Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 12:17 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley_D View Post
Nicotine is very bad for you, without regard to its symptoms and side effects, it gets through the blood/brain barrier, makes a home in your nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, forces your brain to up-regulate these receptors to the tune of 8X(!) to ensure that it has a place to stay permanently.

It creates dopamine pathways in your brain which link positive memories about smoking to every aspect of your life, making you forget how calm and lovely life was before nicotine, and artificially activating your flight/fight response mechanism every time the nicotine level begins to drop.

It's very, very harmful and makes permanent changes not only to your brain, but to your genes. Nicotine users have some genetic "switches" flipped on irreversibly.

Gum and patches are just designer nicotine drugs. They are more of the poison from the same people who sell cigarettes and snuff. Stay away from all forms of nicotine for great justice!

Great post! More detail here: Discovery Health "How Nicotine Works"

Old 10-22-2010, 12:26 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,545 times
Don't listen to Suzy-Q, she smokes Carltons.

Edit: And also nicotine makes me go poop, so its gotta be good for you.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:31 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Great post! More detail here: Discovery Health "How Nicotine Works"
From the above link.......
Toxicity
Anti-smoking advocates highlight the long-term health effects, like cancer and emphysema, that result from a lifetime of smoking or chewing tobacco --
but these maladies are the result of chemicals in cigarettes other than nicotine.

While the nicotine isn't good for you all the time it's the other chemicals in cigarettes that do the most harm.

This is what pokes big holes in the anti-tobacco crowd's claims.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
Don't listen to Suzy-Q, she smokes Carltons.

Edit: And also nicotine makes me go poop, so its gotta be good for you.
Ah, Jason, never a cigarette has passed my lips!

Did used to get horribly sick trapped in a closed car with two parents puffing away. That was a great deterrent to ever wanting to try to smoke! Worked for my brother, too.

Both parents eventually quit cold turkey, by the way.

And there are far better routes to a healthy GI system!

Old 10-22-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Toxicity
Anti-smoking advocates highlight the long-term health effects, like cancer and emphysema, that result from a lifetime of smoking or chewing tobacco --
but these maladies are the result of chemicals in cigarettes other than nicotine.

While the nicotine isn't good for you all the time it's the other chemicals in cigarettes that do the most harm.

To quote myself from a previous post, "It is true that nicotine replacement products are less dangerous than smoking, but that does not make them risk free." And nicotine is addictive.

And it is kind of hard to have a cigarette without the tobacco. The chemicals and the tobacco go hand in hand.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:45 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Assuming you arent getting your nicotine through cigarettes, I heard nicotine is actually good for you.
You've heard right. It is used in hospitals overseas, but I'm not sure exactly for what conditions.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:51 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,545 times
Suzy I have a better way to quit smoking. It basically consists of me drinking three 40 oz. Schlitz malt liquor beers back to back then getting so sick that I can't keep any food down for two whole days! The last thing you'll think of is a cigarette, I promise!

Old 10-22-2010, 01:31 PM

523 posts, read 3,804,633 times
nicotine is turning out to be a potentially very interesting possibility for use in alzheimer's disease. clearly a lot more work is needed before this materialises into something which will touch the general population, though.

as far as im aware, there is no convincing evidence that long term nicotine use from nicotine replacement therapy has any significant health concerns (beyond addiction itself), and, obviously, the acute symptoms of nicotine exposure associated with it's short term use. this includes an absence of any robust data to show an increased risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease etc. this is despite there now being significant levels of clinical experience in people who have used it for a long time (in many cases for years).

furthermore, experts in smoking cessation will often not even give their patients a timescale over which to use nicotine replacement - and will often have them on doses way above that currently approved by the FDA. they keep them on this till their patients no longer have significant cravings, which may take weeks, months or even years.

terminating nicotine replacement therapy too early seriously increases chance of a relapse to smoking. and 50% of smokers will die of a smoking related disease. if people need to keep using nicotine replacement therapy for longer, and in the absence of any real/proven health concern despite many years of clinical experience, the decision seems obvious.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:29 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,222,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Toxicity

Lets review the "anti tobacco crowd's claims"

Smoking is addictive...

Smoking kills....

Those 2 claims are what every thing else boils down to....

There aren't any "holes" in the claims because

A. Smoking IS addictive
B. Smoking DOES kill

Feel free to dispute but there is no evidence to support any other view.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:51 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Nicotine, by itself, is used as a bug poison--or, at least it CAN be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness