Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 04:48 PM

275 posts, read 687,040 times

Advertisements

i copied and pasted the article below, you can read the rest of it on the link underneath it. in my part i would say it has taken me 7 years to figure out 'how to toned up'. i have been working out since 14 but i never liked the fact of being big at 15years of age then i start working out harder by doing light weights with more reps, and without jogging.But that didn't help either i only got bigger, and i hardly had a six pack even though i spent alot time doing sit ups and crunches and leg rises. My tummy only got bigger with a slight bulge of muscle showing, but now since i have followed a routine to understand that toning up is simple as just understanding a principle. that is having less fat under your skin that covers your muscle. Now how annoyingly simple is that.

[SIZE=-1]'Have you ever heard or maybe even said the words "toned" and "defined?" If you are into working out and diet related stuff, chances are you have. The funny thing is, not only do most people not know how to get more "toned and defined," but most people don't even know what those 2 words mean! I personally HATE both of those words. Can't stand when I read them, and I can't stand when someone actually says them out loud. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Being toned or being defined means only one thing. It is when you have muscle, and when you have a low enough body fat percentage so that this muscle can be seen. So, the less fat you have covering your muscles, the more "tone" and "definition" you will appear to have. Sounds simple, right? Well, apparently it's not simple. People still can't figure out how to get more toned and defined. One of my favorite bull**** gym phrases is "I work out with lighter weights and do higher reps so I can get more toned." News flash buddy, working out with lighter weight for more reps is doing nothing for you in terms of getting more "toned and defined." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Working out with heavy weights for less reps will have the exact same effect when it comes to "tone and definition." It does NOT "tone and define" you! Working out with weights, whether they are light or heavy, low reps or high reps, does one thing and one thing only, it builds and strengthens muscle. But, didn't we just figure out that to be more toned and defined you just had to lose more fat? YES we did! Therefore, when it comes to looking more toned and defined, weightlifting has very little to do with it!'[/SIZE]

tone and definition - How to really get toned and defined

Old 02-02-2009, 09:57 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,203 times
This is common sense but unfortunately most ppl will do anything to avoid giving up their fav food.
I never got ripped doing weights alone. Race is also an important issue since African American men have much better genetics for being ripped and putting on muscle. Your average white dude can't get away with eating crap. For your average white dude over 25 you gotta be dieting and doing cardio otherwise your gonna just be spinning your wheels.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:45 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
This is common sense but unfortunately most ppl will do anything to avoid giving up their fav food.
I never got ripped doing weights alone. Race is also an important issue since African American men have much better genetics for being ripped and putting on muscle. Your average white dude can't get away with eating crap. For your average white dude over 25 you gotta be dieting and doing cardio otherwise your gonna just be spinning your wheels.
CCH......not all of us caucasians are endo or mesomorphs as i am a ectomorph and could eat 5,000 calories a day and not gain weight. Only because i started lifting weights at 21 am i over 200 lbs at 6'3'' as i struggle at that.

Jackdonekings.....there is a differece in lifting light or lifting heavy weights as for size and tone as we have 2 types of muscle fibers (Fast and slow twitch) which show differently in our physique as ''fast'' is mainly for power and strength and ''slow'' is mainly for endurance and longevity depending on how the amount of weight x repetitions to failure as to which or both is incorporated.

Example....look at powerlifters who max at 4 reps as they are usually either bulky and not cut up like a bodybuilder or they can be skinny as look at the olympic 130 lb class powerlifters of russians or bulgarians as they are skinny yet super strong as a couple of examples.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
CCH......not all of us caucasians are endo or mesomorphs as i am a ectomorph and could eat 5,000 calories a day and not gain weight. Only because i started lifting weights at 21 am i over 200 lbs at 6'3'' as i struggle at that.

Jackdonekings.....there is a differece in lifting light or lifting heavy weights as for size and tone as we have 2 types of muscle fibers (Fast and slow twitch) which show differently in our physique as ''fast'' is mainly for power and strength and ''slow'' is mainly for endurance and longevity depending on how the amount of weight x repetitions to failure as to which or both is incorporated.

Example....look at powerlifters who max at 4 reps as they are usually either bulky and not cut up like a bodybuilder or they can be skinny as look at the olympic 130 lb class powerlifters of russians or bulgarians as they are skinny yet super strong as a couple of examples.
I did not mean to make such a general statement but your average african american male can eat dreadfully and still be cut. If I ate what some of my african american friends ate I would be a fat a**. This coming from a guy has always been thin.

I have a friend who is 6'3 too and is on the thin side. He eats like a ****!!

Old 02-03-2009, 11:52 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I did not mean to make such a general statement but your average african american male can eat dreadfully and still be cut. If I ate what some of my african american friends ate I would be a fat a**. This coming from a guy has always been thin.

I have a friend who is 6'3 too and is on the thin side. He eats like a ****!!
Yeap i can eat and eat and not gain a pound and yet high carbs give me blood sugar problems with no fat on me at all. Seems like i really do well on the paleo diet or ''ancient diet'' as no grains or legumes and only fatty meat and vege's make me feel best.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:17 PM

275 posts, read 687,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Yeap i can eat and eat and not gain a pound and yet high carbs give me blood sugar problems with no fat on me at all. Seems like i really do well on the paleo diet or ''ancient diet'' as no grains or legumes and only fatty meat and vege's make me feel best.
interesting on the other hand i eat quite a lot and i always have to stick to the healthy diets which means i had to cut down meat, use meat substitutes and eating seafood which is high in protein and low in saturated fat. not to forget i exercise on a daily basis, which makes me look lean and built, all my clothes fit perfect in small sizes

i think it's down to person not ethnicity, my white friend eats a lot of meats and drink alcohol on a daily basis and he hardly exercise yet he still does not gain weight, he's thin. i also think high metabolism has also to do with diets, such as drinking water on most times you feel like u have a dry tummy or throat, which some people mistaken it for hunger, and they would eat alot of fatty snacks and exercise and still the results aren't that impressive.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonekings View Post
interesting on the other hand i eat quite a lot and i always have to stick to the healthy diets which means i had to cut down meat, use meat substitutes and eating seafood which is high in protein and low in saturated fat. not to forget i exercise on a daily basis, which makes me look lean and built, all my clothes fit perfect in small sizes

i think it's down to person not ethnicity, my white friend eats a lot of meats and drink alcohol on a daily basis and he hardly exercise yet he still does not gain weight, he's thin. i also think high metabolism has also to do with diets, such as drinking water on most times you feel like u have a dry tummy or throat, which some people mistaken it for hunger, and they would eat alot of fatty snacks and exercise and still the results aren't that impressive.
Meat is part of a healthy diet IMO. Whats not healthy is what happens to the animals before the meat gets to your table. Many live horrible tortured lives instead of being treated humanaly. Thats why the meat is tainted but in its most basic form meat is very healthy.

On average, average being the key word, african americans are better toned than white guys. Thats why they excel in most athletic sports a lot more than their white counterparts. Boxing, NBA, NFL all have predominantly black athletes.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:04 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,304,674 times
I heard using a colon cleanser once a year helps.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:35 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
Your colon is self-cleaning--unless you have some medical problem, no help is needed!

And, I think darker skin simply shows any "muscle toning" better than pale skin--that's why body builders tan!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:42 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,304,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Your colon is self-cleaning--unless you have some medical problem, no help is needed!

And, I think darker skin simply shows any "muscle toning" better than pale skin--that's why body builders tan!
Your wrong!
Everyone should get a colon cleanser once a year.
You will shed 5lbs within 5 days and clear all
the tar from your colon walls to make room for
a faster elimination of waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness