Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 11:11 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

I disagree that most doctors push unnecessary drugs. My husband had 5 hip operations between March and September last year. His 7 year old hip was chronically infected, so it had to come out, a spacer put in for 3 months, and then a new hip. My point is, his original surgeon turned him over to another one in the practice with more experience in this procedure. Every doctor in that large Ortho group wanted nothing more than my husbands outcome to be successful (it was). The second surgeon was adamant that dh try the gabapentin again, because he believed it would help him, and it did.

It seems to me that gabapentin does not play well with opiates, but otherwise it works for som
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2023, 11:15 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I disagree that most doctors push unnecessary drugs. My husband had 5 hip operations between March and September last year. His 7 year old hip was chronically infected, so it had to come out, a spacer put in for 3 months, and then a new hip. My point is, his original surgeon turned him over to another one in the practice with more experience in this procedure. Every doctor in that large Ortho group wanted nothing more than my husbands outcome to be successful (it was). The second surgeon was adamant that dh try the gabapentin again, because he believed it would help him, and it did.

It seems to me that gabapentin does not play well with opiates, but otherwise it works for som
Yes, for the most part we have had very good luck with doctors. But I think that is because I learned early on, if the doctor seems... less than what you want, get a new doctor.

Also, things happen in steps, like the path to surgery. They usually try meds and physical therapy first, then work up to a procedure. It can be frustrating, but it is necessary.

Some people will NOT put in the work required, like diet, exercise and physical therapy, and some will. Doctors have to try to work with all of them.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-16-2023, 12:51 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times
A decade ago, I was given Gabapentin after a foot surgery (Morton's neuroma was removed) that went awry. I had 6-1/2 yrs of the same syndrome that causes phantom pain (forget what it's called)... the nerve was removed, but I felt every sensation ramped up 1000% at the same time... my foot felt simultaneously on fire, like ice was on it all day/night, like my toes were being cut with glass, throbbing & pain was searing, itching & pins & needles... etc.

It worked to the point that the sensations were lessened, but... I got acne on my face & was ragefully angry for no reason all the time. I was also told I'd have rageful, screaming outbursts I wouldn't remember. I was on it for 1-1/2 yrs, told the drs about the side effects & they told me they didn't cause those symptoms. Great... well, I didn't have them before the drug & when I stopped it on my own a few times, they'd disappear, but right, it's all in my head.

When I stopped the drug for good & just dealt with pain so severe it made me question life itself, was after 1 incident where someone was driving the wrong way into a narrow alleyway I was trying to exit. I got out of my car & asked her to back up a bit to let me out. She was immensely confused, seemed to be under the influence with glassy eyes, didn't speak English well & kept coming towards me. I got out of the car several times to ask her to back up & remind her that it was a 1-way alley & to let me out & on the last time "came to" as I was kicking her car, screaming at her in the middle of a major Boston street.

I got back to the car to try to drive forward again & my mother who never held back on voicing her opinion was silent. After I got out, finally, & was at the light waiting to turn onto the highway, she then very delicately said to me, "You've been like this since you've been on that drug. You scream & kick things & your voice sounds different. You might want to talk to the dr about going off the drug".

As I said, I kind of came to while I was kicking the car, questioning if I were dreaming it or it was really happening... that's not me. I'm a soft spoken, quiet, approachable, friendly person, who never inflicts violent rages on even a cardboard box. For me to be in the middle of the street, blocking traffic & kicking a car is like saying your newborn pet is making everyone's life on your street a nightmare.

I don't like drugs, am allergic to most (all antibiotics & about 20 others) & only take them when in or just getting out of the hospital... which is still tough as I normally have 2-3 allergic reactions that bring me right back into the ER.

I do often have the opposite effect a drug is intended for... like when they gave me some kind of Valium-ish drug prior to surgery to relax me... it made me a nervous wreck.

So, I always thought my Gabapentin reaction was normal for me, but probably not normal for others.

Old 09-16-2023, 01:02 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
"CBD oil for dogs" works wonders....they are actually over medicating and druging our dogs, and can make money on doing so....

Don't get me started on Vaccines.
CBD oil for dogs is not a thing. For best results, you have to give the full spectrum plant, which includes a small amount of THC - I get mine from the dispensary - it is recommended for dogs too, per the budtenders - I keep the dosage small. There is no intoxication, but a little relaxation.

Old 09-16-2023, 01:40 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
So I posted this thread to see if anyone has taken this medication and has had a bad reaction to it, or if you know someone who has suffered a bad reaction from it....and what the reaction was....
Anything other then that, I don't need to know, but many thanks to you.

I never had a bad reaction to the drug.

Old 09-16-2023, 01:46 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I don't believe I said Every doctor pushes unnecessary drugs....

watch the show on Netflix I suggested, it's a real eye opener.....and yes, there are caring doctors, of course,

I believe I suggested, what works for you, some people have awful reactions to medications, others do not, hence the PI's they put inside every prescription....

but I posted this b/c I wanted my girlfriend who had a compromised immune system to know about the side effects before she takes the medication....and wanted to know if the medication bothered others in a negative way, but certainly its personal prefrence and what your body can take.....

Old 09-16-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
A decade ago, I was given Gabapentin after a foot surgery (Morton's neuroma was removed) that went awry. I had 6-1/2 yrs of the same syndrome that causes phantom pain (forget what it's called)... the nerve was removed, but I felt every sensation ramped up 1000% at the same time... my foot felt simultaneously on fire, like ice was on it all day/night, like my toes were being cut with glass, throbbing & pain was searing, itching & pins & needles... etc.

It worked to the point that the sensations were lessened, but... I got acne on my face & was ragefully angry for no reason all the time. I was also told I'd have rageful, screaming outbursts I wouldn't remember. I was on it for 1-1/2 yrs, told the drs about the side effects & they told me they didn't cause those symptoms. Great... well, I didn't have them before the drug & when I stopped it on my own a few times, they'd disappear, but right, it's all in my head.

When I stopped the drug for good & just dealt with pain so severe it made me question life itself, was after 1 incident where someone was driving the wrong way into a narrow alleyway I was trying to exit. I got out of my car & asked her to back up a bit to let me out. She was immensely confused, seemed to be under the influence with glassy eyes, didn't speak English well & kept coming towards me. I got out of the car several times to ask her to back up & remind her that it was a 1-way alley & to let me out & on the last time "came to" as I was kicking her car, screaming at her in the middle of a major Boston street.

I got back to the car to try to drive forward again & my mother who never held back on voicing her opinion was silent. After I got out, finally, & was at the light waiting to turn onto the highway, she then very delicately said to me, "You've been like this since you've been on that drug. You scream & kick things & your voice sounds different. You might want to talk to the dr about going off the drug".

As I said, I kind of came to while I was kicking the car, questioning if I were dreaming it or it was really happening... that's not me. I'm a soft spoken, quiet, approachable, friendly person, who never inflicts violent rages on even a cardboard box. For me to be in the middle of the street, blocking traffic & kicking a car is like saying your newborn pet is making everyone's life on your street a nightmare.

I don't like drugs, am allergic to most (all antibiotics & about 20 others) & only take them when in or just getting out of the hospital... which is still tough as I normally have 2-3 allergic reactions that bring me right back into the ER.

I do often have the opposite effect a drug is intended for... like when they gave me some kind of Valium-ish drug prior to surgery to relax me... it made me a nervous wreck.

So, I always thought my Gabapentin reaction was normal for me, but probably not normal for others.
I am very sorry you had this bad reaction to it...

They told me, 0ver 30 years ago, I had MS, I'm not so sure now, but that's another story. I went to the doctors for something or other, and went to the pharmacy to fill the perscription I got. The pharmacist came out sat down beside me and said, "I see your on this other medication, did your doctor tell you, that if you take this med, there is a risk of it reacting with your MS and turn into seizures? I was horrified and declined the prescription and thanked her.

I worked for a pharmeceutical, and those sales reps go into doctors offices and push their meds, telling the doctors, they are good for this, and work wonders for that....so the doctor prescribes the med to their patients...(now not all doctors are like that) some do, do their homework and research drugs...but, sorry, I'm going to research anything I put in my body from now on....and maybe some day I won't have a choice, but for now, I do....and if I can spark up some awareness to do so, then that's not a bad thing.

Old 09-16-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
CBD oil for dogs is not a thing. For best results, you have to give the full spectrum plant, which includes a small amount of THC - I get mine from the dispensary - it is recommended for dogs too, per the budtenders - I keep the dosage small. There is no intoxication, but a little relaxation.
Well, thank you for that....

I've heard that people do give their dogs CBD oils and have looked for it online and they call it CBD oil for dogs, perhaps they do that to lesson the worry for dog owners, I believe it goes by weight? Not sure? But I know a lot of people use it for Thunder Storms and 4th of July celebrations. Works for some, not for others.

Old 09-16-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I never had a bad reaction to the drug.
Thank you

I've already sent some information to my friend, but told her, you do you, I'm just pointing these things out for you....it is wise to monitor yourself while taking it and writing things down, especially if you see drastic changes as with any drug.

Old 09-16-2023, 02:09 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times
Quote:
I am very sorry you had this bad reaction to it...

They told me, 0ver 30 years ago, I had MS, I'm not so sure now, but that's another story. I went to the doctors for something or other, and went to the pharmacy to fill the perscription I got. The pharmacist came out sat down beside me and said, "I see your on this other medication, did your doctor tell you, that if you take this med, there is a risk of it reacting with your MS and turn into seizures? I was horrified and declined the prescription and thanked her.

I worked for a pharmeceutical, and those sales reps go into doctors offices and push their meds, telling the doctors, they are good for this, and work wonders for that....so the doctor prescribes the med to their patients...(now not all doctors are like that) some do, do their homework and research drugs...but, sorry, I'm going to research anything I put in my body from now on....and maybe some day I won't have a choice, but for now, I do....and if I can spark up some awareness to do so, then that's not a bad thing.
Geez, so many have issues with drugs. I'm sorry to hear of your journey with drug reactions, CB but sadly, I've heard similar tales very often.

With the Gabapentin, I guess the scariest part is I don't remember any of the outbursts I had, except the one in the street. None of them. Afterwards, I was told my behavior & anger were out of control & odd every single day. Had it not been for my mum living underneath me & finally speaking out, I might not have known I needed to be off of it & continued. Who knows what could have happened. The 2nd worst part is the doctors didn't believe me & said acne & rage aren't 2 side effects of the drug. Seriously, go *^%$ yourselves, drs. Both cleared up within weeks of stopping it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness