Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 11:40 AM

595 posts, read 265,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
CBD oil for dogs is not a thing. For best results, you have to give the full spectrum plant, which includes a small amount of THC - I get mine from the dispensary - it is recommended for dogs too, per the budtenders - I keep the dosage small. There is no intoxication, but a little relaxation.
CBD is not a good thing in general. It is not regulated, the doses of active ingredient are not consistent from brand to brand or even within brands, and the FDA has found all kinds of contaminants in it. Sorry folks, but some things I WANT the government involved in, and that is knowing what is in stuff, forcing manufacturers to provide evidence through clinical trials that something is both safe for the vast majority of people and actually works for its intended purpose, and making manufacturers prove that their manufacturing processes and facilities are clean, sterile if need be, and appropriate. None of that applies to CBD or any other cannabinoids or cannabis-derived substances except for one FDA-approved epilepsy drug, Epidiolex (cannabidiol), so hard pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 05:10 PM

28,901 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post
I had to take it for nerve pain, sciatica, and loss of function in my left leg stemming from bulging and slipped discs in my back, just last spring and early summer. The thing with gabapentin is that if you are taking more than about 900 mg per day, when you want to come off it, you need to come off it slowly, with a taper. In my case it went like this:

300 mg 3x a day

300 mg 2x a day for four days

300 mg 1x a day for three days.

Quitting cold turkey raises the risk of side effects, withdrawal, and even seizures.

Physically, I didn't mind being on it as far as it felt. Along with meloxicam it brought my pain down from a 7 to about a 3: there and annoying, but not debilitating. Mentally it made me a little spacey, which was fine for sitting around watching TV, coloring mandalas with glitter gel pens, chilling on the balcony watching birds, gentle walking, and other activities that don't require a whole lot of mental effort.

But working while taking it was a problem. I have to read a lot of complicated medical research and "translate" it into plain English, and it was VERY difficult for me to focus. Sometimes the words I was reading would "swim" on the page and I would write the same sentence, backspace over it because I didn't like it (as writers do), then write the same sentence over again (as writers sometimes do when second-guessing themselves), but I would do it four or five times or more because I would forget what I had just backspaced over and needed to see it again to know I didn't want it (if that makes any sense at all). Plus, even with the meloxicam and a muscle relaxant (Flexeril) to keep my back from locking up, the pain relief was not enough to enable me to start the physical therapy I needed. No way could I drive on it, that's for sure.

Between the mental haze and not being able to do physical therapy, it wasn't enough for me to really thrive, so my pain doctor and I decided to try an epidural steroid injection in May. I only had that one shot and haven't needed another shot or any gabapentin since then, as the sciatica and nerve pain is gone. Now I just have to manage spinal stenosis, arthritis, and degenerating disc disease all the usual ways. If my back starts to feel like it's threatening to "go out" again, I take a meloxicam and go easy for a day or two (nothing high impact) so things don't get too inflamed in there and cause big problems, but that's it.

Not for nothing, but it works in pets, too. Mine had an inoperable tumor inside that sat on a nerve in his hip and gave him pain like we get sciatica. He, took meloxicam for arthritis, too. Along with tramadol, the gabapentin and meloxicam gave him a decent quality of life for five years before our goodbye, so I'm grateful twice over that someone invented them.

Maybe you feel you don't need to know, but keeping perspective and not creating fear in the general public through selective bias are good things, so I shared anyway.
first off, thank you for your post.....

the only reason I posted this is to solicit reveiws from people who had BAD reactions not to create fear, but as I explained, my friend is immune deficient and has had some very bad health problems, so I wanted to find out about bad reactions, adverse reactions that people have experienced, especially since there has been a whole lot of bad reports out there about this drug.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer....but feel we blindly take meds b/c our doctors give us the prescriptions and we trust them to know but a lot of times they don't do their homework, not all but a lot of doctors, so when the sales reps come in from their pharm companies, the sales reps school doctors on what their drug is used for and approved for. But lately doctors have been giving out this medication like candy, and using it off label, for pain.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:59 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
first off, thank you for your post.....

the only reason I posted this is to solicit reveiws from people who had BAD reactions not to create fear, but as I explained, my friend is immune deficient and has had some very bad health problems, so I wanted to find out about bad reactions, adverse reactions that people have experienced, especially since there has been a whole lot of bad reports out there about this drug.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer....but feel we blindly take meds b/c our doctors give us the prescriptions and we trust them to know but a lot of times they don't do their homework, not all but a lot of doctors, so when the sales reps come in from their pharm companies, the sales reps school doctors on what their drug is used for and approved for. But lately doctors have been giving out this medication like candy, and using it off label, for pain.
I think the key for your friend, if she decides to take it it, is to understand that for some people it works extremely well, like it does for my mother, and for others it does nothing or has unacceptable side effects. If it doesn't work, then stop taking it as soon as possible commensurate with any tapering that's required.

Old 09-23-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I think the key for your friend, if she decides to take it it, is to understand that for some people it works extremely well, like it does for my mother, and for others it does nothing or has unacceptable side effects. If it doesn't work, then stop taking it as soon as possible commensurate with any tapering that's required.
Ohhhhh my, I believe she knows that, we both worked for pharmaceuticals....she wanted to know what the adverse reactions were....before she started taking them. Which is why I asked for only the adverse reactions that were known. Since posting this, I found out so much more...I took it, and it didn't help, which was 2 years ago, and I quit b/c of hearing the adverse side effects. as I said before, doctors are giving it out like candy, for off label illnesses....if it doesn't work, they up the strength, and keep doing so until it does work, which is so wrong...and they are also finding out some long term adverse effects. So while it may work extremely well now, long term might prove some very unwanted effects one being alzheimer's.....Dementia

remember, medications consist of some pretty nasty chemicals....which will effect us all differently depending on our bodies, our age, our past medical history, etc....I'm not fond of using medications, vs natural alternatives first....I know some people have no choice, so one must decide for themselves....

but thanks for your input.

Old 09-23-2023, 10:50 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapiron65 View Post
Same for me. Absolutely nothing completely rids my pain. I get a few hours of relief but, not complete relief. Even Dilaudid doesn't help much. It's been like this my entire life. I can't even get addicted to drugs.
Dr gave me a predisone shot, same thing, no pain relief.

Old 10-04-2023, 03:14 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,107,489 times
Gabapentine was prescribed to me for osteoarthritis, degenerative discs and knee pain (need replacements). The prescription was to take 3 a day, but I wasn’t able to function at work. It was a struggle to stay awake. I tried one in the evening before bed. But with that and the other meds I was taking, I felt like a zombie, so I warned myself off all but the diclofenac.

So, the Gabapentine made me sleepy and didn’t seem to help with the pain. I didn’t take it longer than a couple months.

Still in a world of pain . . .

Old 10-04-2023, 08:31 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Gabapentine was prescribed to me for osteoarthritis, degenerative discs and knee pain (need replacements). The prescription was to take 3 a day, but I wasn’t able to function at work. It was a struggle to stay awake. I tried one in the evening before bed. But with that and the other meds I was taking, I felt like a zombie, so I warned myself off all but the diclofenac.

So, the Gabapentine made me sleepy and didn’t seem to help with the pain. I didn’t take it longer than a couple months.

Still in a world of pain . . .
Does the diclofenac cream help you? It helped me at first, but not much now. I am using the 3%.

Old 10-05-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
TeaByrd

Maybe you feel you don't need to know, but keeping perspective and not creating fear in the general public through selective bias are good things, so I shared anyway.
personally we should all be cautious, not fearful, but cautious and knowledgeable when taking perscription drugs.....I'm not trying to create fear, but what I was doing was asking for bad experience with the drug as it is being prescribed off label for other ailments and yes, it can become addictive....

I had two knee replacements at the same time...my choice, and at the time, which was years ago, they had me on 2 pain killers....

when I got home I made a check list, b/c I didn't want to take more then needed or forget what I had taken so everytime I took a pill, I checked it off for that particular time of day....why? Because I didn't want to accidently get hooked on anything....and I weaned myself off the drugs, didn't take them for the recommended time...instead I used ice and did my exercises....

I've always feared drugs, and been more cautious then most...never liked them and always said, someday I may need them but for now, I'm going to try my best to stay away from them....especially after reading the PI's that come with each and every drug....

Gabapentin is used to treat epilepsy and can be a very very strong drug....the side effects later in life can have negative results...everyone should be more cautious when they take any drug...it's a drug...period...and just b/c some doctor says it's ok, you need to do the research and decide for yourself. Which is what I'm doing.

It's also taken for nerve pain, which can be caused by different conditions, including diabetes and shingles. Nerve pain can also happen after an injury. In epilepsy, it's thought that gabapentin stops seizures by reducing the abnormal electrical activity in the brain.

I have nerve pain in my feet, sometimes it feels like bee stings, other times it just hurts, but I'm stubborn and won't take anything as of yet...might need to down the road.

I have degenerative discs, spinal stenosis and other problems, in my lower back, and am now looking at my 3rd back fusion...and I have arthritis...I forget what the name of it is....doctor prescribed gabapentin 2 years ago, for the nerve pain and it didn't do a darn thing...so I stopped taking it....

It's the new medication for pain...and I just wanted to be able to warn my girlfriend, in the end I told her, you do you, whatever you decide is your choice...and she thanked me for the research so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness