Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which period/era?
Pre-Roman Ancient 4 16.67%
Roman 3 12.50%
Dark Ages/early Medieval (About 500-1100AD) 1 4.17%
Late Medieval (1100-1450AD) 0 0%
Age of Exploration (1450-1830) 6 25.00%
Early Modern Era (1830-1900) 10 41.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 06:45 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I would love to visit all historical periods ( as a wealthy individual not one of the opressed masses) but no way would I want to live there. I am far too fond of modern medicine, running water, electricity, safe potable water,equal rights, varied cuisines and foods, books, travel and democracy.

Sign me up for a visit to just about any era , anywhere around the world, but long term, NO THANK YOU. I say this as an Archaeologist who would be absolutely herself with excitement to spend some time in places like Ancient Mesopotamia, Pre-Colombian America, Ancient Rome, The Kingdom of Siam, Age of Enlightenment,etc.... ( that is armed with some hidden comforts and a lot of medical knowledge, drugs etc...) and discover how people truly lived, thought, worked, worshipped and died. However there is no way I would offer myself to be stuck anywhere before the Victorian period and even then I am not too keen.

The 1980s are my ideal era to live in !
What would be interesting is to rephrase the question. You get to look at the era, and what it was like and you don't get to remember that you aren't OF the era. You don't know any way of living but then. The work, the sanitation, the food are as you always have known. I imagine this might change some answers.

I'd like to have been around during the western migration. The idea of being able to pull up stakes and just go sounds like a wonderful idea. I kind of did anyway, but then you really left behind the past.

I'd be happy with music which is homemade and food you picked from your garden and have space and silence and not the distractions of today. I wouldn't know how much harder life would be since it would just be that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 01:29 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Right. I'd want to be an American Indian before the Europeans came. The options listed do seem to assume Europe or such. I wouldn't want to have lived in Europe because of Jew-hating, including Italy.
A Jewish friend of mine said he'd want to live in Vienna at the turn of the last century because of the culture- music, intellectual, etc. He didn't seem aware of the socio-political part of it.
He also owns a farm in a beautiful part of Tuscany (he's American, wife inherited it). When the place was robbed of about $10k of farm equipment and tools, he was outraged- "The goddamn modern world intrudes!" as if there was no robbery or such in rural areas before.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,311,281 times
well I would like to have lived in the 1920s-1930s to be able to see Gershwin play his wonderful music.....

Old 01-21-2013, 03:01 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,025,023 times
I'm black, so I'd prefer "Before the Age of Exploration", thank you very much.

Anything after that time was HELL for my people.

Hasn't been right since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History