarettes today, if I were still alive after continuing to do so for another 13 years!

And you don't have COPD? Well, everybody's different.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:16 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
And you don't have COPD? Well, everybody's different.
No. In fact doctor made a point of saying "no copd".

Old 10-09-2023, 07:42 AM

5 posts, read 11,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Although only about 10% of US residents smoke, some in the medical field talk as if smoking is the nation's biggest health problem. Why? Maybe they are a disproportionate number of the patients?
Perhaps among sick people, more people are affected by smoking?

Old 10-09-2023, 05:09 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhells19 View Post
Perhaps among sick people, more people are affected by smoking?
Or perhaps because more sick people are smokers.

Old 10-10-2023, 10:36 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
ironically it's been found that smoking helps with covid. in the lungs the bioweapon has less places to attack -- the smoke products occupy many of the landing spots. crazy stuff
Source, please.

Old 10-10-2023, 10:38 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Actually... No. The research that was so widely misinterpreted had to do with nicotine, not smoking.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41533-021-00223-1

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...258-2/fulltext

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...crease-in-risk

By far, smoking leads to terrible outcomes in people who get COVID, not only because of the damage it has already caused to the lungs, but because it is associated with high blood pressure and heart disease, both of which put people at high risk for bad outcomes.
Thank you for linking to factual articles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness