Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 04:25 PM

760 posts, read 627,695 times

Advertisements

I had both shots last year. Had a sore arm for a few days with both shots, but I have a sore arm after any vaccine. The soreness with the Shingrix was any different, not worse or anything. I felt no other effects from the first shot. After the second one I felt mildly warm, a little face flushing, before bedtime. It was gone in the morning, I felt fine. Really it was pretty much nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2024, 08:39 PM

23,922 posts, read 33,766,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm going to get up my nerve to finally get this is July.

Those of you who have had it...what were your experiences? Good or bad?

There is one fairly large thread which may be in this section or retirement where I posted when I got my first dose. My doctor said do not get the 2nd dose because the first started closing my throat. I then had bad body aches. I had a feeling I'd be allergic to it, thankfully I went prepared with Benadryl.

I really went back and forth about getting it. I just knew I'd have an allergic reaction. I had shingles at around age 51 on the front part of my head (over eyebrow, plus about a quarter of my head top), forehead going down to my eye. It was just about in my eye, it stopped at the eye lash. The pain felt like an ice pick stabbing me in the eye and head. I did not want it a second time.

I had tried to get the vaccine three times to be told they didn't have it or the person who does them wasn't in. I just hope that having shingles plus one vaccine is enough to stop it from coming back a second time.

The eye doctor I saw said that I was very lucky that the shingles virus stopped where it did on my eyelash, that he did not see any in my eye.

Below are the two biggest Shingles vaccine threads, both in the retirement section. There are also a few in this section that are not as large. Since you're nervous about it, they are worth reading/scanning them to see how people reacted when they got it.

Some have no issues with either shot while some may have flu like symptoms with one or the second, some like me had other issues/side effects.

Did you have a shingles vaccine reaction?

Question for those that got the Shingrix vaccine?

Old 05-22-2024, 10:04 PM

5,751 posts, read 4,363,370 times
I posted in one or more of the earlier threads. I only got the first shot but not the 2nd because I'm a crybaby and didn't like feeling icky. I've never had any reaction whatsoever to any other vaccine, but what I experienced was neither severe or out of the ordinary (except for me) so you shouldn't worry about it.

Old 05-23-2024, 07:46 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,231,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medical lab guy View Post
i was vaccinated and noneventful.
+1

Old 05-23-2024, 10:21 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,144,859 times
Painful at the injection site for about a week. Like I had a hard golfball-sized knot in my muscle. Other than that, no side effects.

I have had shingles twice. And it's what I would consider a "mild" case. After having even a mild case of shingles, any fear of getting the vaxx was washed away. I hope to never again have shingles. I would much rather have flu-like symptoms for a week than ever getting shingles again.

Old 05-23-2024, 10:53 AM

51,298 posts, read 36,950,029 times
My first injection was painful as heck. I think I had a pharmacist who didn't know what she was doing (supermarket pharmacy, as when I got it, it was kind of hard to come by and no doctor's office had it). It felt like she injected it into the bone on the top of my shoulder, and it took forever. My arm was very, very painful for several nights to the point I had trouble sleeping, then gradually better.

The reason I say I think the pharmacist didn't know what she was doing, is because when I went back for the second shot, it was a different pharmacist, and when I told him my experience he said to another behind the counter "I bet it was ____", then asked me if she had an accent, which she did (not sure where from, sounded maybe Dutch or Swiss or something). They told me they had a lot of problems with her and that she no longer worked there.

The second one was a piece of cake.

Any temporary pain is well worth it though. I work in skilled nursing facilities and we have a few residents who have chronic, debilitating pain from Shingles they had years ago. One whose eye is permanently red and raw and bloody looking, another who had it on his head and ear and gets horrible headaches now that nothing helps.

Old 05-23-2024, 11:10 AM

2,273 posts, read 4,142,120 times
I had no problems with the shots, not even a twinge. My DH had pain, fever and was tired, but it only lasted for a day after the shot.

Old 05-23-2024, 11:39 AM

2,120 posts, read 3,034,531 times
Sore arm, nothing else.

Old 05-23-2024, 12:21 PM

2,928 posts, read 2,183,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm going to get up my nerve to finally get this is July.

Those of you who have had it...what were your experiences? Good or bad?
uneventful

Old 05-23-2024, 01:20 PM

5,470 posts, read 4,109,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
I was vaccinated and noneventful.
Ditto. I couldn't wait to get the first vax and then the second 2-shot vax. I have known so many people who suffered from shingles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness