Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 01:04 PM

446 posts, read 1,394,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
And? You make a 60 foot fence, someone will make a 61 foot ladder. You put a barrier in the ground 10 feet deep, someone will dig a tunnel 11 feet deep.

And when they come up from the hole, a border agent can pop them for trespassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 01:04 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BZee2Pee View Post
As you wish............where in Raleigh can I get N95 Respirator masks to fit myself, my wife, and my child?
You can buy one at an autobody shop. I highly reccomend the M3 P-100 particulate mask. It will filtrate anything down to .000001 millionth of a particle, smaller then most viruses. Costs about $30 per set, comes with two pancake filters.

for those of you still living in denial, more dead people turning up in Mexico, up to a dozen more. Many rural people also suspected of dying from this.

And, we have confirmed cases in Canada now.

will this be the big one? Anyone's guess at this point, but it has all the elements in place now to be a big one.

And please people..........KEEP THIS THREAD LOCAL! It needs to stand so we can update each other as news comes in.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
As fast as its spreading in mexico I think two weeks may niot be enough. Besides what if you handle something that a infected person has sneezed on. As pointed out by reports the question is more why so many deaths in mexico and only one of the first eight cases in US had to be hospitlized and none acutually treated with tamiflu or the other drug. Alot of questions still unknown IMO.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:39 PM

519 posts, read 981,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis View Post
And when they come up from the hole, a border agent can pop them for trespassing.
Yes, because there are enough border agents to watch every mile of border. If that were the case, why do we have so many illegal immigrants?

Old 04-26-2009, 01:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
The students in Queens didn't even need hospitalized.

Who knows why it's more severe in Mexico, maybe it's something as simple as diet.

Or maybe it's climate. The symptoms are less severe the farther north. Maybe people are dehydrating faster in Mexico.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:41 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Update:
U.S. declares swine flu public health emergency - Infectious diseases- msnbc.com

CDC reports that Tamiflu and Relenza appear to be effective. Roche (maker of Tamiflu) has an adequate supply stockpiled if the drug is requested. "Both drugs must be taken early, within a few days of the onset of symptoms, to be most effective."
Mexico flu deaths raise fears of global epidemic - Infectious diseases- msnbc.com

4 cases confirmed in Canada. Other nations, including New Zealand and France, report suspected cases. Some nations are issuing travel warnings to Mexico and the U.S. "Tokyo's Narita airport installed a device to test the temperatures of passengers arriving from Mexico."
Four swine flu cases confirmed in Canada - Infectious diseases- msnbc.com

Old 04-26-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Could you cite your intel on "inadequate healthcare" as it pertains to this virus and mortality and what exactly does "get a quick hold of" mean?
My intel on "inadequate healthcare" is the fact that Mexico is a Third World Country, air pollution is much worse, and nutrition is not as healthy.

What I meant by "get a quick hold of" is that I really think that the CDC is getting as fast as possible in front of the swine flu. As someone else mentioned on here (I think it was ilovebrentwood), this is all about preparation. The CDC and the media have put the word out on the symptoms, what to look out for, and commonalities between all the pople who have been afflicted by the wine flu.

Frankly, I know to make sure to not come into contact with any person who recently travelled to Mexico. I also know not to travel to Mexico, but that seems to soon be off limits anyways.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
You can buy one at an autobody shop. I highly reccomend the M3 P-100 particulate mask. It will filtrate anything down to .000001 millionth of a particle, smaller then most viruses. Costs about $30 per set, comes with two pancake filters.

for those of you still living in denial, more dead people turning up in Mexico, up to a dozen more. Many rural people also suspected of dying from this.

And, we have confirmed cases in Canada now.

will this be the big one? Anyone's guess at this point, but it has all the elements in place now to be a big one.

And please people..........KEEP THIS THREAD LOCAL! It needs to stand so we can update each other as news comes in.
I think it is not possible to "keep it local" until someone is unfortunately infected in North Carolina. Until then, this thread definitely belongs in the National forum.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
As you wish............where in Raleigh can I get N95 Respirator masks to fit myself, my wife, and my child?
Yes, because there is no reason to cause mass hysteria.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:13 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,666,672 times
Exclamation Pandemic Flu Preparedness and Information *Please read Mod note BEFORE posting!*

Moderator note: The title of this thread is Pandemic Flu Preparedness and Information Please post ONLY information you can verify via a source, or suggestions for basic safety. It is NOT a thread for debating/conspiracy theories or wild conjecture. I have unlocked another thread (and moved posts) for that purpose. Any posts that do not belong here will be moved or deleted. Relevant links may be added to the original post from time to time.

Thank-you.

Mods, can we make this a sticky as the Swine Flu outbreak is now considered a nationwide public health emergency? Or perhaps an announcement throughout all subforums? It is important this information is passed along by any means possible. This public health emergency is serious and precautions should be considered.

This is NC's PanFlu preparedness plan for you and your family. While the current public health emergency may not prove to be catastrophic, it is wise to prepare for the eventual pandemic or any natural or man-made disaster. Please take the necessary precautions to ensure you and your family are prepared for the unexpected.

North Carolina Pandemic Flu Preparedness: Pandemic Flu and You (http://www.ncpanflu.gov/panFluAndYou.htm - broken link)

Additional for preparedness and readiness:

Individuals & Families Planning (http://www.pandemicflu.gov/plan/tab3.html - broken link)

PandemicFlu.gov

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Fact Sheet: Good Health Habits for Preventing Seasonal Flu

Official Swine Flu Investigation:
CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)

Mod note: Updated links provided by carolina_guy:

Recombinomics Commentary

Interim Guidelines for Pregnant Women:

Quote:
"It is reasonable to assume that pregnant women are also at higher risk for swine influenza complications"
Interim Guidance for Swine influenza A (H1N1): Taking Care of a Sick Person in Your Home

Interim Guidance on Antiviral Recommendations for Patients with Confirmed or Suspected Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection and Close Contacts

Interim CDC Guidance for Nonpharmaceutical Community Mitigation in Response to Human Infections with Swine Influenza (H1N1) Virus

Interim Recommendations for Facemask and Respirator Use in Certain Community Settings Where Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Transmission Has Been Detected

April 29, 2009, 7:15 PM ET

Swine Flu: Information for Concerned Parents and Caregivers

Swine Influenza in Pigs and People Brochure

Posted by ahnraleigh:

State Pandemic Plans

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 04-30-2009 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: Adding information...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness