Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:20 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
Pa has a done of great history...dont forget how much influence the great Ben Frankling had in PA!
Ben was a great man!....

Eyeglasses, electricity, Franklin Stove, US Post Office, First US Currency, Lightning Rod (for buildings), and of course all his contributions to making the USA what it is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 12:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Ben was a great man!....

Eyeglasses, electricity, Franklin Stove, US Post Office, First US Currency, Lightning Rod (for buildings), and of course all his contributions to making the USA what it is today.
Don't forget Franklin's opposition to slavery, his writing the first gradual emancipation law in Pennsylvania (which other northern states copied), and wanting to include a gradual emancipation provision into the Constitution based on the law he wrote (which stated that no one born after the law was passed could be enslaved). That provision being taken out of the Constitution in order to keep Georgia and South Carolina in the Union would make the Civil War inevitable a little over 70 years later.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:11 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
I agree 100 percent with South Carolina...especially during the north vs south war.
It also had an interesting history during the colonial times and during the Revolutionary War.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:19 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
It also had an interesting history during the colonial times and during the Revolutionary War.
I'd like to see Ninety Six; I understand some of the fortifications and siegeworks are in decent shape. I wonder if they were "improved" by the WPA during the Great Depression.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:28 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'd like to see Ninety Six; I understand some of the fortifications and siegeworks are in decent shape. I wonder if they were "improved" by the WPA during the Great Depression.
I've never visited the battle site but i have that on my list of places to visit.

I think most would be surprised that there were over 130 battles and skirmishes in South Carolina during the Revolutionay War.
South Carolina - Revolutionary War Military Engagements

Rebecca Motte mansion where British CIC Henry Clinton made his headquarters during the occupation at 27 King St. Charleston.
http://www.essential-architecture.co...South/049b.JPG

Mrs. Motte informed patriots in the city to burn her house down so Clinton couldn't continue using it however most of it survived as the fire was extinguished quickly.

Motte Mansion Drawing Room where Clinton used to entertain guests.
http://research.history.org/CWDLImag...w/RR014904.jpg

She along with Eliza Yonge Wilkinson are my two favorite woman patriots of the South during the war as i'll probably lay a Red Rose with a Yellow Jessamine (state flower) on their gravesites when i have a chance to visit them .

Old 12-29-2010, 04:32 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
At the other extreme, perhaps Idaho would be the state with the LEAST interesting history, Idaho has the interesting distinction of being the only present-day state over which no flag has ever flown except the Stars and Stripes.
I have to politely let you know that you are incorrect. Where did you get your information?
Did you know Idaho has a state flag like every other state does? Did you know that Idaho's historic state seal which is on the state flag is the only state seal designed by a female in America? Study up on history jtur88 before making false remarks. The Basque flag flies in Boise.
Idaho has one of the most interesting and colorful histories of any Western state, and precious metals, gold to be exact from Idaho Territory helped save the union during the Civil War.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I have to politely let you know that you are incorrect. Where did you get your information?
Did you know Idaho has a state flag like every other state does? Did you know that Idaho's historic state seal which is on the state flag is the only state seal designed by a female in America? Study up on history jtur88 before making false remarks. The Basque flag flies in Boise.
Idaho has one of the most interesting and colorful histories of any Western state, and precious metals, gold to be exact from Idaho Territory helped save the union during the Civil War.
No flag OF ANY NATION has flown over Idaho to signify sovereignty, except the USA flag. You knew that I meant that.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:57 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No flag OF ANY NATION has flown over Idaho to signify sovereignty, except the USA flag. You knew that I meant that.
Whoa, sorry if I misunderstood you, this is an internet forum after all.
There are currently five independent sovereign Native American Indian nations in Idaho who fly flags, the people who used to own the land before western migration. There was also a time in early days of Idaho history when the British owned trading forts, Fort Hall and Fort Boise and flew the British flag, they had possessory rights in Idaho, although this is before Idaho's state lines as we know them today were drawn, back then it was Idaho Territory, but both forts are well in Idaho's boundaries.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:34 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Don't forget Franklin's opposition to slavery, his writing the first gradual emancipation law in Pennsylvania (which other northern states copied), and wanting to include a gradual emancipation provision into the Constitution based on the law he wrote (which stated that no one born after the law was passed could be enslaved). That provision being taken out of the Constitution in order to keep Georgia and South Carolina in the Union would make the Civil War inevitable a little over 70 years later.

Which reminds me that I do believe Pennsylvania had a Constitution prior to the Revolution which was used as a "model" for the US Constitution.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Whoa, sorry if I misunderstood you, this is an internet forum after all.
There are currently five independent sovereign Native American Indian nations in Idaho who fly flags, the people who used to own the land before western migration. There was also a time in early days of Idaho history when the British owned trading forts, Fort Hall and Fort Boise and flew the British flag, they had possessory rights in Idaho, although this is before Idaho's state lines as we know them today were drawn, back then it was Idaho Territory, but both forts are well in Idaho's boundaries.
None of those claimed any territorial rights or sovereignty. They were simply private outfits, that flew the flag of their home country on their own flagpole, they way ships in harbor fly their own country's flag. Those trading forts were not owned by the British government, which declared no authority. They were simply owned by British people who were there doing business, and may have been under British protection, same as any other British subject overseas. I don't know what 'possessory' rights are, but I doubt that any government of any country other than the USA ever formally (or even informally) declared any part of what is now Idaho to be a part of their sovereign territory.

You know as well as I do that Indian Nations in the USA have no internationally recognized status, and are entirely subject to the Constitution of the USA, and are merely granted measures of autonomy within the American sovereign framework. Indian nations have no power to deny anyone their constitutional rights as an American. They are absolutely within the United State of America, and can deviate from US law only to the extent that the US grants them special rights, through treaty.

In any case, a trading post at Fort Boise, and the fact that Idaho has a state flag, fall far short of making the entire panoply of Idaho's history more "interesting" than any other state. In fact, the only thing interesting about Idaho's history is the unique fact that I pointed out, that you seem so determined to contradict.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-30-2010 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History