Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 08:35 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times

Advertisements

This was on the CBS evening news last night..

The number of serious problems and deaths linked to medications reported to the government set a record in the first three months of this year, a health industry watchdog group said Wednesday.

The Food and Drug Administration received nearly 21,000 reports of serious drug reactions, including over 4,800 deaths, said an analysis of federal data by the nonprofit Institute for Safe Medication Practices, which scrutinized data going back to 2004, and yearly totals dating to the 1990s.

Two drugs accounted for a disproportionately large share of the latest reports. One was heparin, the tainted blood thinner from China that caused an international safety scandal. The other was Chantix, a new kind of anti-smoking drug from Pfizer.

See the whole article here before it is pulled.

Report: Drug Deaths, Problems Set Record, More Than 4,800 Deaths, 21,000 Adverse Drug Reactions Recorded In Early 2008, Group Claims - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
And it will probably continue to grow because of all the new drugs being given to patients!! Now they have a drug for everything!???!! And China, well, they have definately proven how well they can be trusted with their products!!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:58 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
and we have NO idea how many of our drugs are made over there. I question WHY we are even importing from them with their record. If it was a company in the USA, with that record, they would have been shut down a long time ago.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:03 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
I think part of the problem is the fact that doctor's don't engage in healthcare, but in sickcare. They run all sorts of tests, decide they have no idea what is wrong with you and give you umpteen million drugs to treat your symptoms. They don't care if the drugs interact or not. Then they will leave notes in your medical record that will cover their behind. They will notate that they talked to you about this or that, when they really didn't. I'm beginning to think that I should take a tape recorder with me to every appt, so that if my doctor messes up real bad I have proof positive, instead of their word against mine.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:34 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Scary isn't it?!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness