Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:02 AM

264 posts, read 272,537 times

Advertisements

Im certainly no expert on accent, dialect or language but i can hear at least superficial similarities between these two. Appalachian and Ulster Scots.
And given that very many of the Appalachian people have Ulster Scots roots I cant help feeling that they sound remarkably similar in tone given the time and physical distance theyve been apart. And interestingly as I'm someone born and brought up in Ulster and who now lives beside the Ards peninsula which is one of the areas of rural areas of east and north Ulster where that accent just about clings on, its remarkable that i can understand the Appalachian one far better that the Ulster Scots. And like the old fella at the start of Appalachian vid, we also say poke for a bag. Especially older folk.

Ulster Scots

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QkvMz_wI7zA

Appalachian.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU

Last edited by BarringtonNI; 04-21-2015 at 06:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 11:44 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
The consensus among linguists is that North American English is more conservative - not just in pronunciation but in grammar and lexicon. Most features that distinguish American English are conservative and not innovative.

The OP should ask the reverse question, because it's British accents have changed the most since colonization.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:11 AM

264 posts, read 272,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
The consensus among linguists is that North American English is more conservative - not just in pronunciation but in grammar and lexicon. Most features that distinguish American English are conservative and not innovative.

The OP should ask the reverse question, because it's British accents have changed the most since colonization.
I would guess that might be because that in the hundred and fifty maybe two hundred years or so years after the establishment of the colonies, before mass eastern and southern European immigration to the US, most immigration was from the English speaking British Isles.
The colonies, then states, relative vast size and isolation meant that there would be a relatively minor influence on the spoken language from other languages such as French and Spanish from their colonies and the small amounts of the many native tongues on the frontiers. By the time of mass non English speaking immigration in the mid 19th century onwards, American English was already on its own ininimitable course. But with perhaps a century or so of minor linguistic isolationism while the US established itself as a growing and powerful nation.

During this time the UK was forging a global empire and engaging in numerous wars, mainly with its close European neighbours. The proximity of the continent, the close trade as well as conflict with the diverse countries of northern and western Europe as well as the influence of words and phrases brought back by returning administrators , soldiers and colonist from literally hundreds of diverse languages may have given the developement of British English a more diverse and polyglot feel.

All this might be complete ballix, as i am also no expert on the subject, but there might be some truth to it.

Last edited by BarringtonNI; 04-23-2015 at 04:37 AM..

Old 04-24-2015, 01:14 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarringtonNI View Post
Im certainly no expert on accent, dialect or language but i can hear at least superficial similarities between these two. Appalachian and Ulster Scots.
And given that very many of the Appalachian people have Ulster Scots roots I cant help feeling that they sound remarkably similar in tone given the time and physical distance theyve been apart. And interestingly as I'm someone born and brought up in Ulster and who now lives beside the Ards peninsula which is one of the areas of rural areas of east and north Ulster where that accent just about clings on, its remarkable that i can understand the Appalachian one far better that the Ulster Scots. And like the old fella at the start of Appalachian vid, we also say poke for a bag. Especially older folk.

Ulster Scots

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QkvMz_wI7zA

Appalachian.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU
You are absolutely correct. The Appalachian dialect and accent are related to Ulster Scots roots. And the reason why it has persisted for so long is because these folks have remained, even to this day (at least the older generations), somewhat isolated from the rest of the the US. There have been some fascinating documentary films made about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History