Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 06:32 AM

622 posts, read 3,113,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
IMO, I don't think people need to be so hung up on what the scale reads.
I haven't stepped on a scale for years. I'd rather use my clothes as a "weight" indicator.

Food for thought: Keep in mind that a woman weighing 150 pounds with 19% fat will look much smaller (and be much healthier) than a woman at 150 pounds with 35% fat. They weigh the same, yet the composition is different. Because muscle is more dense than fat the person with less fat and more muscle will look smaller.

People need to stop being so obsessed with body weight and start paying attention to body composition. How much body fat do you have compared to muscle? Simply seeing how much you weigh isn't very helpful.
It also helps to understand and have some knowledge between the ratio and percentages of body fat.

For me, stepping on a scale is pointless.
I'm 5'10 and I strength train on a daily basis. And yes, I have muscles......lol

BTW, I'm not referring to anyone in this thread, it's just an observation.

Perfect!

From a muscle building perspective...
At 6ft 3 I've been 250+. I'd love to get back up there and ideally be 260's. I used to think I wanted to be in the 270+ range, but I'd take 260 now that I'm in my late thirties.

I've been as low as 200 which I will NEVER get back down to again. I looked like a scarecrow. Way too thin. I was under 10% bf at that level but it's not for me. If you're proportioned, it's all good.

Anyway, to all the starvation dieters out there, don't be afraid to put on some muscle. That is what shapes your bodies and helps burn extra fat while not exercising. Muscle is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 06:54 AM

110 posts, read 777,673 times
Lowest weight was 98 lbs, when I was going through major stress with my ex and could barely stand to look at food. When I'm really stressed, I lose my appetite completely.

Other than that, from high school until I got pregnant I was always 116-118 lbs. Height 5'4". That 118 is my 'ideal' weight (what I feel and look best at).

Most I ever weighed was 140, when pregnant; and then a few years later it crept up to 138 (UGH!). I hated the way I looked both times.

When I changed my diet to eliminate starches (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes) I dropped down to 120. Now I range between 115 and 119 depending on how active I am and if I start to cheat by going to the bakery, LOL! If I see I've hit 120 I go on a salad/fruit/veggies-only binge for 4 or 5 days and it always drops back to 117 or 118.

I used to be able to eat anything and never go above 118, but once I hit my 40s (pregnant at 35) that all changed forever. Those starches are the killer for me.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:13 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
Perfect!

From a muscle building perspective...
At 6ft 3 I've been 250+. I'd love to get back up there and ideally be 260's. I used to think I wanted to be in the 270+ range, but I'd take 260 now that I'm in my late thirties.

I've been as low as 200 which I will NEVER get back down to again. I looked like a scarecrow. Way too thin. I was under 10% bf at that level but it's not for me. If you're proportioned, it's all good.

Anyway, to all the starvation dieters out there, don't be afraid to put on some muscle. That is what shapes your bodies and helps burn extra fat while not exercising. Muscle is a good thing.

Exactly!....

Yay!...another person that completely understands. You get points from me...lol
That's the whole thing, some are totally misguided and not aware that the more muscle they have the better and the scale numbers mean nothing.
Take a person who says they weigh what they should compared to a person who pays attention to percentage of total body fat.....there is a BIG difference. The latter person is in much better shape physically.

Scale numbers mean nothing! ...lol...I try to teach this to as many people as possible. Hopefully more will see the light...and not the one at the end of the fridge!...lol

Old 06-24-2007, 12:38 AM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,857 times
I'm currently about 240-250.
Graduated HighSchool - 295 (football weight)
College, probably 270
College the last time I was at my low, 225 and stressed.

I guess I should say i'm 6'6''.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Exactly!....

That's the whole thing, some are totally misguided and not aware that the more muscle they have the better and the scale numbers mean nothing.
I get your point, but wouldn't say that scale numbers mean absolutely nothing.
Of course I understand that muscle matters (as well as BMI)--and muscle gives you shape and definition.
However, there is no way I'm ever going to look like a competitive bodybuilder--and a lot of people, especially 40 year-old weekend warrior guys, are not going to hit the scales at their high school football weight.
And that's okay.
I'm a little weirded out that I lost so much weight this past year, but my scale was in storage (it still is! I weighed myself at the Y) and I just have not been keeping track--for literally a year and a half.
I don't think the numbers on a scale are completely insignificant, but it's certainly wise to take all factors into consideration.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:30 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
However, there is no way I'm ever going to look like a competitive bodybuilder--

It's not about looking like a competitive bodybuilder. And that is a common misconception most woman in particular have when it comes to strength training.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:41 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Not to go off topic too much on this thread, but I have to complain that taller people have a definite advantage with weight gain. If you're 5'8" and gain 10 lbs, no one really notices it. If you're 5' tall (like me), even a little extra weight definitely shows! It's so unfair!

Old 06-24-2007, 10:27 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
I see what you're saying, you think that the fat has more area to spread around on a taller person. The reality is it all congregates in one area on me. I'm 5'8" and ten pounds makes a lot of difference. When I gain ten pounds I go up a whole size and I hear about it from my daughter. You've just got to love teenagers! You may not notice that my southern hemsiphere has expanded, but it is quite noticeable, which is why I try to keep my weight under control. I think it's a struggle for most people no matter how short or tall they are.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:13 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
It's not about looking like a competitive bodybuilder. And that is a common misconception most woman in particular have when it comes to strength training.
Maybe that's not what it's about, but I've seen a lot of it--that look has been kinda trendy in Colorado.
Don't get me wrong, I love using my muscles, I try to swim daily.
Some people weigh more because they are overweight, not because of muscle mass. And others weigh less because they aren't benchpressing anymore.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:19 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,541 times
I am 5'9" and 45 years old. My lowest was 125, living through hell in my first marriage and smoking like a chimney instead of eating. I got a divorce and quit smoking and gained 20 pounds.
My highest weight was 171 shortly after I remarried. Too happy I guess! Hubby has a huge appetite and I started to eat as much as he does. Not a good thing!

My weight now is 146. I am most comfortable at 140. I work at my weight always, except on Sunday, which is my day to relax and snack. I lost the weight and keep it off by eating the food pyramid, based on 1200 calories to start, then worked my way up to about 2000 calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness