Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 06:33 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Most posts on this thread have to do with British telling Americans that they weren't needed and would have won the war without us. It is not American chest thumping. It is explaining the facts.
Nobody has said that the Americans 'weren't needed', this thread is more about (some) Americans attitude of 'we saved your ass'. Tell me why don't the Russians ever say that? After all without the war in the east there would have been no Dday, why don't the British say it? After all without Britain standing alone against the Nazis for two years there would have been no Dday, why don't the Canadians say it? After all without the Canadians Dday wouldn't have succeeded, the same can be said for the Australians etc etc, do you really think that from 39 to 41 the British just sat doing nothing 'waiting to be saved'? Do you really think that the Atlantic convoys were simply American ships protecting British ships? Do you really think that all the bombing raids over Germany were American, I suppose you also believe it was Americans that defeated Rommel at El Alemain? Have you ever actually thought about the make up of the troops that landed on the beaches of France during Dday? I'm sorry but the 'facts' are that it was NOT only American or Americans that defeated the tyranny of Nazism or Japan despite what Hollywood, John Wayne or Donald Trump tells you, them's the facts.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:48 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,620,890 times
Re: don't you Yanks ever give up? that war ended 70 years ago and we Brits have been at your side in plenty of conflicts since'

And I hope it continues. Looking back on the War, I'd think both countries had their share of a specific close- run thing namely the battle of Britain and Midway. Both battles had great consequences if they were lost for countries and the outcome of the War itself.

One fact that is indisputable is that it was the 'Allies' who defeated the 'Axis'. They did it with great determination and sacrifice but at the same time prosecuting a life and death war that comes with its own great difficulties when intensive cooperation needs to be hashed out between them. Something had to give at some particular times of course to the outrage of participants. But nevertheless they got it done. Contemplating getting run over by the Axis concentrated the mind wonderfully. I hope that tough 'cooperation' between Britain and the US continues in the 21st and on. It's getting rough out there , you know?

Old 01-27-2016, 08:02 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,606,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: don't you Yanks ever give up? that war ended 70 years ago and we Brits have been at your side in plenty of conflicts since'

And I hope it continues. Looking back on the War, I'd think both countries had their share of a specific close- run thing namely the battle of Britain and Midway. Both battles had great consequences if they were lost for countries and the outcome of the War itself.

One fact that is indisputable is that it was the 'Allies' who defeated the 'Axis'. They did it with great determination and sacrifice but at the same time prosecuting a life and death war that comes with its own great difficulties when intensive cooperation needs to be hashed out between them. Something had to give at some particular times of course to the outrage of participants. But nevertheless they got it done. Contemplating getting run over by the Axis concentrated the mind wonderfully. I hope that tough 'cooperation' between Britain and the US continues in the 21st and on. It's getting rough out there , you know?
if history ever repeats itself, I cant see the same "allies" coming together again, countries and people have moved on in the last 70 years and attitudes have changed.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:53 AM

Re:.'if history ever repeats itself, I cant see the same "allies" coming together again, countries and people have moved on in the last 70 years and attitudes'

I guess we'll just have to see how things work out. Britain and the US have a history of conflict and resolution. The odds are the arrangement will continue. I'd think this is the usual in relationships. So far it looks the two countries are committed to exusting as democracies. But I realize things could change as country dynamics and relationships morph on the world stage. Britain's geographic feature as an island does dictate in a way its diplomacy and politics. Let's hope the country and the US don't drift from their Constitutions.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:44 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Most posts on this thread have to do with British telling Americans that they weren't needed and would have won the war without us. It is not American chest thumping. It is explaining the facts.
Go back and read the last paragraph of the very first posting, the one that started this thread. It is a totally mindless assertion about Brits not liking the U.S., and that paranoia clearly provided the basis for the OP generating the thread. Thump, thump, thump the chest.

Now here we are - years later - and Arthur326 make even more egregious accusations and totally unnecessary deeming references, and then launches into "how great we were to rescue you."

It is as much about present-day lack of confidence in America as anything else. That is clearly what generated the thread, and it keeps on coming up. If some of these American posters had more confidence in their country now I cannot imagine that they would find it necessary to underpin their remarks with so much ugly snottiness.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:59 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,606,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re:.'if history ever repeats itself, I cant see the same "allies" coming together again, countries and people have moved on in the last 70 years and attitudes'

I guess we'll just have to see how things work out. Britain and the US have a history of conflict and resolution. The odds are the arrangement will continue. I'd think this is the usual in relationships. So far it looks the two countries are committed to exusting as democracies. But I realize things could change as country dynamics and relationships morph on the world stage. Britain's geographic feature as an island does dictate in a way its diplomacy and politics. Let's hope the country and the US don't drift from their Constitutions.
I wasn't really referring to Britain and the USA, those two will always work together, I was thinking more about the other countries that formed part of the allies, many of them back then were british colonies, they are now independent countries in their own right and in any forthcoming fight might say, "no thanks chum, we'll sit this one out".

Old 01-27-2016, 10:13 AM

^^^
Got it.

And speaking of 'allies' now we have a ring- side seat with a 'partner' (up to a point!) in the Syrian debacle. Russia's now got in on the action fighting the extreme Islamists. Would love to be a fly in the wall if and when there are any 'joint' discussions on military movements or what. This could arguably be a low test-tube case containing things to nowhere between previous 'allies' in fighting a threat to global stability in the modern age.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:57 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Nobody has said that the Americans 'weren't needed', this thread is more about (some) Americans attitude of 'we saved your ass'. Tell me why don't the Russians ever say that? After all without the war in the east there would have been no Dday, why don't the British say it? After all without Britain standing alone against the Nazis for two years there would have been no Dday, why don't the Canadians say it? After all without the Canadians Dday wouldn't have succeeded, the same can be said for the Australians etc etc, do you really think that from 39 to 41 the British just sat doing nothing 'waiting to be saved'? Do you really think that the Atlantic convoys were simply American ships protecting British ships? Do you really think that all the bombing raids over Germany were American, I suppose you also believe it was Americans that defeated Rommel at El Alemain? Have you ever actually thought about the make up of the troops that landed on the beaches of France during Dday? I'm sorry but the 'facts' are that it was NOT only American or Americans that defeated the tyranny of Nazism or Japan despite what Hollywood, John Wayne or Donald Trump tells you, them's the facts.
The Russians do say that. Like everyone else, they emphasis their role in the war as the decisive one.

And so do you. I have been to your (excellent) Imperial War Museum. Not much mention of anyone other than the UK in that place.

As for the others, somewhere in Ottawa, Auckland, Canberra, etc, there are some men drowning pints and boasting how "we saved their arses" meaning both Brits and Yanks.

John Wayne? He ducked WWII. I have to say you lot have an unhealthy obsession with movies. Perhaps try reading a book? John Keegan ring a bell? He was English.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:18 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
Because some of them have a complex about the US. Or about themselves, really.

Imagine this: controlling and oppressing as much and as many they did in oh say 1700. Then the lowly subjects steal the best pie on the window sill and kick your uppity ass back to england...twice. Then the pie stealers have to travel back across the pond to save you twice in the last 100 years because you can't take care of your own back yard.

Imagine how bitter that pill is for some brits. The ones with the classic british superiority complex.

Ever see the movie TWINS? By 1900 America was Arnold's character---produced by the best stock that Europe had to offer--after so many of the best and brightest fled. What was left was the danny devito character. And then the devito character holds its head up high, puffs out its chest and says "no, no, it's me who is the schwarzennegger!"

Old 01-28-2016, 06:56 AM

586 posts, read 831,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Because some of them have a complex about the US. Or about themselves, really.

Imagine this: controlling and oppressing as much and as many they did in oh say 1700. Then the lowly subjects steal the best pie on the window sill and kick your uppity ass back to england...twice. Then the pie stealers have to travel back across the pond to save you twice in the last 100 years because you can't take care of your own back yard.

Imagine how bitter that pill is for some brits. The ones with the classic british superiority complex.
Could you please offer some information as to what your basing these opinions on? Your not describing anything in this, or indeed your previous posts on this topic, that I've ever seen or been aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History