Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:06 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Hi, Need to talk to someone about my doctor has taken me off of Coumadin after being on it for over seven years. I had a DVT in my lower right leg and a PE. I've never had anymore blood clots after 2003. This all started in 2002 and I had a new lung doctor telling me today I didn't need to be on coumadin no more. This DVT and PE was caused by me sitting behind a computer desk for hours because I have no family history of blood clots.

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 11:25 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hi, Need to talk to someone about my doctor has taken me off of Coumadin after being on it for over seven years. I had a DVT in my lower right leg and a PE. I've never had anymore blood clots after 2003. This all started in 2002 and I had a new lung doctor telling me today I didn't need to be on coumadin no more. This DVT and PE was caused by me sitting behind a computer desk for hours because I have no family history of blood clots. Thanks, John

Not sure what your question is but a NATURAL blood thinner is fish oils. You can take these for the rest of your life and they boost brain power.

Welcome to Nordic Naturals

Old 09-29-2009, 10:21 PM

305 posts, read 1,234,206 times
how much were u on????

it may have been preventing you from dvt and pe,

still a good chance of occurance.....

Old 09-30-2009, 09:41 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,981 times
Be REALLY careful about coming off of Coumadin. It's a terrible drug to be on, I know, but there is a reason so many people are on it - it works and is easily monitored with blood tests. Negative family history doesn't really mean much - TONS of people sit all day behind a desk and don't get DVTs. Make sure you've been tested for Factor V Leiden, etc., before you stop anticoagulant therapy. Having a history of DVT makes it incredibly likely that you will have another one. The doctor may just want to step you down to Plavix +/- aspirin, or some other anticoag regimen.

As far as fish oil/ flax seed/garlic/gingko biloba etc., yes they are all "natural" blood thinners but you cannot rely on them as prevention of DVT. They are supplements not regulated by the FDA and there is no guarantee that the brand you get will have 1000 mg in each capsule, or have any in each capsule, or anywhere in between. For people who have never had DVT or other thrombotic events it's not a bad idea (probably won't hurt them) but DO NOT rely on it for prevention. Tread carefully.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:39 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
Hi, Doctor has told me to take chrildren aspirin a day to pervent strokes.

Thanks, John

Old 02-09-2010, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 18,275 times
I am dealing with the same thing right now but I have only been on Coumadin for 10 months. I am 34 years old and I have DVT in both legs, had my lungs collapse and Embolism. I saw a Vascular surgeon for Greenfield filters today and he is taking me off Coumadin for one week and running several blood tests on Monday then putting me back on Coumadin until he can assess the situation. He thinks I am too young for filters and my regular doctor thinks I am too young not to have them. I am so confused with different opinions and I certaintly dont want to die since they dont really go back in and check for clots, they assume they desolve after 6 months which is crazy to me. They are checking my blood to see if I have anything or disease that will keep me clotting. Same thing-no family history. It is dangerous being on Coumadin but can be dangerous being off.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
John, you are still on the computer a lot, judging by your posting here. Have you started breaking up your time? Doing any exercise? Just be careful.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 15,655 times
i had a massive blood clot that started at the vena cava kidney level and traveled down both legs they were apprx 3 ft long. No family history no flying, hemotologist and oncologist cant exsplain why this happened to me . Im on coumadin for 5 months now and hate it. Dr wont take me off and I am considering getting off myself and just taking asperin and and natural thinners, what does any one think? I think Drs keep you on the coumadin to cover thier butts cause if get another clot you can sue them so them dont take chances and keep you on them wheather you need them or not

Old 01-17-2012, 04:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew1969 View Post
i had a massive blood clot that started at the vena cava kidney level and traveled down both legs they were apprx 3 ft long. No family history no flying, hemotologist and oncologist cant exsplain why this happened to me . Im on coumadin for 5 months now and hate it. Dr wont take me off and I am considering getting off myself and just taking asperin and and natural thinners, what does any one think? I think Drs keep you on the coumadin to cover thier butts cause if get another clot you can sue them so them dont take chances and keep you on them wheather you need them or not
I think that would be taking your life in your hands. Talk to your doctor once more and ask about alternatives. Are you having side effects or you just don't like taking meds?

Old 01-17-2012, 05:37 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
My husband had a PE about 7 years ago, they never could come up with a reason why it happened, stress was the best guess. He was on coumadin for about 9 months and then he and his Dr. decided to get him off it. No problems since. I don't think it's a decision to be taken lightly, but I feel Dr.'s don't usually take folks off a drug unless they think it's a wise choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness