Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:55 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
True, she is worn down and strained but I'm still not seeing the attractiveness and beauty. Perhaps, you prefer a harsher, manlier-looking woman but to each his own. I think this is a good example of what belmont22 is referring to and I have to agree with her/him (sorry, I don't know your sex).
The woman is not manly- She is a woman/ I am not saying she is a striking beauty but if you have an eye for beauty you can find it in most woman. You don't have to find "attractiveness" in the mentioned image...a person can still have beauty and not attract. By the way I am male...having been in the music business and in the arts - I was exposed to many different types of woman....dozens of them...I found beauty in all woman...by the simple fact that I love woman in general....some men don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 08:26 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I think it's more than just fashion. True fashion was more homely back then and women weren't as pressured to look sexy, but even their facial appearances and such looked more rugged and arguably more "masculine". I think it's because people had harder lives back then.

Oddly though I think makeup often makes women look more masculine, when it's overdone. Girls in the 80s and girls today actually look a bit less girly I think than girls in the 90s and 00s despite those decades being dominated by tomboy fashion for this reason.
The 70's were quite interesting, women looked quite masculine back then. I think it has more to do with the way women are seen in society. Oversexualized societies tend to see women as different and many times unfortunately see women as less qualified in other areas.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:39 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Men and women in past generations had to be really tough to survive. Women probably had more muscle mass, belly fat, rough, and older-looking skin. Their health deteriorated faster than it does now also. Women also dressed much more conservative in past generations, and while they may not have dressed like men, their clothes were often made for hard work and element survival rather than fashion purposes.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Men and women in past generations had to be really tough to survive. Women probably had more muscle mass, belly fat, rough, and older-looking skin.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:54 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Maybe it's the other way around. Maybe men in their powdered wigs and frilly shirts and tights looked more like women in the past?

http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwik..._AF_Callet.jpg

Old 06-22-2013, 09:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
The 70's were quite interesting, women looked quite masculine back then. I think it has more to do with the way women are seen in society. Oversexualized societies tend to see women as different and many times unfortunately see women as less qualified in other areas.
What???

This was the most popular poster in the 70s - maybe of all time!

Last edited by Administrator; 01-08-2014 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: copyrights

Old 06-22-2013, 11:38 PM

102,204 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
I think it's more than just fashion. True fashion was more homely back then and women weren't as pressured to look sexy, but even their facial appearances and such looked more rugged and arguably more "masculine". I think it's because people had harder lives back then.

Oddly though I think makeup often makes women look more masculine, when it's overdone. Girls in the 80s and girls today actually look a bit less girly I think than girls in the 90s and 00s despite those decades being dominated by tomboy fashion for this reason.
Back when? What are we supposed to be discussing here? Who posts an OP in a history forum without mentioning a historical period?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-22-2013 at 11:54 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 11:50 PM

102,204 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
I mean more like pre-1920 or so. The 40s-50s-60s was more like today.
The fashions of the Victorian Era and La Belle Epoque were beautiful, and emphasized women's curves in their own way. Hair was considered a woman's "crowning glory", and was kept long and feminine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Are you kidding? That was when young women wore miniskirts, and older women always wore dresses. The curvy Marilyn Monroe look was still popular.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:53 AM

1,300 posts, read 960,388 times
Quote:
I mean more like pre-1920 or so. The 40s-50s-60s was more like today.

Pre 1920, I agree, the women werent exactly babes-

Old 06-23-2013, 04:55 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What???

This was the most popular poster in the 70s - maybe of all time!
Kathy, we are not talking about bathing suits or posters. We are talking about everyday looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History