Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 03:11 PM

804 posts, read 620,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Bold and red proves my point. If national security was number one reason of internment camps, then everybody on American soil should have been treated exactly the same.

Why ONLY Japanese-American citizens were singled out? Explain this to me, otherwise, there is no point to keep on "arguing."

They weren't singled out as you claim:

National Archives: World War II Enemy Alien Control Program Overview

Furthermore, on the basis of hemispheric security, the United States offered to intern allegedly dangerous enemy aliens living in Latin American countries and even recommended which enemy aliens should be interned. Over fifteen Latin American countries accepted the offer and eventually deported a total of over 6,600 individuals of Japanese, German, and Italian ancestry, along with some of their families, to the U.S. for internment. Few, if any, of those deported received any sort of a hearing so many did not know the specific reasons for their deportation. Often these individuals were deported based on hearsay or for other political reasons.

By the end of the war, over 31,000 suspected enemy aliens and their families, including a few Jewish refugees from Nazi Germany, had been interned at Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) internment camps and military facilities throughout the United States.

Along with detainment and internment, the U.S. also implemented the Individual Exclusion Program under the authority of Executive Order 9066 to exclude individuals of German or Italian ancestry, including American citizens, from designated military zones. While the War Department considered thousands for exclusion, it only issued exclusion orders for several hundred individuals. Many enemy aliens living in military zones and elsewhere in America were subject to curfews and other restrictions on their conduct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 03:18 PM

39,340 posts, read 27,726,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
They weren't singled out as you claim:

National Archives: World War II Enemy Alien Control Program Overview

huh? They were not singled out as I claim?

You meant there were NON Japanese immigrants or NON Japanese-American citizens in the Japanese internment camp?

Yes, Japanese-Americans were singled out because they were considered as enemies. They were the scapegoat of a war somebody else started.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
On that we will disagree and that is ultimately what I think our differing views on the issue stem from. Those who surrender liberty for security and all that.
I kind of see why we differ so much on this issue, you look at at from an ethical and emotional perspective and I don't. I believe that the only ethical thing during war is victory. I know that military commanders of all armies sacrifice their own units to achieve more pressing tactical and strategic objectives. It's not very ethical to sentence your own troops to death yet necessary in the battlefield.

Again, war is ugly. There is NOTHING romantic about it and winning is everything as often it is a difference between life and death, especially since we know how some of our adversaries treated our POWs and conquered populations. The only ethical thing in war is victory. Everything else during war is secondary.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
huh? They were not singled out as I claim?

You meant there were NON Japanese immigrants or NON Japanese-American citizens in the Japanese internment camp?

Yes, Japanese-Americans were singled out because they were considered as enemies. They were the scapegoat of a war somebody else started.
I don't know about Japanese internment camps but in internment camps on American soil there were more than just the Japanese. Again, just for you

National Archives (World War II Enemy Alien Control Program Overview)

By the end of the war, over 31,000 suspected enemy aliens and their families, including a few Jewish refugees from Nazi Germany, had been interned at Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) internment camps and military facilities throughout the United States. Some of these internment locations included Sharp Park Detention Station, California; Kooskia Internment Camp, Idaho; Fort Missoula Internment Camp, Montana; Fort Stanton Internment Camp and Santa Fe Internment Camp in New Mexico; Ellis Island Detention Station, New York; Fort Lincoln Internment Camp, North Dakota; Fort Forrest, Tennessee; and Crystal City Internment Camp, Kenedy Detention Station, and Seagoville Detention Station in Texas.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I kind of see why we differ so much on this issue, you look at at from an ethical and emotional perspective and I don't. I believe that the only ethical thing during war is victory. I know that military commanders of all armies sacrifice their own units to achieve more pressing tactical and strategic objectives. It's not very ethical to sentence your own troops to death yet necessary in the battlefield.

Again, war is ugly. There is NOTHING romantic about it and winning is everything as often it is a difference between life and death, especially since we know how some of our adversaries treated our POWs and conquered populations. The only ethical thing in war is victory. Everything else during war is secondary.
Well, according to that article that you provided,

"Immediately after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, President Roosevelt issued Presidential Proclamations 2525, 2526, and 2527 to authorize the United States to detain allegedly potentially dangerous enemy aliens. The FBI and other law enforcement agencies arrested thousands of suspected enemy aliens, mostly individuals of German, Italian, or Japanese ancestry, living throughout the United States. "

I have absolutely no problems with that whatsoever. If they were "suspicious", then arrest them because like you said, war is ugly.

How can you justify putting thousands of INNOCENT citizens to the camp based on national security reasons? Can you prove these children, 80 year old women were the threats of national security? How can you possibly justify that?!

Key word: potentially dangerous enemy aliens. How can five year old children who were born here in the United States = potentially dangerous enemy aliens/ How can you possibly justify that?

Old 01-15-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I don't know about Japanese internment camps but in internment camps on American soil there were more than just the Japanese. Again, just for you

National Archives (World War II Enemy Alien Control Program Overview)

By the end of the war, over 31,000 suspected enemy aliens and their families, including a few Jewish refugees from Nazi Germany, had been interned at Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) internment camps and military facilities throughout the United States. Some of these internment locations included Sharp Park Detention Station, California; Kooskia Internment Camp, Idaho; Fort Missoula Internment Camp, Montana; Fort Stanton Internment Camp and Santa Fe Internment Camp in New Mexico; Ellis Island Detention Station, New York; Fort Lincoln Internment Camp, North Dakota; Fort Forrest, Tennessee; and Crystal City Internment Camp, Kenedy Detention Station, and Seagoville Detention Station in Texas.
Well, if your national security is number one reason of internment camp, THEN EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON AMERICAN SOIL should be put in the camp. Nobody can really prove certainly somebody is not potentially dangerous. So your point?

Old 01-15-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Well, according to that article that you provided,

"Immediately after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, President Roosevelt issued Presidential Proclamations 2525, 2526, and 2527 to authorize the United States to detain allegedly potentially dangerous enemy aliens. The FBI and other law enforcement agencies arrested thousands of suspected enemy aliens, mostly individuals of German, Italian, or Japanese ancestry, living throughout the United States. "

I have absolutely no problems with that whatsoever. If they were "suspicious", then arrest them because like you said, war is ugly.

Stop here. Do you see now how absurd your claim about singling out the Japanese was?

Old 01-15-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I believe that the only ethical thing during war is victory. I know that military commanders of all armies sacrifice their own units to achieve more pressing tactical and strategic objectives. It's not very ethical to sentence your own troops to death yet necessary in the battlefield.

You insist on comparing apples to oranges.

I don't support radical change of rules of engagement, but there is still rules of engagement if you want to talk about military. What a shame.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Stop here. Do you see now how absurd your claim about singling out the Japanese was?
No you stop.

Yes, they certainly singled out Japanese-Americans because ONLY Japanese-Americans have been put in the JAPANESE INTERNMENT camp. ONLY THEM.

If you want to defend your national security argument, then put everybody in the camp because nobody can really prove other citizens were not potentially dangerous.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding?! How can my argument be possibly absurd?

I said "if they acted suspicious, then arrest them because war is ugly."

How can you call a five year old who was born in the United States suspicious? How can you justify that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History