Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 03:39 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times

Advertisements

I take it occasionally for insomnia. First it makes me kind of high and extremely energetic but then it finally puts me to sleep for around 10 hours.
When I'm high and energetic from it I am also dizzy and wouldn't be able to drive a car.

My cousin was on it for pain and it gave her dementia. The dr took her off it and the neck day she could remember everything. I think being on a high dose eventually caused her dememtia. Older people aren't supposed to take it but maybe it's different for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 04:20 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
It did not help my pain, but to be fair, neither does hydrocodone, oxycodone, tramadol or anything else.

Old 09-15-2023, 05:57 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,937,491 times
I took it for femal nerve damage in legs,did nothing and now after a few nerve pain meds affecting brain,I have blurry vision and permanent dizzyness and memory change,I now take on my own research B12Complex a smorgasboard of vitamin which are nourishment for damaged nerves if not dead,time will tell.No side affects so far.

Old 09-16-2023, 05:30 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
My husband was prescribed it after hip surgery. At the time, he was still taking narcotics. He felt really alarmingly terrible on it, so stopped taking it after a day.

A few weeks later, his doctor wanted him to try it again, because he was having a lot of nerve pain at the wound site. This time, he did ok on it and it seemed to help.

What I deduce from this is that gabapentin might react badly with other drugs, but has its place sometimes.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:33 AM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
My mother takes it for neuropathy from the year of chemotherapy she had for breast cancer 13 years ago. If she takes the gabapentin, she doesn't have neuropathy. She's tried to stop a few times, and the neuropathy comes back as bad as it was before. It works for her. She's had no cognitive issues, at 87 she's as sharp as she was 15 years ago.

The conclusion I've made for gabapentin, and have seen mentioned elsewhere, is that if it works for you it works very well. If it doesn't work, taking more for for a longer period isn't going to change anything and the patient should stop taking it. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground with the drug.
yeah, they gave it to me for a while, for neuropathy, but it didn't work....but thankfully your mother is getting relief.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I take it occasionally for insomnia. First it makes me kind of high and extremely energetic but then it finally puts me to sleep for around 10 hours.
When I'm high and energetic from it I am also dizzy and wouldn't be able to drive a car.

My cousin was on it for pain and it gave her dementia. The dr took her off it and the neck day she could remember everything. I think being on a high dose eventually caused her dememtia. Older people aren't supposed to take it but maybe it's different for everyone.
yeah, I've heard it contributes to dementia.....

there are so very many products out there that are natural for insomnia, have your tried them?

One is magnesium, and there are many others out there you might want to try?

Old 09-16-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My husband was prescribed it after hip surgery. At the time, he was still taking narcotics. He felt really alarmingly terrible on it, so stopped taking it after a day.

A few weeks later, his doctor wanted him to try it again, because he was having a lot of nerve pain at the wound site. This time, he did ok on it and it seemed to help.

What I deduce from this is that gabapentin might react badly with other drugs, but has its place sometimes.
I became alarmed b/c I watched a video with a doctor saying it was causing a lot of problems which could lead to long term problems in people who were taking it...then my girlfriend contacted me and said that the doctors were prescribing it for her, and I became alarmed. I stopped taking it a long time ago, wasn't doing a thing for me.

Meds effect us all differently or not....but ever since I was a kid, I've been very careful about taking them unless I absolutely have to....I'd rather smoke pot (and I don't) before putting chemicals in my body.

Most doctors prescribe meds b/c they only know what the pharms tell them about their drugs...they give them samples for their patients....

I don't know, I'm just really skeptical about them, but as you say, at times, they do have their place.

They give gabapenten to people who experience seizers.

I hope your hubby is better.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:53 AM

They are giving it out off label like candy and making billions, it's becoming the new opioid. You can become addicted....it's an antiseizier med and slows down the brain

Depression, brain fog, memory loss, decrease in the ability to speak, lack of coordination, depression and anxiety....it is addictive and you can go thru severe withdraw, it is not a pain med its or seizer med....but doctors are prescribing it like candy.

So here you go.....you decide

Dangers of gabapentin, lyrica.....this med was prescribed for me, for neouropathy....didn't help, so I stopped taking it...so I started researching this drug.

Its the new opioid addiction....doctors are giving it out like candy....now think about this, it was developed for seizers, it globally slows down your brain, and the long term effect can cause, altizermers, jerky movements of your eyes, lack of coordination, decrease in the ability to speak, jerky movements, dizziness...
Phizer isn't phased by the side effects, b/c they are making billions off of it. It is not a pain med, it is in fact a seizer medication....and it's addictive.

So doctors do not tell their patients, its a seizer medication, so people are walking around with brain fog, some severe....b/c it's a seizure medication.

FDA have only approved it for seizers or shingles and they are prescribing it off label, which is ok, but its not ok as we respond to medications differently. It has not been approved for a pain medication.

Pfizer, the world's largest drug maker, pleaded guilty on 13 May to numerous civil and criminal charges for illegally promoting the off-label use of gabapentin (Neurontin). It has agreed to pay a $240m (£136m; €200m) criminal fine and $152m to state and federal healthcare programmes. But they are still selling it like candy, honestly, I'd smoke pot for pain or CBD oil, or other natural substances before I'd take some meds that doctors are prescribing....which I think is why they don't want pot legalized....(my personal opinion)

So, what I'm saying is, do research (and I mean serious research) before taking meds, any meds, your doctors only know what the pharms are telling them and using it off label for pain and other problems....

Check out that little paper that comes with each drug and read the side effects....and decide for yourself....Please do this!

Last edited by cremebrulee; 09-16-2023 at 09:12 AM..

Old 09-16-2023, 08:56 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
My husband took it, and he was pretty loopy on it. He couldn't think well, and it didn't help his neuropathy. No long term damage that we know of, it was all temporary.

But you can find a youtube on anything saying how bad it is.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-16-2023, 08:57 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
They are giving it out like candy now, especially for off label and making billions, it's become the new opioid. You can become addicted....it's an antiseizier med and slows down the brain

Depression, brain fog, memory loss, decrease in the ability to speak, lack of coordination, depression and anxiety....it is addictive and you can go thru severe withdraw, it is not a pain med its or seizer med....but doctors are prescribing it like candy.
It can also cause weight gain which will make leg pain worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness