Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:46 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times

Advertisements

Okay, so if you have flu accompanied by gastrointestinal symptoms, you can pretty much say, "I have swine flu." However, if you're lucky enough to not be in that significant number affected with gastrointestinal symptoms, then you have no way of knowing which flu you have. If this becomes as widespread as officials are predicting, there are probably hundreds of thousands of people who will have swine flu and not be certain that's what it is.

Even if I did have swine flu, I don't think I'd call my doctor just to tell him that. My case would go completely unreported, unless I got really sick and had to go to ER. If most people experience mild or easily treated symptoms, this will probably be the road most of us take, I'd imagine.

I haven't heard any predictions of how regular flu and swine flu would affect the general population in terms of absenteeism, etc. Regular flu affects so many people already, although certain groups are more at risk, of course.

If I get sick, I'll be sure to post it here (once I can get out of bed, that is!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Seasonal influenza is a respiratory illness, with no (or only rare) gastrointestinal symptoms. This is not true for H1N1, which has a pretty significantly high rate of nausea/vomiting/diarrhea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 09:06 AM

483 posts, read 1,561,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
Take some 100% Cranberry Juice with you on your vacation. It really helps cells fight off the virus. And extra vitamin C.
So these could be used as an extra preventative measure then? I know my grandmother had always said both would keep you healthy, but I have never really ever used either.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:54 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
H1N1 has already been found in the elementary schools here, and so far they say all of the symptoms have been mild.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:56 AM

403 posts, read 1,580,613 times
The 1918-1919 Spanish Flu infected 1/3 of the world's population, or 500,000,000 people. There were an estimated 50-100 million deaths from this pandemic. Case fatality rate was 2.5% and higher, so if you got sick with the 1918-19 strain, you would have a 2.5% or higher chance of dying from it.

Hope this clears it all up.

1918 Influenza Pandemic | CDC EID

Old 09-01-2009, 08:05 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,890 times
From what I expierienced, they are assuming any flu is swine. You can get the rapid flu test, but not much testing for swine flu. From the southern hemisphere winter, swine flu was the predominate strain.

The doc said I had flu, assumed swine. My doc gave me tamiflu as I am a high risk for complications. That said, the sinus infection I had in June was ten times worse that this.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:05 PM

298 posts, read 1,089,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
From what I expierienced, they are assuming any flu is swine. You can get the rapid flu test, but not much testing for swine flu. From the southern hemisphere winter, swine flu was the predominate strain.

The doc said I had flu, assumed swine. My doc gave me tamiflu as I am a high risk for complications. That said, the sinus infection I had in June was ten times worse that this.

Yeah I had a upper viral infection in March I believe and it was the worst. Lasted for about a month with body aches, stomach cramps, but the worst of it was the sinus problems that almost wouldnt go away even with the meds.

I think id rather have it rough with the flu and throwing up for a week than that stuff for a month.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:37 PM

350 posts, read 4,158,349 times
I had a flu in early March that I got the next day after a trip to New York City. I am assuming it was swine flu, even though swine flu wasn't in the news until late April. I never get the flu and this flu was bad. Body aches, high fever, general malaise, bad upper respiratory issues, coughing, chest burning. I didn't have any gastro symptoms though. The upper respiratory issues and coughing lasted awhile.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:00 PM

438 posts, read 1,730,893 times
So, if the swine flu is expected to mutate would the vaccine even help? At the point it mutates isn't the vaccine worthless? Please correct me if I'm not thinking about this correctly.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:59 PM

315 posts, read 776,313 times
I have friends who work in fields related to infectious disease. All I'm going to say, is that I hope everyone had a great summer, cause this winter is going to be a Mod cut: language! The CDC knows this virus is going to spread like a Texas wild fire on a hot summer day. It's going to mutate also. How deadly it will be, is anyone's guess, but people are going to get very sick and we all know where that leads. I also suspect it is going to have a significant impact on our efforts for economic recovery because come November, it's going to be on the news 24/7. Trust me on this one.

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-08-2009 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 09-08-2009, 12:29 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea13 View Post
So, if the swine flu is expected to mutate would the vaccine even help? At the point it mutates isn't the vaccine worthless? Please correct me if I'm not thinking about this correctly.
I'd think it would depend on how and how much it mutates. The vaccine may provide some protection if the virus still 'looks like' what the immune system is primed to fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness