Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:14 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
I get powdered kelp from www.bulkherbstore.com and capsulize it myself. It is inexpensive. If you don't want to cap pills, you can get a bottle of them at a health food store. It is very high in iodine and good for hypothyroid. I went on vacation for a week without it, and I could tell a difference. Research kelp!! I also agree with the poster who talked about virgin coconut oil. With all the benefits of this food, we should ALL be eating it! It is good to do your homework. Best wishes!
I have read that kelp or iodine is good for hypothyroidism but my doctor told me to stop taking it, why?

In patients with iodine deficiency, kelp or iodine supplementation may be beneficial in reducing the size of a goiter and in improving thyroid function. Nevertheless, depending on where one lives, iodine deficiency may not be a problem, and excess iodine can precipitate thyroid disease, either hypo or hyperthyroidism.

MyThyroid.com: Hypothyroidism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:20 AM

Many people believe that an underactive thyroid and its associated weight gain can be treated by taking kelp supplements. This belief is based on the theory that iodine, which kelp supplements contain a lot of, can treat an underactive thyroid, also known as hypothyroidism. This belief stems from the fact that in the developing world, iodine deficiency is a leading cause of thyroid disease and goiters. While this is true for the developing world, iodine deficiencies are extremely rare in the developed countries of the Western world such as America, since common foods such as salt are fortified with iodine.

In America, the vast majority of thyroid disease is not caused by iodine deficiency. In fact, a Kelp thyroid treatment is probably a bad idea for most Americans, since thyroid glands are sensitive to excess iodine and it could actually aggravate and irritate the thyroid. The results for kelp and hypothyroidism might be great in developing countries, but in America this treatment doesn't make sense, and you should be very careful about taking kelp supplements.

If you have hypothyroidism, it is important to take a thyroid replacement hormone. You should also use one of the natural treatments that are proven to boost thyroid function. By using these 2 methods, you should be able to get your thyroid functioning normally again, gain energy by boosting your metabolism, plus lose weight in the process.

Using Kelp for Hypothyroidism - Kelp Thyroid

Question: What About Iodine and Kelp Supplements?

Answer: While some herbalists and vitamin proponents recommend iodine tablets or kelp supplements (which are high in iodine) for people with thyroid problems, you need to be extremely careful about any decision to take iodine or kelp supplements if you are on thyroid hormone replacement therapy.

In fact, the most common forms of thyroid disease found in the U.S. -- autoimmune thyroid diseases like Graves' Disease or Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- have nothing to do with iodine deficiency at all. Actually, thyroids are extremely sensitive to iodine, and you need to be careful about adding too much iodine to the diet as it can irritate or aggravate the thyroid. Most doctors say not to worry about some iodized salt, or the iodine present in a food item such as an occasional sushi dinner. But even many prominent alternative doctors such as Andrew Weil and Stephen Langer advise against taking iodine or kelp supplements for people with autoimmune problems.

Kelp, Iodine, and Thyroid Drugs -- Thyroid Drug Information Database -- Thyroid Drugs & Manufacturers

Old 05-25-2010, 04:37 PM

889 posts, read 2,713,265 times
Miborn, That's interesting info. It's good to study both sides, and make informed decisions on what's best in your particular situation. I, personally, find one capsule of kelp every other day to be helpful. I only use sea salt, which isn't iodine fortified. It is good to have a doctor you can TRUST. One who will explain different theories with you. I haven't found one yet. :-)

Old 05-25-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
Miborn, That's interesting info. It's good to study both sides, and make informed decisions on what's best in your particular situation. I, personally, find one capsule of kelp every other day to be helpful. I only use sea salt, which isn't iodine fortified. It is good to have a doctor you can TRUST. One who will explain different theories with you. I haven't found one yet. :-)

Glad you liked it..

Old 07-22-2010, 01:25 PM

5 posts, read 41,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I have just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have the classical symptoms also. I've been reading up on it and have read if your iodine is low, it can cause it. I took a skin iodine test and it indicated my iodine is very low. I don't eat fish and salt which are a good source of iodine. Does anyone else have an iodine deficency? How do you suppliment? Did the hypothyroidism go away after being regulated?
your Hypothyroidism will never go away, you have to take meds. for the rest of your life, Hypothyroidism is a serious condition which effects your whole body, I take twice a day 5 drops of iodine in 10 ounce water it warms up your bodytemp.I buy my at Wellnessresources.com
and also to you own research online there are so many websites with very good info

Old 07-24-2010, 08:53 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Women who are peri/menopausal frequently have hypothyroidism, but it might not be percieved as such by a doc cuz the labs are still technically in the normal range. If it's only borderline, diet can help. Beyond that, you need someone who knows what they're doing. Seems like a lot of confusion out there with what to do about it. Christine Northrup has a guideline on her web site Women to Women directed at menopausal women.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I have read that kelp or iodine is good for hypothyroidism but my doctor told me to stop taking it, why?

In patients with iodine deficiency, kelp or iodine supplementation may be beneficial in reducing the size of a goiter and in improving thyroid function. Nevertheless, depending on where one lives, iodine deficiency may not be a problem, and excess iodine can precipitate thyroid disease, either hypo or hyperthyroidism.

MyThyroid.com: Hypothyroidism
every cell of your body needs iodine, don't let your doc. tell you different do you own research

Old 08-06-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara500 View Post
every cell of your body needs iodine, don't let your doc. tell you different do you own research
I take iodine everyday go to( Wellnessresoures.com)do get your Thyroid helper supplements, they really help me a lot

Old 08-08-2010, 05:16 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I have just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have the classical symptoms also. I've been reading up on it and have read if your iodine is low, it can cause it. I took a skin iodine test and it indicated my iodine is very low. I don't eat fish and salt which are a good source of iodine. Does anyone else have an iodine deficency? How do you suppliment? Did the hypothyroidism go away after being regulated?
The skin iodine test is not reliable to check for an iodine deficiency. Many factors determine how rapidly the iodine color fades from the skin, including things like the air temperature and even altitude. The color would disappear more quickly in Denver than in Los Angeles. The color can even fade due to a changes in skin chemistry, although the iodine is still there.

See here for an in depth but technical discussion of iodine deficiency: Iodine Deficiency: eMedicine Endocrinology

See here for a more user friendly discussion: Iodine and the Thyroid

And here about treatment: Should You Take Your Thyroid Medication at Night? . Talk to your doctor about the best time to take the medication if first thing in the morning is inconvenient for you.

One more: WHFoods: iodine .

So, I would not rely on the skin test to detect iodine deficiency. As others have told you, do not take iodine without discussing it with your doctor. If you do not need it, you may make matters worse --- and most people in the USA are not iodine deficient. Even if you do not eat fish or use table salt, you are likely getting enough from other dietary sources. For most of us, iodized table salt is the only iodine supplement we need.

If your doctor has told you that you are hypothyroid, just take the medication. It's inexpensive and it works! Most folks only need levothyroxine, which is available as a generic and is taken once a day. There can be some differences in the generics, so your pharmacist should give you the same generic every time. Remember, the goal of treatment is to make you feel normal. Do not expect superhuman energy or immediate weight loss. If you need to lose weight, you will still need to diet and exercise.

I started my levothyroxine yesterday.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:37 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
My acupuncturist, who is also a nutritionist, was just talking to me about iodine the other day.
She was talking about iodine deficiency and thyroid issues.
This is the product that she supplied me with.
http://www.standardprocess.com/display/displayFile.aspx?docid=142&filename=/Public/Lit/TabSheets/organicallyboundminerals6275.pdf (broken link)
I believe the iodine level in this product is relatively low but i am not at all sure about that.
I hope you can find alternative ways to successfully treat your hypothyroid condition.
Not that you couldn't do this yourself, but here's a google page for you.
alternative treatment for hypothyroidism - Google Search
The Standard Process product in your link would provide 675 micrograms of iodine per day if you take 3 a day as the web page recommends. Add in what you are probably getting from diet, and that is way too much! And why buy an expensive supplement to get trace amounts of vitamins from alfalfa? If you want to take vitamins, get a generic multivitamin and take it once a day. It also touts the benefits of chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is what make green veggies ... green! Just eat the veggies! See here: WHFoods: Can you tell me more about chlorophyll, including what foods it can be found in and the effect that cooking has upon it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness