Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 04:54 PM

7,079 posts, read 38,002,588 times

Advertisements

This is kind of off the topic of the thread, however...

For vancomycin (trade name Vancocin - but it's off patent now), there are some patients who have a histamine release reaction, called 'red man syndrome,' in which there is extreme flushing and some itching, all caused by release of histamine which is triggered by the drug. It's not that common, but we see it.

It used to be said that vancomycin caused both hearing and kidney problems. That was in the day when a vial of vancomycin was the color of Mississippi mud. Now, with highly purified (white) powder being supplied, and with correct dosing, these, particularly the hearing changes, aren't seen very often. DOSED CORRECTLY and with trough concentrations appropriately measured there is only a small risk of renal insufficiency.

For linezolid (trade name Zyvox) there is a low risk of something called 'serotonin syndrome,' evidenced by hypotension, flushing and sweating. With use longer than recommended on the label (14 days) there is a risk of anemia/thrombocytopenia (low platelets) and/or leukopenia (low white blood cell counts). Also with longer term use, there is a risk of neuropathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 04:59 PM

33,039 posts, read 36,638,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
....well MADAM

I love your posts....I feel as if I should take notes.

Whats the danger of vancomycin or linezolid?
Linezolid : A synthetic oxazolidinone antimicrobial for treatment of serious gram-positive infections. (01-JUN-00) Formulary (http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-31025413_ITM - broken link)

Read the second paragraph.

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on City-Data.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:32 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,727,416 times
To me, your babysitter sounds like a goofball. You are the parent; why is she so insistent? It's almost as though she feels guilty. Bleach is not to be used on skin as a disinfectant, it could cause harm to your child's skin.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:55 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,486,987 times
Dear O.P.,

If it is an infection, you want to make sure it doesn't get into the blood. So look for a red line moving up from the wound. If you see a red line, get to the doctor a.s.a.p.

Also, you want to make sure it's not cat scratch fever. I've had this before. It was a cat scratch on my hand that never really healed up. I was tired and didn't feel well. And then eventually some of my lymph nodes further up my arm became very sore. I had to go on antibiotics.

So keep an eye on the wound. You can put some hot salt water on it to draw out the swelling. Salt also kills germs and gets absorbed into the cut. But if the area around it gets very red and hot and you noticed a red line or if lymph nodes start to swell, you want to go to the doctor.

Also, see how your son is feeling. When I had a staph infection, I felt like I'd been run over by a truck. I also had to clean everything in the house with alcohol to keep the infection from spreading, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness