Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Unfortunately during winter months in the north states it is harder, you need to be under direct sunlight for at least 20 minutes, only at a certain time of the day, and it also depends on the altitude. New Yorkers don't get enough "D" from the sunshine, that's a fact.
Doctor OZ this very morning was discussing this. He drew a line from around Charleston to LA and said anyone north of that cannot get enough sunlight and must take a supplement. Of course, he went on, you could just eat enough fish to get your supply, then he showed 5 big sardines for your daily diet. Jummmy?
Several supplements were shown, and he pointed out you need D3 from animals, not D2 from plants.

You also need K2 to help get it in your system. The Isotonix form is the best for absorption

Old 10-08-2009, 10:56 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Doctor OZ this very morning was discussing this. He drew a line from around Charleston to LA and said anyone north of that cannot get enough sunlight and must take a supplement. Of course, he went on, you could just eat enough fish to get your supply, then he showed 5 big sardines for your daily diet. Jummmy?
Several supplements were shown, and he pointed out you need D3 from animals, not D2 from plants.

You also need K2 to help get it in your system. The Isotonix form is the best for absorption
Be very careful to whom you listen. I KNOW Dr. Oz, and like him. But he's a SURGEON!!!!! That's very different from knowing a whole lot about internal medicine.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:34 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
CDC says best defense is hand washing. I suggest buying disposable latex gloves and using them in public places. I always use them at Wmart. One customer asked me why I was wearing the latex gloves and just then a women began coughing, a hacking cough, without trying to cover her mouth. I told her that's why. I also keep germicidal hand cleaner in my car and use it regularly.

Years ago a friend who is a nurse suggested I get a germicidal bathroom spray and use it regularly on the toilet surfaces and such. She said that most of us are normally cleanly and keep the bathroom up to par but when we are sick or tired we tend to let things slide. There are now sprays that advertise right on the can they kill flu bacteria. I suggest investing in a can of this stuff and spray your toilet and surrounding area often.
What's the difference between wearing gloves and touching your eyes, nose and/or mouth and not wearing gloves and touching your eyes, nose and/or mouth?
None.
Right?
So, what is the need for gloves?
The point is to avoid transmitting the virus/bacteria via your hands and that means keeping those hands, gloved or not, away from your face.
And why would anyone need to spray their own toilet?
Do you think you can contract the flu through the skin on your bumb? <sp?

Old 10-08-2009, 11:39 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Be very careful to whom you listen. I KNOW Dr. Oz, and like him. But he's a SURGEON!!!!! That's very different from knowing a whole lot about internal medicine.
Well, I DON"T KNOW Dr. Oz but i've seen him on Oprah in the past and i do not like him (he's annoying) but i had the sense that, despite the fact that he's a SURGEON, he is an encyclopedia of medical information and i imagine that he's expanded his "field of expertise" so that he can be an Oprah / T.V. star.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:24 PM

15,072 posts, read 8,629,287 times
One tip that never seems to be discussed is avoiding people who've been administered the attenuated live virus (flu mist) version of the vaccine.

Contrary to the claims of some "experts", there is ample evidence to show that the flu mist recipient can shed the virus, infecting those around them.

The maker of flu mist does a nice little tap dance around the subject when asked the question:

Quote:
"Can Flu Mist give you the flu?" the answer:

"The vaccination with FluMist involves the administration of attenuated (weakened) viruses into the nose by a nasal sprayer. Some recipients will experience low-grade fever, upper respiratory symptoms and muscle aches, but these are generally milder than when a person has a symptomatic influenza infection. Mod cut: copyright violationQUOTE]

What? That didn't answer the question. That just said you might experience symptoms that could be mistaken for the flu ... but you might feel worse if you got the real flu. (UNBELIEVABLE)

What's even more unbelievable is covered in the section:

Mod cut: copyright violations.
Although it is impossible to calculate the actual percentage of the population that falls into one of the various categories outlined above, it would be safe to say it covers a very large number of people.

To emphasize the salient points here:

Mod cut: copyright violations. ONE snippet per source.

So, apparently the FluMist manufacturer is admitting that those who receive the FluMist vaccine can shed the virus to others for at least 21 days after receiving the squirt. I especially like the part in parentheses " e.g. within the same household" as if to insinuate that one couldn't also shed the virus outside of the household.

Mod cut: copyright violations
"Upper respiratory symptoms" - coughing, sneezing etc. is the primary vector in spreading the flu virus. So in effect, all of those who take the FluMist who might experience symptoms like the flu, but not really the flu, could spread the virus to others via the flu-like symptoms?

Folks, this is insanity. How do you know who has and who has not received FluMist? Who among your friends, family, co-workers, and those of your children's friends and their family members have taken FluMist, and when.

How can one ensure that they avoid contact with the countless number of people they could easily come in close contact with which might fall into the category of those with "weakened immune systems" over a 21 day period?

Tip: avoid everyone, and especially those who have taken the vaccine.

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-09-2009 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: copyright violations

Old 10-09-2009, 11:56 AM

369 posts, read 942,416 times
to boost your immune system, use Vitamin D3 and an herb called astragalus.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:18 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakaveli View Post
to boost your immune system, use Vitamin D3 and an herb called astragalus.
Vitamin D3 as discussed is recognised by doctors as needed, especially in Winter.
I would suggest some investigation of astragalus, however. What do you think of the wiki article?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:47 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
One tip that never seems to be discussed is avoiding people who've been administered the attenuated live virus (flu mist) version of the vaccine.

Contrary to the claims of some "experts", there is ample evidence to show that the flu mist recipient can shed the virus, infecting those around them.

The maker of flu mist does a nice little tap dance around the subject when asked the question:

Although it is impossible to calculate the actual percentage of the population that falls into one of the various categories outlined above, it would be safe to say it covers a very large number of people.

To emphasize the salient points here:

Mod cut: copyright violations. ONE snippet per source.

So, apparently the FluMist manufacturer is admitting that those who receive the FluMist vaccine can shed the virus to others for at least 21 days after receiving the squirt. I especially like the part in parentheses " e.g. within the same household" as if to insinuate that one couldn't also shed the virus outside of the household.

Mod cut: copyright violations
"Upper respiratory symptoms" - coughing, sneezing etc. is the primary vector in spreading the flu virus. So in effect, all of those who take the FluMist who might experience symptoms like the flu, but not really the flu, could spread the virus to others via the flu-like symptoms?

Folks, this is insanity. How do you know who has and who has not received FluMist? Who among your friends, family, co-workers, and those of your children's friends and their family members have taken FluMist, and when.

How can one ensure that they avoid contact with the countless number of people they could easily come in close contact with which might fall into the category of those with "weakened immune systems" over a 21 day period?

Tip: avoid everyone, and especially those who have taken the vaccine.
There is no rational reason to "avoid" those who have been immunized with FluMist unless one has a severely weakened immmune system...

So if you just had a bone marrow transplant, you should probably follow the above advice...

Otherwise, it would be perfectly safe to ignore everything in the previous post.

"Can people receiving the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®) pass the vaccine viruses to others?
In clinical studies, transmission of vaccine viruses to close contacts has occurred only rarely. The current estimated risk of getting infected with vaccine virus after close contact with a person vaccinated with the nasal-spray flu vaccine is low (0.6%-2.4%). "
CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Q & A: The Nasal-Spray Flu Vaccine (Live Attenuated Influenza Vaccine [LAIV])

FluMist

"Myth: “You can get the flu from FluMist.”

Fact: You cannot get the flu from a FluMist vaccination. FluMist is a live, attenuated virus that cannot replicate at body temperature and cannot cause the flu. "
Myths about FluMist outrunning the facts (12/17/04)

Old 10-09-2009, 05:51 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
There is no rational reason to "avoid" those who have been immunized with FluMist unless one has a severely weakened immmune system...

So if you just had a bone marrow transplant, you should probably follow the above advice...

Otherwise, it would be perfectly safe to ignore everything in the previous post.

"Can people receiving the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®) pass the vaccine viruses to others?
In clinical studies, transmission of vaccine viruses to close contacts has occurred only rarely. The current estimated risk of getting infected with vaccine virus after close contact with a person vaccinated with the nasal-spray flu vaccine is low (0.6%-2.4%). "
CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Q & A: The Nasal-Spray Flu Vaccine (Live Attenuated Influenza Vaccine [LAIV])

FluMist

"Myth: “You can get the flu from FluMist.”

Fact: You cannot get the flu from a FluMist vaccination. FluMist is a live, attenuated virus that cannot replicate at body temperature and cannot cause the flu. "
Myths about FluMist outrunning the facts (12/17/04)

And ONCE AGAIN, you post "CLINICAL STUDIES" from the Center of Disease Control. Nope, these "CLINICAL STUDIES" are not valid due the conflict of interest.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:26 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Not surprisingly, very little scientific evidence that probiotics do anything...

Science-Based Medicine » Probiotics

Probiotics: Better Off Dead? / Science News

An Introduction to Probiotics [NCCAM Health Information]

MOST folks have no need for probiotics and much more study is needed to show any beneficial effects.

Your links are funny, in the last link they say:

"Some live microorganisms have a long history of use as probiotics without causing illness in people.
"

But yet they say, "Probiotics' safety has not been thoroughly studied scientifically, however. More information is especially needed on how safe they are for young children, elderly people, and people with compromised immune systems.
"

Well, I don't see how using yogurt or juice to promote the growth of friendly bacteria is safer then injecting little girls with the HPV vaccine when; No 1., they are not even close to becoming sexually active, and No.2, not enough studies have been done by INDEPENDENT research to see if it's actually effective and safe.

As a matter of fact, a little girl just died after she got the HPV jab, go take a look at the link so you can see her face!

Schoolgirl dies after cervical cancer vaccination | UK news | The Guardian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness