Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 01:32 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You'd need the context. It could reflect very differently on his general philosophy, to know whether he was talking about war, or public assistance. Or abortion, or bailing out mortgage bankers. Or capital punishment or airport security or tariffs on Chinese-made goods. Without knowing that context, it would be irrelevant whether he said the words or not, and a gross miscarriage of history to apply them to any contemporary issue.
It's pretty clear by reading the previous sentences that Jefferson was differentiating his less interventionist presidency from the contemporary version of the militarily aggressive Bush/Cheney administration, at the time represented by the Federalists. I would respect the tea partiers a lot more if they followed that aspect of the Jeffersonian philosophy. They seem to make some odd differentiation between the dangers of big government from those of big military and big business. In Jefferson's mind, they were all tied together.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:33 PM

783 posts, read 815,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It's pretty clear by reading the previous sentences that Jefferson was differentiating his less interventionist presidency from the contemporary version of the militarily aggressive Bush/Cheney administration, at the time represented by the Federalists. I would respect the tea partiers a lot more if they followed that aspect of the Jeffersonian philosophy. They seem to make some odd differentiation between the dangers of big government from those of big military and big business. In Jefferson's mind, they were all tied together.
Well Jefferson did not belive much on industrialization and big buisness he had wanted the US to remain an agricultural slaveholding society.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:54 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,063,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
They seem to make some odd differentiation between the dangers of big government from those of big military and big business. In Jefferson's mind, they were all tied together.
Like that is their only they are incapable of to differentiating!

Old 10-10-2010, 05:34 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,349,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
Like that is their only they are incapable of to differentiating!

While I have no clue what you said......I agree with it 200%

Old 10-10-2010, 05:35 PM

Roy,

since you started this discussion

it's your turn..........

Old 10-10-2010, 05:44 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,063,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
While I have no clue what you said......I agree with it 200%
Neither did I, tu many martinezess wit olivs.

What I meant to say was, "Like that is the only odd differentiation that they make."

How was that?

... where's my shaker...

Old 10-10-2010, 06:56 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Roy,

since you started this discussion

it's your turn..........
Looks like the tea party moved elsewhere. No problem with that as I'd rather have martinis with you guys.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:14 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,995,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
NIce ducking and dodging so let me put it a bit differently. Did Jefferson say anything like that? Don't prove it just tell me yes or no.
Hi There roysoldboy ..... I truly enjoy all of your posts
I will give you Rep later ..... "THEY" still won't let me !

I just had to add this most timely and historically accurate Thomas Jefferson statement : "I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious."

The sheer genius of Thomas Jefferson's above statement certainly rings true today as we consider the "Political Circus Nightmare" in D.C. and the acute ineptitude of "The One & Crew" !

Let the ducking and dodging of the simpletons among us regarding the most intellectual President in history (Thomas Jefferson) now commence !

Thanks Y'all / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 10-10-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
I just had to add this most timely and historically accurate Thomas Jefferson statement : "I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious."

Thanks Y'all / Old Sgt. Lamar
Here again, the quote has little meaning to the words of Jefferson without the context of the letter.
And since it is in response to correspondence from Mr Ludlow, even less can be obtained from the extracted quote.

But I read it as - the he thought that small governance works with small groups, but at what point does the group become unmanageable.
But with out the entire correspondence, one doesn't know.

Read past the headlines. (They are created to grab your attention only)

TO WILLIAM LUDLOW.
MONTICELLO, September 6, 1824.
SIR, --

The idea which you present in your letter of July 30th, of the progress of society from its rudest state to that it has now attained, seems conformable to what may be probably conjectured. Indeed, we have under our eyes tolerable proofs of it. Let a philosophic observer commence a journey from the savages of the Rocky Mountains, eastwardly towards our seacoast. These he would observe in the earliest stage of association living under no law but that of nature, subsisting and covering themselves with the flesh and skins of wild beasts. He would next find those on our frontiers in the pastoral state, raising domestic animals to supply the defects of hunting. Then succeed our own semi-barbarous citizens, the pioneers of the advance of civilization, and so in his progress he would meet the gradual shades of improving man until he would reach his, as yet, most improved state in our seaport towns. This, in fact, is equivalent to a survey, in time, of the progress of man from the infancy of creation to the present day. I am eighty-one years of age; born where I now live, in the first range of mountains in the interior of our country. And I have observed this march of civilization advancing from the seacoast, passing over us like a cloud of light, increasing our knowledge and improving our condition, insomuch as that we are at this time more advanced in civilization here than the seaports were when I was a boy. And where this progress will stop no one can say. Barbarism has, in the meantime, been receding before the steady step of amelioration; and will in time, I trust, disappear from the earth. You seem to think that this advance has brought on too complicated a state of society, and that we should gain in happiness by treading back our steps a little way.

I think, myself, that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious. I believe it might be much simplified to the relief of those who maintain it. Your experiment seems to have .this in view. A society of seventy families, the number you name, may very possibly be governed as a single family, subsisting on their common industry, and holding all things in common. Some regulators of the family you still must have, and it remains to be seen at what period of your increasing population your simple regulations will cease to be sufficient to preserve order, peace, and justice. The experiment is interesting; I shall not live to see its issue, but I wish it success equal to your hopes, and to yourself and society prosperity and happiness.

Last edited by plannine; 10-10-2010 at 08:06 PM..

Old 10-10-2010, 08:05 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,215,767 times
Prove to me Jefferson didn't say this: "get over here ho! I own you so I can do it whenever I want!"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History