Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 06:06 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
When I remember MLK, probably the first thing I remember is his determination to achieve his aims without violence. That should make him a hero to people of all races and all colors.
I think those who resent King - and that's what it is, resentment - do so because they not only don't think civil rights for non-whites was a notable achievement (they're not white, so they don't see any personal benefit), they see civil rights as a zero-sum game. It's not, of course, but when greater equality is given to non-whites, they see a loss in the erosion of their institutional advantages. They hate the thought of giving up what used to accrue to them based not on merit but happenstance of birth. They're wrong about civil rights - we all benefit from equality. Society is improved. Talent is not wasted. But all they can see is that next time around, they won't automatically get the job instead of the non-white person, or a similar dynamic.
That, and the uppity black person who didn't just quietly sit at the back of the bus just upsets the hell out of them.

But as you note, King's advocacy of non-violence served all Americans well. Even the racists who wished him dead (and those who are quietly more than pleased that he was 'put in his place' with a bullet) benefited. For all the strife of the civil rights era, it was still remarkably less violent than we might have expected, especially had there been a paramount leader who preached resistance without any such restraints. But they don't see it. All they see is a black man who made the playing field less uneven, and thus less biased towards whites. They'll never forgive such a perceived affront.

Of course, they have to cloak their anger in the guise of moral affrontery.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:42 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
MLK and the policies he ushered in might have benefited blacks but at what cost too everyone else? Doesn't anyone else matter? Mass forced integration caused a lot of communities and their schools to decline by spreading crime and dysfunction into them. I guess that doesn't matter to anyone either? It also led to affirmative action and being judged by the color of your skin and not the content of character.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:03 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
MLK and the policies he ushered in might have benefited blacks but at what cost too everyone else? Doesn't anyone else matter? Mass forced integration caused a lot of communities and their schools to decline by spreading crime and dysfunction into them. I guess that doesn't matter to anyone either? It also led to affirmative action and being judged by the color of your skin and not the content of character.

50 percent of homicides in America today are created by a segment of America that makes up about 12 percent (actually it's probably lower than 12 percent since roughly half of that 12 percent are male, and male commit most homicides). There isn't an inner city in America today that you can walk around in at night today without fearing for your safety.

Regarding the states - the States created the Federal Government, it wasn't the other way around.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:18 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

50 percent of homicides in America today are created by a segment of America that makes up about 12 percent (actually it's probably lower than 12 percent since roughly half of that 12 percent are male, and male commit most homicides). There isn't an inner city in America today that you can walk around in at night today without fearing for your safety.

Regarding the states - the States created the Federal Government, it wasn't the other way around.
What do those statistics have to do with the accomplishments Dr. King made for America? If there are individuals committing crime, those individuals are to blame, not Dr King. Dr. King didn't tell people to commit crime. He even mentioned that there was a segment of the Black population causing crime that the rest of the Black population had to deal with. Sounds like criminals don't listen to anyone no matter what race they are.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:19 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Well, I will tell you this. Dr. King was willing to die to ensure that change came. I am willing to die to make sure we don't revert back to the days of segregation. Some things are worth dying for. Some things I'm willing to get at all costs. The way I see it, Blacks were being subjected to horrible injustices and this country could not go on like that. Either we all live in a free country, or this isn't a free country for anyone.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:05 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
Quote:
Blacks = crime and dysfunction?

Thank you for perfectly summing up the racist objection to King.

PS - It 'led to' being judged by the color of your skin? That's what Jim Crow was all about. That's what segregated schools were all about. That's why bans on interracial relationships were all about. That's what the systematic disenfranchisement of blacks was all about. And yet you peddle this nonsense that it was unknown until the civil rights era 'led' to it.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:55 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Blacks = crime and dysfunction?

Thank you for perfectly summing up the racist objection to King.

PS - It 'led to' being judged by the color of your skin? That's what Jim Crow was all about. That's what segregated schools were all about. That's why bans on interracial relationships were all about. That's what the systematic disenfranchisement of blacks was all about. And yet you peddle this nonsense that it was unknown until the civil rights era 'led' to it.
If the shoe fits, wear it. No one has objection to the black community because they are a different race or skin color but because of behavior and attitude and incompatibility. In other words they are judging them by their character. Jim Crow and segregation was about addressing a realized political and physical threat.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:19 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
If you guys want to continue to expose the ugly, racist side of your personalities, this thread will be closed. Racism has no place in City-Data discussions.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:27 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
If the shoe fits, wear it. No one has objection to the black community because they are a different race or skin color but because of behavior and attitude and incompatibility. In other words they are judging them by their character. Jim Crow and segregation was about addressing a realized political and physical threat.
I try to be careful in my use of the word "racist".

I do feel at times that it is overused and sometimes it can be a pejorative term that is simply used to shut down a conversation.

In this case, though, the term is appropriate. You make no attempt to distinguish between the overwhelming majority of black Americans who are law abiding and between a few who are not.

A phrase like "No one has objection to the black community because they are a different race or skin color but because of behavior attitude and incompatibility" makes it clear that you are talking about black people as a whole, rather than segment that are not law abiding.

I would ask the readers of this thread to ponder that gross generalization. I suspect the vast majority of white people do not agree with your statement. I suspect you probably do not think that is a bigoted statement, but it clearly it is. So, in your own words, "if the shoe fits, wear it".

I personally as a white man must express my revulsion at how two or three posters have tried to make a thread about MLK into a general assault on black people and civil rights. Its very sad to me that fifty years after the death of MLK that are country still seems so preoccupied with issues about race. Much of the debate we are currently having about immigration is cloaked with racism. The suggestion that a former President was a Muslim and born outside of the USA is another example of what I am talking about. Some people are clearly incapable of putting this nonsense behind them and moving forward. Its a shame and a pity. Its impossible to have any respect for people who fall into such a category.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:45 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Much of the debate we are currently having about immigration is cloaked with racism.
Huh...

Quote:
85 percent of black Americans said they supported a merit-based immigration system, rather than the current flow of chain migration.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=ve1....0.26n4R7X6GzU

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History