Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 03:22 PM

83 posts, read 296,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by painfulblueeyes View Post
have not been here in a while, well i am getting a little better i am still on 2 crutches trying to learn to walk with my afo but i can now drive yeah so that is cool. and i did the stair master at pt the other day so thats cool... i some times can do 1 crutch but with pain. dr is hoping my ankle will fuse itself if my bones will ever heal, it has been 11 months can't wait to be back to as close to normal as i can any heelp on walking with afo would help

Atleast you are driving - Thats a good start, Gets you about more. Im guessing you have an automatic? As i wasnt allowed to drive untill i was FWB.

I do wish you a slightly more speedy recovery as to what youve had so far.

Im still FWB, my ankle i hurt last week is feeling a little bit better but still feels very weak, does that happen with a sprain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 04:39 PM

51 posts, read 230,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyBroken View Post
Atleast you are driving - Thats a good start, Gets you about more. Im guessing you have an automatic? As i wasnt allowed to drive untill i was FWB.

I do wish you a slightly more speedy recovery as to what youve had so far.

Im still FWB, my ankle i hurt last week is feeling a little bit better but still feels very weak, does that happen with a sprain?
I've been twisting and spraining my ankles since I was 8 years old (the reason I broke my leg this time around) and my left ankle - the one I sprained 7 weeks ago when I fell - is still sore and has only started feeling stronger this last 2 weeks. Granted my ankles are a bit weaker after years of twisting and spraining them but they do feel weak for a while after so I would think what you're experiencing is pretty normal. Diana

Old 11-09-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboytrez View Post
diana, i hope ur doc will let u put on a lil weight as well. it feels so great dat at least u noe dat it will be not far from recovery. im now using only 1 crutch on short distance walkin. so when will u be seeing ur doc again? cant wait to hear ur good news..
bboytrez,
Next OS appt is day after tomorrow (11/11). I'm hopeful. PT said he would send a second report on progress we've made with NWB exercise. We shall see. But I'm trying not to get too hopeful so I don't end up depressed after the appt should he say NWB still. I'll update after the appt this week.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankletwister View Post
I've been twisting and spraining my ankles since I was 8 years old (the reason I broke my leg this time around) and my left ankle - the one I sprained 7 weeks ago when I fell - is still sore and has only started feeling stronger this last 2 weeks. Granted my ankles are a bit weaker after years of twisting and spraining them but they do feel weak for a while after so I would think what you're experiencing is pretty normal. Diana
Thanks Diana, I was hoping you might have some advice or information for it! My ankle went very swollen and bluey purple line of bruise came out underneath it. When i was going downstairs it hurt alot and felt like id torn the muscle at the back of my leg aswell but it seems a little better now. Its only been a week i assumed it would take aboout a month to heal a bit better.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyBroken View Post
Thanks Diana, I was hoping you might have some advice or information for it! My ankle went very swollen and bluey purple line of bruise came out underneath it. When i was going downstairs it hurt alot and felt like id torn the muscle at the back of my leg aswell but it seems a little better now. Its only been a week i assumed it would take aboout a month to heal a bit better.
NewlyBroken,

Sounds like a textbook sprain to me. I've heard the "soft tissue damage is so much more painful than a bone break" more times than I ever wanted to. Hang in there. Sounds like it's already mending itself. May not take as long as a month but at least a few weeks - longer, yes, if you aren't fully weight bearing on your other leg and have to take a larger proportion of your weight on your sprain though. I couldn't use the walker they gave me at the hospital when I got home because my sprained left ankle couldn't take the weight when I had to hop because I couldn't use my broken leg but even using a wheelchair it's taken longer because when I have to transfer from the chair or stand up all my weight goes to that foot. Good luck - sounds like you are well on the way to getting that sprain healed up though.
Diana

Old 11-11-2009, 07:14 AM

Thank you very much Diana!! Youre a star

Old 11-12-2009, 07:12 AM

189 posts, read 795,367 times
Hi Everyone,
I went to my OS Tues a.m. to have my leg/ankle checked out, I am just about 10months post injury, everything looks good, Thank God! I was concerned about a lump/bump that is near the plate on my fib, thought it might be a screw loose or something. Turns out it is extra bone growth from where tib/fib was broken that has grown and is sort of welding the tib and fib together in one spot. It is high enough that it will not interfere w/ROM. It is a little tender, but that should go away. My OS said this sometimes occurs and should not cause any problems, but I will keep an eye on it. She said my leg/ankle looks great and my bone healing is great. So this is wonderful news! I just feel relieved that everything is ok and I can keep pushing forward without worrying about HW failure. My ROM is very good, but I am still pressing to get more. I still have some tightness and stiffness, but overall still improving.

So to those of you out there just beginning this journey, please know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. It has been a very long physical and emotional journey for me with many highs and lows. I got so much info. and support from this site, so use it to help get through this and know you are not alone.

Best wishes to you all for a full and speedy recovery of mind , body , and soul.

God Bless,
Nanny

Old 11-12-2009, 07:57 AM

Thumbs up Update - OS Visit Yesterday

X-ray showed bone growth and healing - I asked to see the x-rays yesterday (yes I was a chicken and couldn't bear to look at the x-rays right after it happened - still haven't seen the before pictures but am ready to look now) and saw that the fibula was broken in 2 places (top near my knee and bottom near my ankle - both healing well). There is one piece of bone that popped out from the tibia for some reason and isn't in line with the rest but the OS and PA told me that it was showing healing as well and if it does cause me any trouble (which they don't think it will) they could go back in and "lasso" it to pull it back (I'm hoping we don't have to do that). The rest of the stitches came out of my leg (and it feels soooo much better - I think the stitches may have been pinching a nerve or pulling on one of the muscles as the pain I was feeling in my ankle, that I thought might be from the pin, immediately went away when the stitches came out). And - best of all - I got clearance to start weight bearing. Not as tolerated but (using the walker or crutches) toe tip (whatever that means) for 2 weeks, as tolerated for 2 weeks, FWB for 2 weeks while weaning off the walker/crutches. So the OS thinks I will be walking again in 6 weeks ... I'm going to do as much as I can to keep to this schedule.

That was enough good news to keep me going for quite some time. I have a time table on walking again which is helping for now. I am expecting more emotional ups and downs though as I try to get my leg back under me and go through frustrations and possibly additional challenges as yet unknown because there's been no weight bearing on this leg yet.

Thanks to everyone here for all the support so far and for what I will need going forward. I hope everyone here is doing well.

Diana

Old 11-12-2009, 08:05 AM

PS - next OS appointment is 6 weeks ... things must be looking good if they don't want to see me for another 6 weeks, you think? Place where stitches came out yesterday is looking pretty raw and red today so decided I'd put off my first shower where I can get my leg wet for one more day to make sure everything gets closed up well from the stitch removal. I got out the neosporin and put it on with a bandaid over it just to be sure.
Diana

Old 11-12-2009, 11:20 AM

11 posts, read 32,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankletwister View Post
X-ray showed bone growth and healing - I asked to see the x-rays yesterday (yes I was a chicken and couldn't bear to look at the x-rays right after it happened - still haven't seen the before pictures but am ready to look now) and saw that the fibula was broken in 2 places (top near my knee and bottom near my ankle - both healing well). There is one piece of bone that popped out from the tibia for some reason and isn't in line with the rest but the OS and PA told me that it was showing healing as well and if it does cause me any trouble (which they don't think it will) they could go back in and "lasso" it to pull it back (I'm hoping we don't have to do that). The rest of the stitches came out of my leg (and it feels soooo much better - I think the stitches may have been pinching a nerve or pulling on one of the muscles as the pain I was feeling in my ankle, that I thought might be from the pin, immediately went away when the stitches came out). And - best of all - I got clearance to start weight bearing. Not as tolerated but (using the walker or crutches) toe tip (whatever that means) for 2 weeks, as tolerated for 2 weeks, FWB for 2 weeks while weaning off the walker/crutches. So the OS thinks I will be walking again in 6 weeks ... I'm going to do as much as I can to keep to this schedule.

That was enough good news to keep me going for quite some time. I have a time table on walking again which is helping for now. I am expecting more emotional ups and downs though as I try to get my leg back under me and go through frustrations and possibly additional challenges as yet unknown because there's been no weight bearing on this leg yet.

Thanks to everyone here for all the support so far and for what I will need going forward. I hope everyone here is doing well.

Diana
glad to hear d good news diana. cmon, ur strong enough for another 6 weeks. i still have a long way to go till my next xray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness