Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 04:28 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
I have seen this particularly in the past 10-15 years or so, Brits who claim that it wasnt the US that helped them defeat Germany, but in fact it was Canada, or themselves or some combination of other countries other than America that help save them from the Nazis.

I know around the world associating with America is not "cool" anymore, but why deny something that ultimately did happen just because you dont like the country?

The industrial might and commodities wealth of the British Empire exceeded that of Germany and even its new European conquests. Britain also seized the Dutch East Indies, and Belgium Congo plas protected Free French colonies in Africa like Senegal and held the Dutch West Indies preventing them from becoming German bases in the Americas. The problem was Britains might was spread across the globe and one had to get it to Britain which was under a U-boat blockade after 1939 until it was broken in 1942 by joint US Royal navy efforts (British radar and code breaking plus the US could build ships faster than Germans could sink them). Thus the Battle of the Atlantic was won and Britain became an unsinkable aircraft carrier and landing craft. D Day and round te clock bombing of Germany finished them off. .

Old 02-07-2016, 08:30 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,422,155 times
^^^ I seem to recall some other navy in the Battle of the Atlantic, which fought it, and ran convoys from 1939 to 1945.

As a side note, I wish someone would put a bullet in this threads head already.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:04 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
^^^ I seem to recall some other navy in the Battle of the Atlantic, which fought it, and ran convoys from 1939 to 1945.

As a side note, I wish someone would put a bullet in this threads head already.

This navy sailed His Majesty's Canadian Ships (HMCS) and flew planes belonging to the RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force) ! Two of the 5 Normandy Invasion Beaches were largely taken by Canadian Forces as was a key Rhine River crossing when Montgomery moved into Northern Germany. Many of the Lancaster bombers were built in Canada by AVRO (Canada) where the factories never had their production interrupted by German bombs or missiles.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:23 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,437,594 times
Britain the parent nation, must always feel a superiority over the child nation the United States of America. How absurd to try twist history and say they could have won without the US.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:02 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,017,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Britain the parent nation, must always feel a superiority over the child nation the United States of America. How absurd to try twist history and say they could have won without the US.
The USA, must always feel a superiority over other Anglo nations (like the UK or Canada). How absurd to try to twist history and say they 'saved the worlds assess' and would have won without the UK, or Canada, or Russia, or Australia etc etc.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:35 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
I suspect it's resentment of American cultural hegemony.
That puts my Beatles, Stones, and Clash records as well as the Shakespeare and HG Wells books on my shelf in a pretty funny light. Not to mention the language I am using.

Returning to the topic at hand, I thought most of us agreed WWII was a brilliant joint effort, Hollywood films notwithstanding.

I must locate and post the photo of me next to the Monty statue in London. And yes phobcat and easthome, the pose is quite respectful.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:33 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur326 View Post
British mostly the younger generation are living in a world of utter delusion that they could have survived the war without the US. Understandably they do not like to be reminded of the fact that " their former upstart colony had to save their bacon. When people need help, whether it be money, or actually help, they usually end up resenting the fact...
Without North Atlantic convoys Britain would have starved to death by the end of 1943 latest ..40 million tons of supplies were sent to Britain 90 percent from the US, 25 million tons arrived safely while 15 million tons were destroyed by the U-Boots. These 25 million tons kept Britain alive until the D-Day ..
Feel free to provide some evidence for this assertion. Oh, wait-- you can't, because none exists.

First, Germany did not have the means to completely isolate the UK. Supplies would have come in even absent American intervention. Leningrad wasn't even starved into submission in three years, and its a lot easier to isolate a city than it is to isolate an island the size of California.

Second, the pre-war British diet was a fairly luxurious first-world diet. Those allow for a lot of belt-tightening short of starvation. For one, meat is very inefficient to produce, but is unnecessary. Eliminating meat and devoting local land to producing vegetables would have made up for a significant loss of imports (the UK of the time imported a lot of meat and dairy products). And the evidence is that they could have ridden out whatever blockade the Germans could have put up, as this study - in which diets based entirely on per capita shares of what could be produced domestically were tested - demonstrates:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/...cond-world-war

Third, in the unlikely event that the blockade got too much for the UK, they would simply have agreed to terms. Hitler did not want to conquer the UK, except to the extent that it might be necessary to knock them out of the war. He wanted a free hand on the continent. Had things gotten bad enough, this is how the war in the West would have ended - with terms, not the conquest and occupation of the UK.

Fourth, even ignoring all of the above, Germany was soon going to have its hands so full of the USSR that it would have to abandon the blockade.

Did the United States make things much easier for the UK during World War II? Yes. (and vice versa, it should be noted) But Britain was never likely to fall to Germany, for Germany simply did not have the means to take it down.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:50 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The USA, must always feel a superiority over other Anglo nations (like the UK or Canada). How absurd to try to twist history and say they 'saved the worlds assess' and would have won without the UK, or Canada, or Russia, or Australia etc etc.
our presence was the main reason your not speaking Russian or japanese

Old 02-08-2016, 11:43 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
That puts my Beatles, Stones, and Clash records as well as the Shakespeare and HG Wells books on my shelf in a pretty funny light. Not to mention the language I am using.

Returning to the topic at hand, I thought most of us agreed WWII was a brilliant joint effort, Hollywood films notwithstanding.

I must locate and post the photo of me next to the Monty statue in London. And yes phobcat and easthome, the pose is quite respectful.
Good! I'll maybe post mine of me standing at the Universal Studios sign

Last edited by pbobcat; 02-08-2016 at 11:52 AM..

Old 02-08-2016, 12:00 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
our presence was the main reason your not speaking Russian or japanese
And what's the main reason for your appalling lack of grammar?

Even if you could possibly, at a stretch, make a case for Britain speaking Russian having had no support from the US, how were we going to be forced to learn Japanese?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History