Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:53 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I'd have to go with Stalin or Mao in terms of the sheer number of dead subjects that were a direct result of their rule.

They make Hitler look like a wannabe.
Agreed!

But I do also agree with other posters that the Kim regime in North Korea was devastating enough to be called one of the most tyrannical regimes ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:54 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
I would have to say Mao would be first in line, estimated deaths due to direct or indirect policies, 50 million. Then Stalin, estimated deaths due to direct or indirect policies, 20 million.

However, death tolls due to policies, the winner would be WWII, 66 million deaths.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I would have to say Mao would be first in line, estimated deaths due to direct or indirect policies, 50 million. Then Stalin, estimated deaths due to direct or indirect policies, 20 million.

However, death tolls due to policies, the winner would be WWII, 66 million deaths.
World War Two was a regime?

Old 03-01-2012, 10:40 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Nothing in modern times even comes close to many ancient empires. What about the Aztec government regularly seizing and sacrificing tens of thousands of it's citizens, or any one of several Ancient Chinese dynasties (especially this guy: Qin Shi Huang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

There isn't a government on the planet in the modern age that could pull that kind of mind-boggling cruelty and direct control over the lives and deaths of vast numbers of people without any limit or question whatsoever.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post

They most tyrannical regime ever wasn't necessarily one that had a billion subjects, so didn't necessarily rack up big numbers of victims.

There's a difference between the most tyrannical regime, and an ordinary tyrannical regime that had China's population to victimize.

A king of an island with 100 people, who kept them all in chains and forced slavery, and meticulously kept them all alive for his own pleasures, would be much more tyrannical than Mao, with zero deaths.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:50 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooua View Post
Oh, you can't have this kind of thread without bringing up Stalin, "The Butcher in Blood." He ordered the forced starvation of 6 million Ukrainians, besides instituting the Gulag and the Purges. No one knows how many died under Stalin, but 27 million of his countrymen dead from his policies is a reasonable estimate.

Stalin: The Greatest Soviet Butcher - YouTube

Mao Ze-Dong managed to wipe out about 50 million of his people.

The worst genocides of the 20th Century
I think Stalin takes the cake. I think his paranoia was unmatched by anyone. If a subordinate worked hard to impress Stalin by coming up with some new idea--Stalin would take the idea and have the subordinate killed because in his mind this person was a threat.

As you said, no one killed as many as Stalin. He and Hitler were the worst human beings in recent history.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:52 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
They most tyrannical regime ever wasn't necessarily one that had a billion subjects, so didn't necessarily rack up big numbers of victims.

There's a difference between the most tyrannical regime, and an ordinary tyrannical regime that had China's population to victimize.

A king of an island with 100 people, who kept them all in chains and forced slavery, and meticulously kept them all alive for his own pleasures, would be much more tyrannical than Mao, with zero deaths.
Huge difference between someone who can be a tyrant over 1 billion and one who controls 100. How can you even think this? The tyrant of a billion is obviously the most tyrannical no matter how you spin it.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:26 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Huge difference between someone who can be a tyrant over 1 billion and one who controls 100. How can you even think this? The tyrant of a billion is obviously the most tyrannical no matter how you spin it.
Really? If there are five people in my family and I go on a spree and kill them all, am I more or less a murderer than someone who does the same with a ten member family? Would I deserve a death sentence only half as much as the other person? Am I only 50% as horrible?

Old 03-03-2012, 09:29 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Nothing in modern times even comes close to many ancient empires. What about the Aztec government regularly seizing and sacrificing tens of thousands of it's citizens, or any one of several Ancient Chinese dynasties (especially this guy: Qin Shi Huang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

There isn't a government on the planet in the modern age that could pull that kind of mind-boggling cruelty and direct control over the lives and deaths of vast numbers of people without any limit or question whatsoever.
How could I forget the ancient Chinese? You are very much correct in this post. I do not know much about the ancient Aztec society, but the Qin Dynasty was definitely up there on the top tyrannical regimes.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:33 AM

78,427 posts, read 60,613,724 times
In modern times I have to give the nod to Stalin because much of Mao's deaths were due to ineptitude as opposed to tyranny.

The Aztecs were an excellent selection. Funny how people bemoan the evil europeans coming to modern day mexico as if they wrecked some sort of utopia straight out of a disney movie or Avatar. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History